Piano in rock and hard rock cover band

vino_buono

Roadie
Hey,

Not sure this is the right forum section for this?

Anyway, I play rhythm and lead guitar in a 5-piece rock cover band with keyboards. We play your typical rock and hard rock setlist, with a bit of Aerosmith, GnR, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, also something a bit more pop. Anyway, a few of the songs we play do not have keyboards in the original recording. In that case, our keyboard player usually plays a piano. I have come to dislike this more and more when the vibe of the song is not rock’n’rollish. E.g. I don’t like piano in Highway to hell, or Rain by the Cult, you get the idea. Plus, I find the piano sometimes gets in the way of the guitar riffs. I think maybe a Hammond or a synth would be more appropriate? Do you have any tips?

Yeah, it’s not often you can stick a piano in a rock tune and make it work well, especially with existing songs like your examples. Hahaha there’s a reason rock bands with keyboard players used B3’s/distorted B3’s and synths in rock bands and not pianos! The guy needs to know he’s un-rocking the band with piano sounds!

Can he not sit out some of those songs? Maybe balance that out with a song where the piano is the feature?

If the keys aren’t adding something cool, seems like they shouldn’t be forced. Another option would be to add more atmospheric/accent sort of sounds instead of playing through the whole song.

elton john piano GIF by Rocketman

Can he not sit out some of those songs? Maybe balance that out with a song where the piano is the feature?

He proposed that himself as I gently hinted that piano on Highway to hell is a no-no, but he had such a sad face that I dropped the argument…

Another option would be to add more atmospheric/accent sort of sounds instead of playing through the whole song.

That’s my idea too. He can add some background texture, atmosphere, … but the piano is very much in the foreground and adds its own vibe.

Our keyboard player would often use a string based synth sound similar to the opening keys in Rush's Subdivisions. For AC/DC tunes a lot of root/5th chords in the same range of the guitar. As long as it's mixed a bit lower than the guitar, it added thickness without sticking out like a sore thumb. A distorted B3 type sound often fits in well for hard rock as well. A keyboardist who understands that not every song will be a keys showcase is important. Just like I was always tried to be aware that on "keyboard" tunes my job was to support the keys without getting in the way.

Back