Pinch Harmonics/Squeals/Artificial Harmonics...

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
...., whatever you call 'em, what's some of your favorite ones in music? I'll take an obvious one, the first note in the Comfortably Numb solo! :chef
Utter perfection.

Whatchya got?

This is what started it all for me with pinch harmonics-

I couldn’t have been playing longer than a year, the vid came on MTV and particularly during the chorus I just thought the guitars sounded fucking wild. That was the only way I could describe it, I didn’t know what pinch harmonics were, I didn’t even have distortion on my shitty beginner amp then. It just sounds like a wall of guitars trying to fight their way out of the bounds of the song. I don’t think it was until 3 years later I even knew Zakk Wylde’s name.

I know I was listening to a lot of Van Halen’s Live: Right Here, Right Now and “316” was always a big favorite- (3:58)

I think I had my uncle show me how he was doing that and I’ve been ripping it off ever since, I just haven’t written it into a song yet. When I eventually start posting live footage, it comes out mostly then. Hahahah Ed looks rather elegant doing it, I just slap the shit out of the fingerboard :rofl

Around that same time I realized how pinch harmonics were made by cupping the whammy bar and ring finger knuckle hitting the strings when I picked them. That was the only way I did pinch harmonics for the next decade and it’s still how I hit half of them. I can nail one 99% of the time hitting them that way, opposed to 90% of the time with my thumb.

Then I saw this in 9th grade, I already knew the song from my uncle teaching me but hearing Zakk’s take on it, that was it, I was a pinch harmonic fein after that-

And as if I needed any more reason/influence, this came along very shortly after-

They seem to wane in popularity, or people are just burnt out because Zakk’s overdone it, but IDGAF. I fucking love pinch harmonics. I was stoked when Killswitch started shamelessly throwing them in their music, because what fucking fun is playing metal riffs if you can’t throw a shitload of pinch harmonics into it?!?!

And another Rush solo, Jacob's Ladder, which has Alex punctuating a phrase with one!

Come to think of it, AL may use them as much as ZW..., just not all at once! :rofl:rofl

comedy central poop GIF by Workaholics

Before Zakk came on the scene and John Sykes did the Whitesnake album Vivian Campbell
was killing it with Dio. He was the first guy I heard put a pinch harmonic in an actual riff and
not as part of a solo. I am sure there were others before him. He's just the first guy I heard do
it on the A or E strings in the main riff to Rainbow In The Dark.

This song has a KILLER pinch/whammy (I think?) combo in the breakdown \m/

They’re hitting the pinch harmonic at the same time they’re sliding up to whatever note they’re getting the vibrato on, then sliding back down. That’s some Dimebag shit! :chef Almost like a pinch harmonic ghost note.

They’re hitting the pinch harmonic at the same time they’re sliding up to whatever note they’re getting the vibrato on, then sliding back down. That’s some Dimebag shit! :chef Almost like a pinch harmonic ghost note.
I love it however they're doing it. That song is catchy af and one of the most to the point tunes ever.

Our bass player used to do that using a fretless, back when we played Hey You. One of the coolest things ever!

This isn't exactly pinch harmonics, but it's harmonics. Just executed differently.
Fun fact: Eddie used to turn his back to the audience in his early days of playing this.

Back