Tell me about the Headrush MX5

This thing sounds great! And it's so inexpensive! What can you tell me about it? Good, bad, ugly?

There was one dude here who loved the MX5, but he seems to have gone dark of late. :idk

Nice interface everything else is third rate.

Good to hear, the MX5 is a turd. Great design, very poor sound quality.

I used to be a huge proponent for the MX5, esp over at TOP.

I initially sold my PG (that was my first L6 gear) when I heard about the MX5's release. The thing that got me initially hooked were the Marshall tones, which I always felt were much better to my ears than the Helix, (Not true anymore, esp since the new cabs, other sonic updates and the 2203), and the flexible signal chain compared to the PG.

It was great when I had it, but then I started noticing issues with the modeling over time. The unit had switching issues, and the amp models, while they sounded good and very usable, it was lacking some dimensionality. When I tried the HX Stomp, everything changed for me. It felt way more 3D than the 2.5D sounding MX5. So I sold it for the Stomp.

Either ways, it's not a bad modeler. It has a lot of things going for it, like the UI/UX - very usable. IR and preset management is a breeze, because when plugged into a computer, it becomes a file explorer. The looper is one of the best and you can load and record complete songs almost, unlimited looping and overdubs. The unit itself is build solid, good expression pedal, a great all-in-rig that can do IR loading, dual cabs, dual amps etc.

The unit has good sounding drive pedals, compressors, wahs, filters, decent reverbs and good delays. The mods are OK, had much to be desired. Usable in a pinch though.

I used to be a huge proponent for the MX5, esp over at TOP.
@paisleywookiee I remember that you had created that Headrush MX5 thread on TOP. I even sent you a DM thanking you for that thrrad, because it was one of the most productive forum threads I have seen and had the pleasure to be a part of. The MX5 TOP community is actually a good one. Very positive, helpful, and non-judgy!

Found some good friends on there.. @MadMaxG79 , @the swede , @miggelblast , @dronerstone amongst a few of them

@paisleywookiee I remember that you had created that Headrush MX5 thread on TOP. I even sent you a DM thanking you for that thrrad, because it was one of the most productive forum threads I have seen and had the pleasure to be a part of. The MX5 TOP community is actually a good one. Very positive, helpful, and non-judgy!

Found some good friends on there.. @MadMaxG79 , @the swede , @miggelblast , @dronerstone amongst a few of them
We love you too ❤️

The Headrush Pedalboard is still my "weapon" of choice. It's just the perfect balance between excellent UI, good sound, amount of useful options and form factor (in that prioritized order) for me that I'm not currently looking to switch to another platform.

I also have an HX Stomp and while I think it is the most useful tool in the whole world of multi effects and amp modelling, I don't want to use that as my all-in-one because of the limited form factor and DSP and I currently don't want to switch to Helix LT or Floor because of the UI. Not that it's bad, it's just not as great or effective for me as the Headrush Pedalboard. I have very limited time with my gear, both at home and in our rehearsal space with the band and I want to utilize that time playing guitar as much as possible, not fiddle with settings. And I DON'T want to have to hook up a computer in order to have an effective work flow. While a lot of Headrush users are asking for a PC and/or Mac editor, I really don't need that. I wouldn't mind it of course, but I get everything I need from the on board UI. And I just never felt that way about the HX Stomp. It was just a little too much of a hazzle to do things on the on board UI - compared to the Headrush, that is.

For me personally, good UI is top of the list of things I want out of a modeler, followed by good fidelity / sound. Obviously a great UI/UX doesn't mean anything if the sounds are not good - but I happen to really like the sounds I get out of the Headrush. I have no doubt that I would like the Fractal modeling even better. But I have absolutely no desire to operate one of those units. The Helix units (LT or Floor) are definitely the ones that come the closest to knocking the HR off my throne right now, especially with the last couple of updates, but I don't see it happening yet. I was very interested in the QC when that came out but I'm happy I didn't jump on the that particular band wagon. Also have no use for profiling as I only own one single, crappy, 100W tube amp that is basically just a power amp for my modeler...

Back