Riff Lords: Billy Howerdel

DrewJD82

Staff member
From what I’ve seen so far he’s just got his Marshall half stack and the Gibson amp with an AxeFX on top of them. Unless he goes through his gear at some point in this, it’s just him showing how to play APC tunes. Regardless, you get to hear Billy in isolation with some killer modded Superlead and Fractal tones.

From what I’ve seen so far he’s just got his Marshall half stack and the Gibson amp with an AxeFX on top of them. Unless he goes through his gear at some point in this, it’s just him showing how to play APC tunes. Regardless, you get to hear Billy in isolation with some killer modded Superlead and Fractal tones.

Some real tasty riffs on those APC albums!

Some real tasty riffs on those APC albums!

Those first two albums are probably in my Top 15 favorite albums of all time. The songwriting, the tones, the mood, I love every bit of them. And we can thank Axl Rose for it; Billy was working as GnR’s Pro Tools guy while he was doing Chinese Democracy, which is how he met Josh Freese. After GnR sessions Billy was getting Josh to track drums for the APC stuff and I think it’s those demos he played for Maynard that made him want to join. Might have my order messed up on that. Axl caught wind and apparently wasn’t too enthused, but that’s when they decided to make it into a legit band.

Those first two albums are probably in my Top 15 favorite albums of all time. The songwriting, the tones, the mood, I love every bit of them.
I saw them on their first tour and was just blown away. I actually prefer Maynard in APC over Tool. Much more melodic and catchier riffs IMO. Good stuff.

Back