NP(ickups)D: DiMarzio PAF Master Set

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
20240419_183505.jpg

I've been hemming and hawing over getting new pickups for my PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin for a couple of years now and finally did it, ordered some Satin Chrome covered PAF Masters from DiMarzio. They took almost 2 weeks to get here and sat for two days before I put them in last night. Then I realized I got the wires a little mixed up (like an idiot I followed the PRS color scheme) and fixed them this morning to take advantage of coil splitting.

20240419_191721.jpg

20240419_200221.jpg

20240419_210306.jpg

These sound fantastic! They address the issues I had with the stock S2 pickups - bass/low mid mud and lack of clarity in the high midrange. There is a smidge less output too which I don't mind. I did the pedantic thing and recorded clips before the swap, kept the same strings and recorded clips after the swap. I didn't even finish all of the recordings before my ears came to happy conclusions -- and they look great too!

The only thing that was a little wonky was how the wire came out of the neck pickup on the opposite side I was expecting, I had to coax the lead around the pickup to get it to fit well within the cavity. I didn't get a picture of that but here is a picture of the stock pickups inside the pickguard. Notice how the gray lead comes from the neck pickup on the same side that the black lead comes from the bridge pickup? The DM lead in the neck pickup comes from the far side and has to travel across the pickup, making the fit into the cavity a little wonky but it all worked out.

20240419_193741.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking guitar (I'm one of the few folks to actually not like all the wood pr0n).
Thank you! It's got an SG had a baby with a Strat vibe I really like. Looks weren't even a consideration when I got this guitar. It was 100% based on neck feel. I've never picked up another model PRS and had the same rection.

Also, you're using Graphtechs - way to go!
Kind of necessary, at least the swap to something other than the OGs. The original saddles were a very poor quality metal - you could see the inconsistency. I was breaking brand new NYXLs right at the saddles.

Reactions: PLX
Awesome Alex, I wanted Dimarzio as well, unfortunately here In Quebec it was a 6-8 week wait
Those PRS pickups are G&B and those were what were in my Revstar cant say i really liked them, they were not terrible just not what I liked

Hell yeah!

All those characteristics are exactly why I love that pickup! Never tried the Masters, though.

Those PRS pickups are G&B and those were what were in my Revstar cant say i really liked them, they were not terrible just not what I liked
Yep. I really did like both pickups split. Was a nice sound. These pickups don't quite cop it but what it lacks there it makes up for in other places. I need to dial in my Helix presets. I haven't run this guitar through my Helix Floor in about a year. I need more hours in my day to sit and play!

Back