OwnHammer Workhorse

Stone

Rock Star
Looking at this , and wondering how does one choose ? there are like a million combinations, would this not cause option paralysis ?
While i do like IR's i do find that Most IR just have wayyyyy to many options
Here's hoping we can get improved cabs along with simplicity

That's why I just go with York, 1/3rd of the IR's in a pack, it's like taking all the usable IR's out of a pack of 900. Once I find an IR I dig with a specific amp, I'll generally use that IR across similar amps, which cuts down considerably with the options. Like the DV77, I've got one IR from a York pack I use on the majority of high gain, modern metal tones.

IR's that tend to work for Marshalls generally work great with all the Marshall derivatives. I'm not convinced I'm going to find a 'more specialer' tone by pairing every amp to it's own specific IR. Even the Austin Buddy pack I posted about yesterday, that uses a lot of the same IR's across multiple amps.

That's why I just go with York, 1/3rd of the IR's in a pack, it's like taking all the usable IR's out of a pack of 900. Once I find an IR I dig with a specific amp, I'll generally use that IR across similar amps, which cuts down considerably with the options. Like the DV77, I've got one IR from a York pack I use on the majority of high gain, modern metal tones.

IR's that tend to work for Marshalls generally work great with all the Marshall derivatives. I'm not convinced I'm going to find a 'more specialer' tone by pairing every amp to it's own specific IR. Even the Austin Buddy pack I posted about yesterday, that uses a lot of the same IR's across multiple amps.
True I also use York IR's and I quite agree that we should only have a few IR's for almost anything, besides Austin, Leon as well has this approach
ill be holding back on any IR till I see what 3.2 has to offer, it might just be the cats meow and a more simplistic approach
we shall soon find out :D

It looks like this one is simplified compared to browsing through all the different mic types. Sounds good on their demo video.

There are 6 voicings per speaker type with 3 different speaker types. Same 3 speakers in 60 different cabs.

The voicing choices are named high gain, mid gain, clean, etc. You don't have to worry about mics or placement.

I like starting with a 57 at cap edge 1" off and then blending in another oddball character mic or another 57 off axis.

I love York Audio IRs. But I find myself choosing OwnHanmer ones for many situations. They have their strengths and uniqueness. I usually go to the Summary folder to taste stuff out.

Don’t have much experience with IR’s other than a couple purchases from York, they’ve worked just fine for me…
No Idea Reaction GIF by SomeGoodNews

Best way to pick an IR is with a looper. Don’t look at the monitor, just use the arrow key to scroll thru them. Whatever sounds good, use THAT one. regardless of what the IR was made from.

If I were running Ownhammer, I'd only offer like 10-15 impulses per pack. They do a really good job capturing IR's, but then there's about 1,000 options. And the packages keep changing, so it's harder to keep up. It used to be go to Quick Start and find the OH1 file and that's a good starting point. Maybe grab the 57 and one of the darker mixes too.

Ownhammer, at least the early stuff, has a sound. It's a little more low end, a little dip in the harsh frequencies, and smooth but present highs. When they came out the IR's on the market were real raw and hit or miss. So the OH stuff was money. But over time the libraries grew bigger and bigger with more and more options. It sounds good on paper but not as much in practice.

Where York really took off was to really curate the packs and not have nearly as many options, and to make sure the mixes were really well balanced. So instead of having 30 different mixes with different tonality, you have more like 10-15 mixes that are numbered, and mix 01 tends to sound really good.

Back