Reactive Load Box?

la szum

Goatlord
Recommendations for a load boox to use with tube amps for silent recording? Ox Box probably out of
my price range. Looking at Radial Headbone, Fractal X-Load, Suhr, and Two Notes right now.

Anyone using one consistently? Thoughts? Opinions? :idk

I had the Suhr RLIR and used it with my Bella. I didn't need the IR part, because I was using an FM3 for that at the time.

It was pretty good and I would definitely recommend it. I realised in the end that the tones I got from the FM3 models sounded pretty much the same as the ones from the loaded down tube amp, so sold the reactive load box 🙂

I'm always been curious about the X-Load, though. Handy to have the US / UK load variation.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :beer

The Fractal is on sale right now and I am tempted. Some of the others have more features (like attenuation)
that I think may be handy, too, in the long run.

Thanks guys! :beer

The Fractal is on sale right now and I am tempted. Some of the others have more features (like attenuation)
that I think may be handy, too, in the long run.
Attenuation can be useful even if it changes the tone. I have better luck with a continuous sweep. I use attenuation to drive the power amp very hard at decent volume. I really need to have control for this to work best.

Last edited:
I had the Suhr RLIR with my Bella. I didn't need the IR part, because I was using an FM3 for that at the time.

It was pretty good and I would definitely recommend it. I realised in the end that the tones I got from the FM3 models sounded pretty much the same as the ones from the loaded down tube amp, so sold the reactive load box 🙂

I'm always been curious about the X-Load, though. Handy to have the US / UK load variation.

I don't need it, JD. But you know how the want thing goes, and how we can talk ourselves into how necessary it could end up being. :LOL:

I am perfectly content with the FM3. I just would like to use tube amps, and want something simpler and more accessible than
micing up a cab or using my ISO box. Nice to know the FM3 delivers that well. :banana

I have the Suhr IR and I really like it. A mate has a Two Notes Reload, and I'm not sure I like it as much. It's okay, but seems a bit scooped sounding in comparison to the Suhr.

I use a Two-Note Torpedo. It takes careful attention to gain staging to get the most out of it. But, once you know, it works great. It's also one of the few load boxes that can be used with solid state amps.

i have had the ox, boss TAE, THD hot plate, the old faustine phantom, and the suhr. hands down, the most realistic sounding one was the suhr. match it up with a good IR, and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

in fact, here is a very, very shitty recording of my old ecstasy 100A loaded down with the suhr RL and then IRs from ownhammer of a bogner 412 with V30s and miked up with a 57 and royer 121. the playing is shit, but the tones are killer. and this is no effects from the DAW--only some delay from a TC electronic D two i put in the loop of the bogner.

Driftwood, Suhr, React IR, Fractal, Fryette would be my suggestions.

Probably in that sort of order too. Captor is OK but they make amps sound flat compared to the others.

I use the Suhr RLIR, just don’t use the built ins, run it through my DAW instead for the IRS I want.

Excellent unit and goes up to 150w per the manual; was important as my main amp is 180w lol

Been using it for about 2 1/2 years now, no complaints.

How did you connect yours to the FM3 when you had it? I am assuming just a Cab Block (and an In/Out)?? :idk

How did you connect yours to the FM3 when you had it? I am assuming just a Cab Block (and an In/Out)?? :idk

This was a few months ago, so not 100% sure; but I _think_ I would have used the line-in probably on Input 2, rather than use the "Secret Sauce IV" on the instrument Input 1. But everything else was my usual setup of post amp effects sans the amp block with the same IRs I'd usually use for my similarly voiced FM3 amps.

Nothing special or non-obvious involved. Easy.

Captor X! Love the unit I have and it works great live as well for running direct. Size is right and it is stereo out as well as having the nice space control for some better headphone play through. The twin tracker is fun as well.

Back