PRS CU24 Pickup Changing Time - Help?

Warmart

Roadie
Yeah, we have a PRS pickups thread, but mine's intended to be a bit more focused.

My CU24 plays great, sounds fantastic acoustically, yadda yadda. The 85/15's have virtually 0 bass, and just sound odd/weak/shrill to me. Funny thing is, when I started playing guitar again, in 2019, I loved them - but as I got more guitars they were exposed! :hmm :brick

I generally play 80's hard rock/metal and some newer stuff like Mastodon. Already decided to go DiMarzio. My gut says Super Distortion and PAF Pro. Other options are D Activator-X, Sonic Ecstasy or Pandemonium. I know it's a tossup, just wanted y'all's thoughts.

Never had a Super D, and that alone may be the primary driver - but sooooo many people say it works great in everything, so there's that.

I may also replace the 5-way with a much easier to wire 3-way. Don't care about splits in this guitar.

Super distortion is way better than it gets credit for but these days I prefer paf output because you can always add gain easily these days. Paf pro is quite a low output and very good too so I think you are good to go with those.

Super distortion is way better than it gets credit for but these days I prefer paf output because you can always add gain easily these days. Paf pro is quite a low output and very good too so I think you are good to go with those.
My fear, with this particular guitar is that it may really need a kick in the pants. Could just be the 85/15's, but I really don't want to swap twice.

My gut says Super Distortion and PAF Pro

richard reid winner GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

I will be going for the PAF Pro for my Revstar was going to go with the Super Distortion for my Ex DK24 but thats gone , was thinking maybe put the SD in my Ibanez but so far I'm really digging the Stock Hyperion's
Next guitar will get a SD in the Bridge for sure gotta have the classic Super Distortion in one guitar

:chef

The SD is a great choice, especially since you're trying to eliminate shrillness and weakness. PAF Pro is a great choice too, either position. No arguments from me other than the PP will give you a throaty mid punch in the neck, so if you're looking for a bit more high mid softness it may not be a top choice. I've used it in certain bright guitars and preferred something else, namely an EJ neck or Humbucker from Hell. Those have softer mids but still retain top end clarity. Just buy them all.:grin

edit: and adjusting poles pieces can make a big difference.

The SD is a great choice, especially since you're trying to eliminate shrillness and weakness. PAF Pro is a great choice too, either position. No arguments from me other than the PP will give you a throaty mid punch in the neck, so if you're looking for a bit more high mid softness it may not be a top choice. I've used it in certain bright guitars and preferred something else, namely an EJ neck or Humbucker from Hell. Those have softer mids but still retain top end clarity. Just buy them all.:grin

edit: and adjusting poles pieces can make a big difference.
Don't use the neck a ton, but that DiMarzio EJ neck does appear to give a heavy boost to the highs. Definitely an option, thank you!

Just got an offer on Reverb for a new SD for $80. Yayy!!

There's an off-chance that it could be the guitar, too, Dave. :idkSome guitars just fight themselves
resonantly, or have no ass, are all top-end with Chicken legs and no foundation.

This is one of the reasons I don't fuss too much with PU swaps after doing it far too many times, and
80-90% of the time realizing what I was trying to fix was in the guitar, and not in magnets and copper wire.

Going to go get FA another roll of Toilet Paper now. :beer

hand prank GIF

There's an off-chance that it could be the guitar, too, Dave. :idkSome guitars just fight themselves
resonantly
The SD laughs at resonant peaks or dips. :grin

Seriously though, pickup swaps are never a guarantee, but I've gotten to the point where I trust myself and my judgement. If I can spread a bit of that insight it makes me feel good to share. But yeah there are 1000's of pickups that'll 'work'.

Yeah, we have a PRS pickups thread, but mine's intended to be a bit more focused.

My CU24 plays great, sounds fantastic acoustically, yadda yadda. The 85/15's have virtually 0 bass, and just sound odd/weak/shrill to me. Funny thing is, when I started playing guitar again, in 2019, I loved them - but as I got more guitars they were exposed! :hmm :brick

I generally play 80's hard rock/metal and some newer stuff like Mastodon. Already decided to go DiMarzio. My gut says Super Distortion and PAF Pro. Other options are D Activator-X, Sonic Ecstasy or Pandemonium. I know it's a tossup, just wanted y'all's thoughts.

Never had a Super D, and that alone may be the primary driver - but sooooo many people say it works great in everything, so there's that.

I may also replace the 5-way with a much easier to wire 3-way. Don't care about splits in this guitar.

That doesn't sound right. I have two guitars with 85/15s in them, and though they are bright pickups they're definitely not shrill, and not lacking in bottom end.

Gah. I was originally planning on the Mojotone Hellbenders, lol, but never heard a good demo of them. I have Mojotone Tomahawks in the DW CE24, and they are great (just not for some reason in D).