Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller

Simultaneous switching appears to work insofar as I’m seeing two effects assigned to two switches toggle on and off, though I can’t be sure these aren’t sending as two separate events occurring very close to simultaneously. A proper test would be a momentary press/ hold/ release across two switches, but I haven’t programmed anything like that yet.
Either way it's better than what you get when you press two switches on the MIDI Commander

giphy.webp

CC Toggle question. Can I have a command toggle between two specific values or is it limited to x or 0? (x being the specific value)

By the looks of the manual it seems it can only toggle between the value and 0 but I wanted to ask just to make sure.

Hold function would be a cool update.

Thinking about getting the Standard version in black without the wireless features but am also thinking about how cool it would be to simply have a midi controller in front of me and the rest of the host gear attached to the amp.

CC Toggle question. Can I have a command toggle between two specific values or is it limited to x or 0? (x being the specific value)

By the looks of the manual it seems it can only toggle between the value and 0 but I wanted to ask just to make sure.

Hold function would be a cool update.

Thinking about getting the Standard version in black without the wireless features but am also thinking about how cool it would be to simply have a midi controller in front of me and the rest of the host gear attached to the amp.
I'm not sure about the toggle thing. I don't know off-hand of any way to store state information a per-switch basis. That said, I feel like I've only scratched the surface with this thing. I haven't even installed the most recent firmware or looked into what "Geek Mode" brings to the table. I would recommend asking this question on their Facebook page, or emailing support@paintaudio.com. "Wilson Zuo" has responded to my technical questions, usually within a day or so, with very thorough, reasonable answers.

Black is always my preference, but in this instance I would recommend the "Gold" (which is more like a brushed steel) bundle with receiver. For $185, it's just a steal.

Got it in today.
20230507_105326.jpg

20230507_105611.jpg

Feels nice and solid, a little slimmer than the MIDI Commander.
20230507_110644.jpg

20230507_111746.jpg

I have no idea what FW it was on but I'm transferring the update files right now and for some reason it says there isn't enough space to transfer everything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Decided to pull the update files off of the MC and replace the original files. Still saying there's not enough disk space. Even with only the license folder remaining I have no space for the rest of the files? Wtf?

No choice but to power down and try a different USB cable but guess what? The unit is bricked

Decided to pull the update files off of the MC and replace the original files. Still saying there's not enough disk space. Even with only the license folder remaining I have no space for the rest of the files? Wtf?

No choice but to power down and try a different USB cable but guess what? The unit is bricked
Hope you can get it sorted out. I have been watching this thread and almost pulled the trigger on Amazon last night

Hope you can get it sorted out. I have been watching this thread and almost pulled the trigger on Amazon last night
We'll see what happens. Took it over to my wife's work PC to give it a shot since the documentation says a Windows PC is a better fit for this procedure but am getting the same error.

Had to reformat the drive and files are now transferring as I type.

I've barely even touched the thing and I'm already missing the ability to edit on the device

That’s a bummer, man. I would recommend emailing customer support right away. At least get the ball rolling. If you indicate it’s urgent, you’ll probably hear back tomorrow.

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with the newer firmware. This is a wild guess, but is there any chance you tried to copy over the zip file you downloaded along with the extracted files?

I’m still betting you’ll be happy with the MC once you get this resolved. I just hope you can unbrick the thing, rather than waiting on a replacement.

LOL ignore previous post. Looks like you’ve already got it resolved.

Honestly I think editing on the PC is easier than anything they could have provided on-device for a controller this versatile. But I can see where your early impressions would leave a bad taste.

Got it working after reformatting the internal memory. Took some time to set up my own preset, mostly open CCs, reprogrammed the up and down switches to tuner and tap tempo. The switches are the bees knees. Can press them at any angle and they latch just fine, another area where the Commander was lacking. The hex color coding for the switches are a little off but a small gripe.

20230507_172515.jpg

Something I find a little wierd is that once I boot it up I get dim colors around the footswitches:
20230507_172534.jpg

But after I toggle the switches on and off the dim colors go away:
20230507_172455.jpg

Gonna dive into geek mode next

Got it working after reformatting the internal memory. Took some time to set up my own preset, mostly open CCs, reprogrammed the up and down switches to tuner and tap tempo. The switches are the bees knees. Can press them at any angle and they latch just fine, another area where the Commander was lacking. The hex color coding for the switches are a little off but a small gripe.

View attachment 7134

Something I find a little wierd is that once I boot it up I get dim colors around the footswitches:
View attachment 7135
But after I toggle the switches on and off the dim colors go away:
View attachment 7136

Gonna dive into geek mode next
Waiting eagerly to see how well you geek out! Glad you were able to resolve the firmware update issue.

Geek Mode is pretty damn cool, am in the middle of setting up a few pages of commands and stumbled upon an issue. You can assign any of the switches either a Down or Up designation -- which cycles through the geek mode pages.

So far the only way that I can tell to edit a switches' behavior is to press that switch and then press the encoder to bring up the edit window for that switch -- only by the time you press an assigned UP/DWN switch you're dumped onto the corresponding page before you're able to open up the edit window to change it.

Right, looks like Geek Mode was their answer to the question, “Can you set up switches to change between presets on the controller?” I put this question to the MIDI Commander folks and at first they didn’t understand it (versus the controller changing presets on a target device), then told me it wasn’t supported. Someone else asked for the same thing for MIDI Captain, and they provided him with custom firmware within a couple of days. Apparently that became “Geek Mode”.

Yes, all of the per-switch editing happens on PC in Notepad or similar text editor. The on-device editing is for global (or preset-wide) behaviors.

But I think by now you know more than I do. :) What’s your target device (modeler) again?

Someone else asked for the same thing for MIDI Captain, and they provided him with custom firmware within a couple of days. Apparently that became “Geek Mode”.
Sounds like user requests are taken seriously. That's very hopeful
Yes, all of the per-switch editing happens on PC in Notepad or similar text editor. The on-device editing is for global (or preset-wide) behaviors.
True for the normal mode where you can alter button behavior to almost the nth degree. Geek mode is available to be edited from the device but you can't get the switches as detailed as normal mode.

In geek mode you can assign a switch to act as a tap tempo switch but it won't flash like one (you can have this in normal mode) and switch LEDs are always on whether or not the state of the switch is a toggle or not, so toggling the same switch makes no changes to the LEDs. Just an observation..

But I think by now you know more than I do. :) What’s your target device (modeler) again?
I have an HX Stomp on Ch1 and Suhr Micromidi (for amp channel switching) on Ch2

Sounds like user requests are taken seriously. That's very hopeful
They absolutely do. I wrote them with some pretty esoteric questions about compatibility with CME WIDI Master in Group mode (to support multiple simultaneous controllers e.g. MIDI Captain + EV-1-WL), thinking in all likelihood they'd have no idea what I was talking about. They got back to me within a few hours with a lengthy, thorough response. While their proprietary, internal wireless doesn't directly support CME WIDI Master (in fact it isn't Bluetooth per se), they were understood all of my questions, and provided intelligent responses, describing the tradeoffs of various configurations in terms of latency, etc.

(I followed up with a recommendation that they release their own wireless expression pedal that could pair simultaneously with MIDI Captain, and they said this was such a good idea that they're "already in deep discussions".)

Back