New to Modeling and Want to Dip my Toe in the Water

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Strange marketing decision.
They are a pretty small company and the founder (Cliff Chase) likes to do things his way. I suspect that partnering with a big distributor would put him in a position where he wouldn't be able to run the company the way he wants to. They do have a 15 day trial period, so you can get a full refund (sans shipping costs) if you don't like their stuff.

So, what all that posting crap above tells you is how few of the people here have actually heard the glory of that particular setup. Sure, you won't be playing any metal with it, but then again, for the type of tones you posted in the original post, this is a fine rig indeed.

As with all Internet inquiries, consider the source.

Go play around with a few pedals that you can find at local music stores. That is the best test.

So, what all that posting crap above tells you is how few of the people here have actually heard the glory of that particular setup. Sure, you won't be playing any metal with it, but then again, for the type of tones you posted in the original post, this is a fine rig indeed.

As with all Internet inquiries, consider the source.

Go play around with a few pedals that you can find at local music stores. That is the best test.
You realize the whole point of this post was about modeling right?

You strike me as a camp survivor 🤣

10 pages, WTF?
this is how we do it now 90s pop GIF by NOW That's Music

10 pages, WTF?
You won't ever get a straight answer. If you would have asked this question around 2011, there would have been only a few viable choices but still more expensive than your listed price range.
Now, there are far too many modelers and profilers out there with their own workflows, feature sets, strengths and weaknesses.
For example, if SPDIF I/O is important to you that removes a few units. Now given you stipulated a price point of 5 to 7 bills, I would agree that the Helix Stomp is probably your first jumppoint if you are looking for an all in one amp and effects solution. I wouldn't buy used the first go around in case the unit has issues. I am big on using big box music chains 'no questions asked' return policies. Most of my local stores will take anything back within 30 days..

If you are just looking for amp and cab replacement for gigging that brings in quite a few other entries.
There are some threads on here that go on for hundreds of pages with valid content and no one ever really agrees.
Each time a new offering comes out, interests are piqued and people do care to hear how that unit sits in the field of the growing number of units.
amp and cab only (keeping your price point in mind), I'll throw in Tonex pedal, Kemper Player, UA ox stomp + Lion pedals, Bluguitar AMP1, Friedman IRX.
if you want to add effects, Helix Stomp, Pod Go, (Atomic might have a unit coming out in the next year), maybe a few select other cheapos. Keep in mind that you can always dump things later.

I was always looking for a software vst solution that could be loaded into a unit. That's just me. Home record, pickup and go with the same tones. That's when Tonex piqued my curiosity but it also isn't a multi effects solution without adjoining software purchases for home or effects when playing out. It's not perfect and none are.

I guess you need to figure out your requirement list and take it from there.
In all honesty there are more and more lunch box amps integrating recording capabilities with integrated loadboxes and impulse response loaders and I'm still waiting to see if EVH will finally do something to that effect. If they put out a fully functional 5153 with a Two tones stereo out in it for 800 bucks, I'd be very interested.

For example, if SPDIF I/O is important to you that removes a few units.
What is SPDIF I/O and what are it's pros and cons?
If you are just looking for amp and cab replacement for gigging that brings in quite a few other entries.
Yes. Gigging, rehearsing and practicing only. No recording.
I was always looking for a software vst solution that could be loaded into a unit. That's just me. Home record, pickup and go with the same tones.
No software to be loaded into the unit for me. Will not be using it for home recording.

Yes. Gigging, rehearsing and practicing only. No recording.

No software to be loaded into the unit for me. Will not be using it for home recording.
I would start by picking something mentioned above in your price range and downloading the manual. These devices are vastly capable and it will familarize you with many terms.

It is an optical digital interface from the digital amp to the computer used for recording.

Question......

Do you want to replace your amp AND your pedal board .... or just your amp?

The reason I ask is that there are quite a few options (some listed in other posts above) that are ONLY replacing the amp. ie, these devices do not have any (or very minimal) effects capabilities, they just make amp sounds.

What does your pedalboard have in it today?

The reason to get a digital amp that includes effects is so you don't have to carry anything else or hook up anything else at the gig. It also lets you have many different amps and effect chains available at a push of a button.

Back