Rabea Massaad drops Chapman Guitars

Action is just setup, many of the WMI stuff has excellent double action truss rods. What else was wrong with it? Its not like making stone age 1950's guitars is some major secret or anything.

I can't recall exactly, but I think there was a combination of bad fret/nut work, uncomfortable neck shape (too thin?), and old dead strings.

So far the world indonesia stuff has seemed ok, the part I don't like is that they charge MORE than they did for stuff made at world korea

Which PRS ones had those craptastic bridges where you can't individually intonate them? Its like a metal version of an acoustic guitar bridge, are those the chinese ones?

Which PRS ones had those craptastic bridges where you can't individually intonate them? Its like a metal version of an acoustic guitar bridge, are those the chinese ones?

The PRS Stoptail?

prs_stoptail-non-adjustable.jpg

My Paul's Guitar has one of this and, while you cannot tweak strings individually, it does a surprisingly good job of keeping intonation spot on across the fretboard.

Then again, SE Paul's Guitar are unique in the sense they use the same expensive bridge as their US-built counterparts. No idea if this is the case for other import models.

I have an artist top gazillion dollar c22 with that bridge.

That's the one! I could see putting something like this on a throwaway guitar, but not like a 200 dollar plus guitar

It's used on a good bunch of super expensive US-made PRS McCarty core models. There's a version of that bridge with individually adjustable saddles, but IIRC that's intended for non-standard string gauges.

Have you tried it? It's a good bridge, i swear :giggle: Never had any intonation issues with mine.

I have one here, I thought it was their bottom dollar one to come with that thing. Its fine for 10-52, but if you do a drop tuning and need a thicker bottom string to keep the tension sensible, it is horrifically sharp for that one string. I can't imagine anyone in good faith would chose to put that on a guitar costing over 80 dollars.

Then again, there's a video of Paul Reed Smith trying to prove "tonewood" with a wooden xylophone, so its not like he's trying out for MENSA or something

The fixed stoptail is challenging, once you veer off the beaten path. But I've had it in both E standard and D standard, and it was totally fine. That said, I do prefer the adjustable.

When I bought my Mira used it came with the stock fixed aluminum tailpiece and an adjustable one as well. I tried both and they sounded pretty similar. I like simplicity so I stuck with the fixed one.

I like to think of venn diagrams when dealing with equipment. The circle of the fixed tailpiece's abilities and features is ENTIRELY within the circle of the 20 dollar and up guitars' adjustable bridges. The inverse is not at all true.

Its like the brakeless guys at the skatepark who say stuff like "I can do nosepicks brakeless" to which of course I say, "so can I , I would just not grab the brakes" while the inverse is wildly different

Back