PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin pickup swap?

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I've had this S2 since about 2016 and have been in love with it. It wasn't until I got my Prestige AZ2402 that I realized how dull/muddy the HFS pickups in the S2 are (like everyone has been telling me).

Im ready for a pickup change and don't know where to start. Should I try something tried and true like a JB/Jazz?

Less mud = stay away from a JB in the Bridge. Especially as you ratchet up the gain.

Jazz or a '59 in the Neck is a great choice. '59 would be less warm and more articulate.

Ive been looking long time for a bridge pickup for my Revstar

Narrowed it down to
DiMarzio PAF pro, or the Crunchlab, leaning more towards the PAF pro

:idk

I've got a DiMarzio D-Activator X set on my S2 Standard 22 and I find them very versatile for cleans to chugging, including everything in between. I opted for a parallel switch over split, as well as a tone circuit bypass, and it gives me more tonal options.

ah yes, i was oogling your posts on the PRS forum. This gave me the black covers GAS

My S2 Custom 24 also had the HFS/VB S combo. I went with a 59 Neck and SH-5 Custom for the bridge. Haven’t looked back. Great pickup combo. Definitely some nice PAF like clarity in the SH-5. I have mine uncovered but I may toss some raw nickel covers on one of these days.

Ive been looking long time for a bridge pickup for my Revstar

Narrowed it down to
DiMarzio PAF pro, or the Crunchlab, leaning more towards the PAF pro

:idk
I have recently installed a Paf Pro in a music Man axis sport which tonally seemed to be quite dark. It now sounds really good

The boot camp series from BK is very good I would strongly recommend any of them. Available in standard and F with or without covers and also zebra. Short legs and four conductors so all bases covered. There are obviously a lot of good options for pickups and most are better than the standard ones 🤣

DiMarzio D-Activator (you can get them covered). Thank me later.
I've got a DiMarzio D-Activator X set on my S2 Standard 22 and I find them very versatile for cleans to chugging, including everything in between. I opted for a parallel switch over split, as well as a tone circuit bypass, and it gives me more tonal options.

59 Neck and SH-5 Custom for the bridge
Custom 5 in the bridge, '59 in the neck.
So is it the consensus that D-Activators are a more modern sound with higher output and the SH-5/59 are less output and less modern? I don't really like a very high output but I don't like the idea of a "scooped" bridge humbucker like I've read about the SH-5

How would they all sound split?

It really feels like throwing darts blindfolded! I'm almost leaning toward the SD's because the covers look cooler :bag

The SH-5 is still fairly high output. Like 14K. You could go with the Alnico II Custom Custom which has a bit more midrange. I’ve heard the Custom 5 (which uses an Alnico V) is more scooped. They’re all the same coils. Just different magnets.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of SD pickups. All the ones I've tried so far have had sonic quirks that annoyed me. Some too boomy, others harsh and ice-picky, none of them sounded really balanced.
The output of the D-Activators is comparable to that of a JB, but they simply sound sooo much more balanced and pleasant.

Back