Reamp Box Tonal Fidelity Experiment

Slammin Mofo

Groupie
In order to see how accurate my usual reamp box (Walrus Audio Canvas Reamp) is compared to its competition, I measured its performance vial null test. While at it, I also tested a couple of other reamp devices that I had access to as well. The test consists of 3 DI tracks merged into one 2:05 minute long DI track with a high output bridge pickup, tele neck pickup and a jazz bass neck+bridge pickup section. The results so far are the following (from best to worst):

1. Lehle P-Split III: -36.5 dBFS

2.. Walrus Audio Canvas Reamp: -34.4 dBFS

3. AMT REINCARNATOR RD-2: -33.4 dBFS

4. AXE I/O REAMP OUT PURE: -33.0 dBFS

5. AXE I/O REAMP OUT BOOSTED WITH EMPRESS BUFFER +: -31.1 dBFS

Here's the folder that contains all the files including the main DI test signal. The P-Split, Reincarnator and Canvas were all tested with an Apollo X8 line outpu and Hi-Z input, the Axe I/O was tested with its reamp out and its own Hi-Z 2 input. The results folder also show the frequency responses of the null tests that:

If you want to participate in this little experiment as well, so that you can see how your reamp box stacks up against other units, you have to do the following:

• Open up a 48kHz/24bit 120.00 BPM project inside your DAW and insert the "MAIN_DI_TEST_SIGNAL" wav file into the project.
  • Route this signal via line out into your reamp box input and keep the level attenuation off or any level boosts off (signal art boost the level past unit for example)
  • Route the reamp box output into a Hi-Z input
  • Put the DI signal through the reamp box and record the output signal in a mono track in your DAW
  • Since DAWs can add their own little quirks after each import/export, export both the DI signal and output signal as mono 48kHz/24bit 120.00BPM tracks and post them here. I'll load these files into my project and do the null test for you, even though it might be more precise if everything's done on the machine that recorded the output track.

If you want to do the Null Test yourself in order to generate the comparative dBFS number:

• Maximally zoom into the tracks and align them exactly, if possible down to a sample, and level match the output track afterwards to the DI signal
  • Add +8.00 dB of clean boost to both tracks after the alignment and initial level matching is done
  • Route both signals into your master/main bus, add another +20.00 dB of clean boost on the master bus and use a EQ and metering (integrated loudness in dBFS) plugin after the +20.00 dB boost
  • Flip the phase on the DI signal and run both tracks for the whole ca. 2 minutes and note the number dBFS integrated loudness number you get from the metering plugin afterwards

There's also a "read me" text file included that outlines the process as well.

It would be intersting to see how reamp boxes like the Radial JCR or ProRMP, Signal Art Reamp or Little Labs RedEye 3d fare in this test. Of course, a test with real amp recordings would be even better, but not everybody has the same amp with the same parts tolerances.

Let me know if you want to participate in this little test and if there are any uncertainties regarding the whole procedure. You can also chime in and let me know if this test is futile or not good enough etc., any critique is welcome!

Last edited:
Nicely done!

If other people were to do this test, how would you account for:

- the differences in D/A (which vary a lot, both in level and fidelity)
- the influence of the DI (both of itself, and also if it interacts with a reamp box, which can happen with nothing in between especially when transformers are involved).
- The influence of A/D

Back