New to Modeling and Want to Dip my Toe in the Water

QC vs. HX wall wart wars raging on!
200w.gif

Seriously though, QC is too expensive, and even HX Stomp sounds like overkill. POD Go would seem to fit the bill. Does the POD Go really sound that different than an HX Stomp?

Not really, but remember that modelers are not just about the amp sounds. There is also the effects and hardware (meaning I/O) in addition that all contribute to the final price. For your situation, based on the information you supplied, I would think that a Pod Go would work quite well for you.

Seriously though, QC is too expensive, and even HX Stomp sounds like overkill. POD Go would seem to fit the bill. Does the POD Go really sound that different than an HX Stomp?
No. I have both. There is a difference but it’s at cork-sniffing level. Once you’ve got effects going and it’s going through an amp or PA there’s no real difference.

1. Budget $500-$750
2. Live only, for recording will use presets built into DAW
3. Both P.A. speakers and guitar amps
4. Not really a lot, just basics like delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, auto-wah and tremelo
5. Not at first maybe after using it awhile

I’d start with the pod go. QC would probably be best match for you but three times your budget.

No matter what, if you are someone that wants to dial things in for 5 minutes with no modeling experience through whatever random speaker; you have laying around and expect instant gratification from factory preses; you aren't going to be happy with anything.

The IK anticonsumerdia patented Toan Seks pedal is worth a look, I think. The software blows, however. Just bring your own effects and go find that needle in a haystack profile/toan model/capture you love.

Not really, but remember that modelers are not just about the amp sounds. There is also the effects and hardware (meaning I/O) in addition that all contribute to the final price. For your situation, based on the information you supplied, I would think that a Pod Go would work quite well for you.
I’m not the OP. I’m leaning toward recommending POD Go here in light of the OP’s budget, and straightforward effects requirements.

I’m not the OP. I’m leaning toward recommending POD Go here in light of the OP’s budget, and straightforward effects requirements.
I’m pretty much “you can make all current modelers sound good”…but the podgo rubbed me the wrong way in every department, maybe cause cause of the default settings/presets…but I couldn’t get it to sound half decent quick….left me with the assumption that L6 sound designers have a different dna then me. Matches the impression from other sources (unreliable internet opinions) that L6 is not the easiest to dial in.
Anyway…for those reasons, not the first I’d recommend to someone looking for easy/quick satisfaction / first good experience with digital.

HX Stomp has better upsampling than the Pod Go.

Aka as squirrel removal.
Ah, yeah. Forgot about this. Then, having never heard a PodGo before (but having heard Helix before and after the oversampling update), I will say there is a noticeable sound difference, but still leagues beyond Logic stock guitar presets. For someone that is super averse to editing stuff, 6 knobs and 6 parameters in view at a time seems like a bigger deal than oversampling, but who knows.

For someone that is super averse to editing stuff, 6 knobs and 6 parameters in view at a time seems like a bigger deal than oversampling, but who knows.
I think this is the clincher in the Stomp vs Pod Go debate for OP along with the bigger screen and visual details.

I don't do "advice." My experience is no one ever listens, and people always have
their mind made up (at least 90% of people) beforehand anyways.

:rofl

That said, there are great platforms at virtually EVERY price point. Hard to go wrong. :beer

Back