What cab should I get?

metropolis_4

Shredder
Now that I’m committing to the Mark VII I need to get a speaker cab for it.

Looking for compact and portable, but not boxy sounding. I only do high gain for fun, I’m looking for versatility here with an emphasis on clean and low gain.

I’m thinking the Mesa 23 open back might be a solid choice?

How is the Mesa 19 Thiele sound?

Anyone try the Mesa 2x10?

I’ve never actually used those Mesa speakers before, but I’m always wary of high power speakers.

I’ll mostly be using the amp in the 25 setting with el34s so I’m tempted to try something like a g12h30 or even a Celestion Gold.

the h30s have become possibly my favorite speaker since getting the EVH 2x12

a thiele would be sweet too tho.

I always ran my Marks in the past with a trad mesa 4x12 with V30s

Celestion Gold might be an interesting pairing. I'm punching myself for getting rid of a 1x12 with a good one.

The Mark series amps can be extremely midrangy, so I think they might pair well with something that is not super midrangy too. I know V30s are the defacto option for these, but I could see e.g the Mesa Black Shadow C90 speakers working well. Maybe with something a bit more scooped you don't have to crank that 750 Hz slider as low.

Something convertible that you can turn into a semi-open backed cab gets my vote. I
like Celestion Alnico Gold/Cream, too. I think open/semi-open back cabs help offset
the inherent boxiness of a closed back 1 x 12.

I use a Mesa Boogie 19 open-back 1x12 + a Mesa Boogie 19 Thiele with my Mark VII.

They sound great individually and when combined.

1000000883.jpg

If I could only choose one of them, it would be the open-back, but they look and sound so good together. :chef

I have a Mesa Boogie 2x12 with V30s, an Orange V30 1x12, and a Marshall 1960B 4x12 with T75s, but I prefer the MB 19 open-back + Thiele stack with the Mark VII.
YMMV
:beer

I’m really tempted to try the Mesa 2x10. I like 10s, I never want more lows, I like the immediacy, a 2x10 seems less “beamy”, and I feel like 2x works better than 1x at a wider range of volumes.

But the VII is already very “forward” and immediate. I wonder if it would be too much with 10s?

I use a Mesa Boogie 19 open-back 1x12 + a Mesa Boogie 19 Thiele with my Mark VII.

They sound great individually and when combined.

View attachment 13494

If I could only choose one of them, it would be the open-back, but they look and sound so good together. :chef

I have a Mesa Boogie 2x12 with V30s, an Orange V30 1x12, and a Marshall 1960B 4x12 with T75s, but I prefer the MB 19 open-back + Thiele stack with the Mark VII.
YMMV
:beer

I like the idea of the 19 cabs but are they a bit boxy with clean and low gain?

I like the idea of the 19 cabs but are they a bit boxy with clean and low gain?
I don't perceive them as boxy, but my hearing has endured 35+ years of abuse, so YMMV. I suspect the combination of the open back with the Thiele in a large high-ceiling room mitigates any boxy overtones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like your idea of the 2x10 creamback cab. I'd like to try one of those someday.

Zilla FTW.
Outta the stacks of Mesa cabinets I’ve owned over the decades, I found them to have this…
-slight harsh aftertaste that I had to work at beveling off,
no matter the speaker installed.

I wouldn’t stray too far away from a Mesa cab. Mesa more than most others seem to sound best with their branded stuff.

Back