OMG..Don’t Cry ..Slash joined the Magnatone’s.

It's wild how the year you were born pretty much dictated if you were gonna go ape over Kiss or not.

1960 and Kiss is a bit of a joke after Purple, Sabbath, and Zeppelin.
1965 and Kiss is an outright phenomenon as LLL noted.

(now he's going to reply he was born in 59 and fuck up my entire theory... :facepalm)

It's wild how the year you were born pretty much dictated if you were gonna go ape over Kiss or not.

(now he's going to reply he was born in 59 and fuck up my entire theory... :facepalm)

8qwijf.jpg

Maybe I didn't specify it in my previous paragraph, but while I recognized the huge phenomenon that was KISS in the 70's as a kid (you couldn't miss it), it took me decades before I actually gave their albums a real *good* thorough listen (at least their earliest stuff from the 70's) and learned to appreciate them... i.e. I was in my late 40's.

I was much more into Purple, Zeppelin, Scorpions, Sabbath, Aerosmith, and 80s groups like Dokken, RATT, Whitesnake, etc... in the 80's and on.

So in a way I was the same.

Obeid tells me Saul [slash] plays really fu*king LOUD and not a "high gain" kinda guy like 7 on the master.
The amps are market value from R & D to reality in 2024.
Not everyone's cup of tea but Magnatone has plenty of future orders.
Made in St. Louis MO USA.

Even the Magnatone guy knows what's up and is wearing a Marshall T-shirt.

So much irony here in this photo. :LOL:

In my neighborhood, every kid had at least one KISS album, one KISS Halloween costume (and Frampton Comes Alive! of course).

Every one of us was glued to the TV screen watching "KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park".

We also picked out the red Spree candies and spit blood... just like Gene did. :LOL:

KISS was a fucking phenomenon in the 70's.

That being said, I couldn't stand them in the 80's when I started taking up guitar playing because they were too simplistic guitar-wise. I did however recognize their supreme ability with the stage act and marketing, and always respected their contributions to RnR.

It wasn't until maybe 40 years later that I actually grabbed all their earlier albums and appreciated their music.
Their 80s stuff is a lot less simplistic. I'm not sure who played what is supposedly Paul's rhythm parts, but I don't buy some of it as being him.

Their 80s stuff is a lot less simplistic. I'm not sure who played what is supposedly Paul's rhythm parts, but I don't buy some of it as being him.

Steve Farris (Mr. Mister) played the solo on "Creatures Of The Night" song from same album instead of Ace.

Robben Ford had guitar parts too on that album:

Rick Derringer did the solo on "Exciter" from Lick It Up album instead of Vinnie Vincent:

Steve Farris (Mr. Mister) played the solo on "Creatures Of The Night" song from same album instead of Ace.

Robben Ford had guitar parts too on that album:

Rick Derringer did the solo on "Exciter" from Lick It Up album instead of Vinnie Vincent:

I'm aware. I'm saying I doubt that Paul was there as much as he claims, usually when putting Gene down for being less than bored with some of the shit they did. Gene basically was Paul's repeater in interviews and would bend over backwards to try and please Paul's massive ego.

Gene's ego is bigger than Amsterdam, but it isn't Paul sized.

i liked this one song when i was about 5, and i watched it for the first time since then now in my 40s not long ago and said "this is fucking terrible"

Barf. Crazy Nights is probably the worst KISS album, bar none. Paul learned fuck all from the failure of Dynasty/Unmasked. This was basically the same thing 7-8 years later. Did you think he learned after this? Lol, nah! The next album seemingly would have been produced by Vini Poncia (who produced Dynasty and Unmasked), but likely didn't because Gene and Paul wanted to save money.

This is just conjecture on my part (Vini Poncia producing Hot in the Shade, not the part of them wanting to save money; sprucing up demos pretty much proves that), but based on the fact that 5 out of 15 songs on HITS were co-written by Vini Poncia, just like Dynasty and Unmasked, leads me to believe he would've produced it if money wasn't their main concern. For instance, KISS about cancelled a decent portion of their Crazy Nights tour due to shit sales and let go of their keyboard player.

Kiss's producers sure had great tastes!
Michael James Jackson, though Derringer apparently also did something on Alive II side 4, which was Eddie Kramer.

Eddie Van Halen told Paul or Gene (I think it was Paul) that they should just get Farris to join, but he didn't look the part. Part of me wishes that, while I love Bruce Kulick's playing and think Eric Carr is an amazing drummer, that KISS ended up as half KISS, half Angel (Punky Meadows and Barry Brandt).

Last edited:
Back