Rabea Massaad drops Chapman Guitars

Ehhh, I don't know. I either like a YT personality or I don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I base my viewing habits accordingly.

People are welcome to make a living at it if the audience is there for it. I avoid long winded YTr's, knowledgeable or not.
Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

Same. For me, if i like their personality, and they put out content I enjoy (not hour long videos - I like ‘em short and to the point), and seem to be reasonably intelligent about what they are discussing, then I’ll go back and watch more and potentially subscribe.

There have been a few popular YouTubers recommended on guitar forums, and their personality/style just turned me off, so i don’t watch, even if they have smart stuff to say.

(E.g., who’s that one Helix guy that looks like a wrestler, has his girlfriend show up from time to time, and records 90-minute long “live streams” or whatever. Nope, nope, nope. Can’t do it.)

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

Same. For me, if i like their personality, and they put out content I enjoy (not hour long videos - I like ‘em short and to the point), and seem to be reasonably intelligent about what they are discussing, then I’ll go back and watch more and potentially subscribe.

There have been a few popular YouTubers recommended on guitar forums, and their personality/style just turned me off, so i don’t watch, even if they have smart stuff to say.

(E.g., who’s that one Helix guy that looks like a wrestler, has his girlfriend show up from time to time, and records 90-minute long “live streams” or whatever. Nope, nope, nope. Can’t do it.)
I met him at a guitar center once. We talked shit about the Quad Cortex. Fun times!

He doesn't seem to understand the trade off. Being an internet musician in this day and age necessarily means creating enough content to keep people coming back. This has the knock on effect of lowering the quality, and ending up with throwaway content that does not stand the test of time. There is a reason that rock and metal is steeped in tradition and history - it stands the test of time, is multi generational, and is valued for its soul, heart, energy, and passion.
Notice how he dodged my question about where these hordes of "ultra conservative rockers" who have some power to hold back progress for all are

I mean yeah, there are piles of them, they're the tonewood trooo beliebers over at TGP, but the world happily moves on ignoring them.

I'll give you another example .... I was researching an audio interface earlier on. Several things got my goat. One guy made an hour long "deep dive" for an audio interface I was interested in.

In an hour, he didn't once talk about latency statistics, or measure anything. He just talked about how you could plug a guitar into it. It's like... WE KNOW THAT m*****f****r!! THERE'S A f*****g GUITAR LOGO ABOVE THE INPUT!!!

Another guy.... was criticizing the Focusrite Scarlett interface meters. They are mini meters, which give you an LED for -42, -18, -6, and -3dB and 0dB measurements. He was saying they're not accurate and he wouldn't use them for metering.

..... what... like audio engineers have been doing FOR 50+ YEARS!?!?!

My problem with a lot of these guys is they position themselves as experts in order to generate a fanbase, they put out erroneous or just ill thought out content, and then farm the internet for clicks, pouring as much money into their advertising and marketing as possible.

And they get basic s**t wrong.

I see this a lot these days on guitar forums. There's a lack of acknowledgement of things that came before whatever the topic at hand is that clearly demonstrates why something is the way it is. The biggest one I can cite is the Fractal UI; coming from 90's/00's guitar and studio gear, it makes total sense that it looks like that because that was the norm. TC Electronics used to tout the UI of the G-Force as an improvement of what came before it mainly because of the grid layout, which is what we have in Fractal units now. That WAS a big improvement with guitar effects where series/parallel means something. Ever see the UI in any 90's Eventide/Lexicon/TC Electronics/Digitech stuff?

We went right from that gear to Fractal, *it makes perfect sense to me why the UI looks like that. There was a gap in gear-focused rack gear for quite a while then Fractal came along with a UI that basically took off where the G-Force/studio gear left off at. It's continued in that direction while opening the door for modeling to be taken seriously and then Line 6 came along and did it in a consumer-friendly way.

There are plenty of things that have been brought up on forums in the form of a complaint that I don't think would be a complaint if the lineage of how things came to be were understood more. Alas, technology moves faster every day and so much of it is focused on tidying things up and making for a consumer-friendly experience. Look at TV/Audio remotes; there used to be these HUGE ass remotes with every function having a corresponding button, now my TV remote has 1000x many more features and about 8 buttons on the remote. Same thing with my 5/1 system. To people who have no experience with what came before it, it makes sense that they could find gripes with things as they stand now without knowing why it came to be that way. The benefit of that is that we'll probably see more advances as a result of that thinking, the whole fresh eyes aspect of things.

*That's not justifying Fractal's UI in 2023, so all the UI guys can settle down. :rofl I'm just saying I can understand how it turned out this way and I agree there are plenty improvements that can be made in the future. Please don't cite them all......again. :ROFLMAO:

[…] We went right from that gear to Fractal, […] It's continued in that direction while opening the door for modeling to be taken seriously and then Line 6 came along and did it in a consumer-friendly way. […]
Huh? Talking about „a lack of acknowledgement of things that came before“… I remember having had a POD bean quite a few years before the first Axe-FX existed. And as far as I can remember, the bean (and the POD Pro rack unit) was taken quite seriously. It was a sensation and, in retrospect, a major turning point for the musical instrument industry. Many guitarists used it to actually record albums, but back then it wasn‘t fully acceptable to openly admit it. Not because it was regarded as bad - more because it had this underlying implication of fake or cheating, like a drummer using triggers. That‘s what changed with the Axe-FX. The usage of modeling became more and more acceptable.

