Tell me about the Headrush MX5

Ledvedder

Groupie
I've been trying some different modeling gear lately. I'm currently in the market for a Fractal FM9. I tried a Line 6 HX Stomp XL, but ended up returning it. I wasn't happy with the size of the display, as it was difficult to see while gigging.

Then, this morning, I saw this video. This thing sounds great! And it's so inexpensive! What can you tell me about it? Good, bad, ugly?

:barf

I don't mean to be dismissive, but I have heard the outdated Headrush algos via my
buddy's Headrush Prime for damn near a year now, and we were both relieved when
he went back to his Helix. Just no comparison. The L6 outshone it every way---apart
from the sonic appeal of a touchscreen. :LOL:

There was one dude here who loved the MX5, but he seems to have gone dark of late. :idk

Honestly, it is not even something I would consider unless it was the only option.

And if you can't see the details on a Stomp an even smaller unit isn't going to address that.

I know you already got the better FM9, but I had the Headrush Gigboard and it was awesome! Easy to use, lots of built in as well as third party options.

If you learn how to use it , some of the amps are pretty great sounding. The IR management is amazing ( it’s just a file browser basically).

I think some of the amps are more idealized than “realistic”. I prefer the Marshalls and tweed amps in Headrush to Helix ( exception being the new 2203 maybe)

The effects are a mixed bag, some are great some not so much.

for around $300 used it’s a pretty great device.

I saw a queen tribute and the "Brian May" clone's tone was trash. I thought I could recognize the MX5 from my spot in the audience and later when asked about his gear, my suspicions were confirmed. He thought it was great :poop: 🥄

If you learn how to use it , some of the amps are pretty great sounding. The IR management is amazing ( it’s just a file browser basically).

I think some of the amps are more idealized than “realistic”. I prefer the Marshalls and tweed amps in Headrush to Helix ( exception being the new 2203 maybe)

The effects are a mixed bag, some are great some not so much.

for around $300 used it’s a pretty great device.
It depends what you consider a comparison. I will clarify, it is the worst modeler from a sound standpoint in production.

Thank you, it's been a combination for me between my mother passing away, the resulting trip to MD and work wearing me out.

She was almost 92 so no reason to be upset, but then she's my mom - so it's sad no matter what.
My condolences. Totally understandable taking some time.

Thank you, it's been a combination for me between my mother passing away, the resulting trip to MD and work wearing me out.

She was almost 92 so no reason to be upset, but then she's my mom - so it's sad no matter what.
Condolences. One is never ready or prepared to lose a parent, no matter how old they are. My prayers to your family and strength to you

Back