PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin pickup swap?

Bk true grit boot camp . Seriously overlooked and better than most . Higher gain with clarity that no other company seems to be able to do and hand wound which helps dynamics.

Last edited:
So is it the consensus that D-Activators are a more modern sound with higher output and the SH-5/59 are less output and less modern? I don't really like a very high output but I don't like the idea of a "scooped" bridge humbucker like I've read about the SH-5

How would they all sound split?

It really feels like throwing darts blindfolded! I'm almost leaning toward the SD's because the covers look cooler :bag

You are right. Choosing the right pickups are like throwing darts blindfolded. Tone may vary from guitar to guitar, amp to amp, effects to effects, etc. You will not know until you have installed it on your guitar and play it through your own rig.

I'm not sure if you know, but a D-Activator and D-Activator X sets are different. I have the X set, which is the one with rails. I am not good at describing tone, but mine sounds like active pickups without the so called "sterility." It is high output, but reacts nicely with my tone circuit, when engaged. I usually bypass it when using them for dirty sounds, and engage them when I am using clean sounds. I also like the sounds on parallel mode. I skipped the splits as I find them not sounding like single coils anyway. My friend advised that the parallel humbucker tones sounds cooler.

Anyways, good luck on your search!

However, if you want to save, we can take Glen's advice:

Last edited:
Listening to the diverse music you play and right, AK, I would choose the more versatile option.

Not vintage. Not modern. Somewhere in the middle. Goldilocks style. :beer
That's exactly what I want! I love playing thrash riffs as much as I like playing Earth Wind & Fire so from reading the description of the True Grit that @Eagle suggested I searched and the set are out of stock across America! Lame

Bk true grit boot camp . Seriously overlooked and better than most . Higher gain with clarity that no other company seems to be able to do and hand wound which helps dynamics.
Depends on the guitar. I had an Ibanez RG Prestige with them and thought they were the best sounding pickups ever. I ordered another set and put it into my Fender Modern Strat… horrible, just horrible with that guitar.

The PRS S2 Standard Satin is a very resonant, warm and nice sounding guitar with its one piece mahogany body (I had the 22 version, highly regret that I sold it) I think a balanced sounding pickup set that emphasizes the natural sound of the guitar would suit it best.

Dimarzios website doesn't show what some of the covered options look like. Some covers have two rows of exposed screws and some have one row, but when you select the option on mst models the image isn't available. I know it's all very superficial but I like the look of one row exposed.

Leaning towards SD: 59 Custom Hybrid bridge and 59 neck, both with nickel covers.

Dimarzios website doesn't show what some of the covered options look like. Some covers have two rows of exposed screws and some have one row, but when you select the option on mst models the image isn't available. I know it's all very superficial but I like the look of one row exposed.

Leaning towards SD: 59 Custom Hybrid bridge and 59 neck, both with nickel covers.
DiMarzio Norton DP160KK+N Black Metal Cover.
1704008009382.png

But yeah, I agree, for most cover options the photos just don‘t exist. That‘s pretty annoying.

The SD Custom 59 Hybrid looks interesting! If you decide to buy it, let us know how you like it!

Depends on the guitar. I had an Ibanez RG Prestige with them and thought they were the best sounding pickups ever. I ordered another set and put it into my Fender Modern Strat… horrible, just horrible with that guitar.

The PRS S2 Standard Satin is a very resonant, warm and nice sounding guitar with its one piece mahogany body (I had the 22 version, highly regret that I sold it) I think a balanced sounding pickup set that emphasizes the natural sound of the guitar would suit it best.
I would say that is true with any pickups.

The Fact is Pickups is really a shot in the dark
You can do some research on specifications, get some testimonies, some quality youtube samples
this will give you only a rough rudimentary idea
So you just pick whatever is closest to what you want and then hope for the best meaning you'll be happy
if not can rinse repeat for lord knows how many times or stick with what you have

:idk

I decided to take Glen Fricker's advice and just turn up the gain on my amp. Now everything is mushy and undefined no matter what guitar I play with. Now everything sounds even! Thanks Glen!

But seriously, thanks everyone for your input. I'm gonna hem and haw over it a while longer before deciding whether or not to take a $250 bath on some wire and magnets.

I decided to take Glen Fricker's advice and just turn up the gain on my amp. Now everything is mushy and undefined no matter what guitar I play with. Now everything sounds even! Thanks Glen!

But seriously, thanks everyone for your input. I'm gonna hem and haw over it a while longer before deciding whether or not to take a $250 bath on some wire and magnets.

I have a Chrome/Nickel covered set of '59s I would be willing to pull out of a guitar. Try them. If you don't
like them send them back. If you do we can work something out. :idk

I have a Chrome/Nickel covered set of '59s I would be willing to pull out of a guitar. Try them. If you don't
like them send them back. If you do we can work something out. :idk
Aww thanks Dave! It's not a money thing really. I just want to let the idea sit before making any impulsive decisions. I took some time today to play with the pickup/screw heights got them into a less muddy state. Still no snappy response of my AZ but I just might be chasing my tail thinking about it that way.

I appreciate the offer.

Let me know if you reconsider. It's no biggie. Peeps have been swell to me here for no reason at all,
so I feel like I owe the community a few nods. :beer

Just thought it would give you a chance to try them out. Pickup Roulette is not always a fun game to play. :LOL:

Every Guitar that I purchased with Seymour's I ended swapping or plan to swap out
Dont seem im a SD guy

:idk
Yeah, kinda the same here. Not sure what it is? But I do like the '59 HB in the bridge and the parallel axis single is cool.
I just prefer the way Dimarzio voices their pickups I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back