Last edited:
I recently double checked a bunch of videos that had massive views comparing the Xvive style wireless units like the Line6 G10, they joyos, all the rechargeable dongle type wireless units

NONE of them

Not a single one

Nada

Mentioned that none of the wireless units they showed and gave giant green lights to could handle the output of a regular EMG 81/85 whatever regular output EMG or Blackout active pickup

When I mentioned this in their comments they went into full Apologetics mode.

The post above talking about interfaces is why I provide noise, distortion, frequency response, bandwidth, available mic pre gain and Round Trip Latency specs when I do these reviews...so many of them are just fluff pieces

Huh? Talking about „a lack of acknowledgement of things that came before“… I remember having had a POD bean quite a few years before the first Axe-FX existed. And as far as I can remember, the bean (and the POD Pro rack unit) was taken quite seriously. It was a sensation and, in retrospect, a major turning point for the musical instrument industry. Many guitarists used it to actually record albums, but back then it wasn‘t fully acceptable to openly admit it. Not because it was regarded as bad - more because it had this underlying implication of fake or cheating, like a drummer using triggers. That‘s what changed with the Axe-FX. The usage of modeling became more and more acceptable.

I had the total opposite reaction to the bean and the PODPro. I don't know a single person that kept one if they even bought it. I know the hindsight on it, especially with some people making videos running through them IR's have painted a bit of a different story, but I unless someone was using one for a practice amp, I don't know a single person who actually bought one and used it in a rig. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It was like a joke. Then I started seeing the PODPro in some bass rigs, outside of that I know of two guys who bought the Flextone heads because it had all the effects built in and those dudes....well, they weren't exactly big on guitar tone, or even playing for that matter. :rofl

I had the total opposite reaction to the bean and the PODPro. I don't know a single person that kept one if they even bought it. I know the hindsight on it, especially with some people making videos running through them IR's have painted a bit of a different story, but I unless someone was using one for a practice amp, I don't know a single person who actually bought one and used it in a rig.

Dude. The original POD line, faults and all, was featured in thousands of albums and live rigs.

It was quite a revolutionary product when it launched.

Dude. The original POD line, faults and all, was featured in thousands of albums and live rigs.

It was quite a revolutionary product when it launched.

Which we know now, but back when it came out I don't know of anyone who admitted to using them or knew of anyone personally. That was my experience with the thing. I'm not sure how I can phrase that any differently. *I*, singular, as in just my perspective. It wasn't until years later where people started talking about using them and it was almost always a "shocker" to find out some big name artist used a POD bean on an album.

I started guitar quite late in life. Didn't start learning until I was 19. From what I saw, most of my peers started at a much younger age. I was making drum and bass, techno, glitch, IDM, and ambient music from the age of 12 till about 20. Then I discovered weed and Hendrix and it was like... okay.

But yeah my first bits of music gear were Line 6 related. I had the Pod 2.0, then the PodXT Live. I even used Podfarm shit tons back then.

We had some original pod beans (I swear they were green) before they were sold to the general public from one of Rob Halford's endorsers who had given them to his then current guitarists who promptly spent what would have been setup time recording piles of songs. I don't know if they made it on a finished album, but goddamn what a boost for creativity! It was revolutionary compared to the speaker emulators we had at the time

This is a GREAT video about the "internet guitarist" conundrum

Holyshit! I am the only one that has not been able to watch more than few seconds of that video because of the irritating effect applied to the voice to cut the spaces and make it shorter? Am I getting old for modern-internet shit? Is that how millennials assimilate the information?
:barf

Last edited:
Holyshit! I am the only one that has not been able to watch more than few seconds of that video because of the irritating effect applied to the voice to cut the spaces and make it shorter? Am I getting old for modern-internet s**t? Is that how millennials assimilate the information?
:barf
I should not like his vids at all as he checks off a ton boxes in things that drive me nuts category. His love of metal, playing skill and sense of humor speak to despite all that. He's like a real life Terrence and Phillip episode if it "went metal" :rofl I enjoy his (ADHD) take on this particular topic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ehhh, I don't know. I either like a YT personality or I don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I base my viewing habits accordingly.

People are welcome to make a living at it if the audience is there for it. I avoid long winded YTr's, knowledgeable or not.

My Buddies and discussed that the other night. Like any good purveyor of information it is the
presentation that tends to matter more than the content.

And we also realized that we can't agree on what "good" presentation is. :idk

Last edited:
YouTube decided to let me know that Phil McKnight dwelled on the subject of artists leaving Chapman Guitars.

TL;DR: he (obviously) doesn't know "why", but points out that the incentive is pretty much always economic, and has to do with contracts and royalties advance payments and/or poor sales.

Yeah I mean it’s fairly obvious financial incentives would be the primary reason. He can’t come out an say “I’m going to make 3x as much money with Fender!” as it runs counter to the artistic spirit. (Or the illusion thereof)

Back