New to Modeling and Want to Dip my Toe in the Water

Safest way to “dip your toe” would be a Helix Stomp. Play with it and HX Edit. Small investment in case you don’t like it. But if you do, then you can easily explore the bigger units.

Based on this? No brainer.

testing-neural-dsp-quad-cortex-modeler.jpg

I've invested serious time with all of the major players and this is the one that will bring the quickest satisfaction without the
need to study manuals or go through any ridiculous learning curves.

Block out most of the QC grumblings you hear around this place.
The anti-Neural mentality is part of the foundation of the forum unfortunately! :giggle:
iu

How can a person criticise the power adapter of the HX Stomp and recommend the QC at the same time?

1. Was specifically talking about the Stomp PS size - which everyone agrees is ridiculous along with the fact the plugs protrude from the brick making it cumbersome as all hell.
2. I used a QC for a year and a half with zero PS issues. Heard the same from tons of others.
3. You are a card carrying member of the anti-Neural foundation I noted earlier, so your comments need to be tempered accordingly.

With all due respect of course!
:beer

Get a PodGo. It doesn't sound like shit. To the extent its sound approaches that of excrement, it is so much further from excrement than Logic Modeling that you seem to be relatively satisfied with that it's not worth discussing in this thread.

The Stomp only makes sense if you are going to be picky about dialing your own presets and/or you wanna integrate into a larger pedal board with other pedals. For the kind of music you play, you are not going to need the extra routing flexibility offered up by the Stomp vs the PodGo.

What you are going to play through/ listen through is important.
For example, if you are going to be running it through your DAW/ desktop monitors then start with a few good plugins, Helix Native was a good suggestion. Neural DSP plugins are good and less complex.

If you want a stand-alone hardware solution a Yamaha THR 10 would be simple and convenient. It can be a small all in one and also go via USB into DAW whenever you want.

Questions for you:
  1. What's your budget?
  2. How are you planning to use the modeler? Live use, recording, or both?
  3. What are you planning to play through? Studio monitors, headphones, P.A. speakers, or guitar amps?
  4. Do you use a lot of effects?
  5. Do you need to integrate the modeler with other pedals?
1. Budget $500-$750
2. Live only, for recording will use presets built into DAW or a mic on a physical amp
3. Both P.A. speakers and guitar amps
4. Not really a lot, just basics like delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, auto-wah and tremelo
5. Not at first maybe after using it awhile

Last edited:
If you want a stand-alone hardware solution a Yamaha THR 10 would be simple and convenient. It can be a small all in one and also go via USB into DAW whenever you want.
Had one a those Yamaha THR-10s about 10 years ago and thought it sounded like ass. Maybe the new ones sound better.

Don't need to go into DAW direct, Logic X Pro already has some good selections built in. I go into DAW with my guitar plugged into a Scarlett interface and use the built in sounds in DAW or use a SM-57 on my amp and plug the mic into the Scarlett into DAW.

Last edited:
What would you good folks here at Gear Forum recommend?
Let me re-emphasize the "good folks" part. What will work best for my requirements for performance only?
Have you considered profiling/capturing/t0an modeling, since you seem more interested in presets than making your own sounds? They are basically preset machines unless you get into making your own profiles.
Hmm :unsure:. Profiling/capturing vs modeling. Very eenterestink! I'll have to check that angle out further!

3wv1a0.jpg

Back