New to Modeling and Want to Dip my Toe in the Water

maguchi

Roadie
Been a tube amp and analog solid state amp guy until now. But I really liked the preset guitar and amp sounds in my DAW (Logic Pro X). I'm hearing that the preset sounds on modelers sound very good these days too. So I'm ready to try modeling. I need something simple with good easy to get to presets and without layers and layers of display screens. An ergonomic, user friendly interface without complex command sequences for programming and editing "patches". Are they called patches like on keyboards, or something else for modeling? Most importantly, I don't want to spend much time tweaking sounds. I want to spend most of my time playing and not much time at all programming and modifying. Don't need to import any 3rd party sounds or plugins.

I play classic rock, blues, rockabilly, pop, reggae, funk, R&B, soul, Motown. And prefer Fender Tweed and Blackface sounds, Vox AC Top Boost and Classic old school Marshall like Plexi and Bluesbreaker/JTM sounds. I'm not really into Mesa Boggie, Friedman or high gain sounds. I've done a little research and so far I'm liking the Line 6 HX Stomp and HX Stomp XL. Are the Line 6 Stomps easy to work, do they have good sounds? What would you good folks here at Gear Forum recommend?

Last edited:
I think the Quad Cortex has the easiest UI of the current offerings, haven't tried a Tone Master Pro and probably never will, but it looks like it has a bunch of visual clutter and wasted space. The QC also sounds very good, but it has a bunch of other issues that may or may not bother you. The smaller HX devices sound good but the UI is certainly a compromise compared to some other products, you will be scrolling through several pages of three parameters.

I don't think Fractal is worth considering based on your UI requirements.

Have you considered profiling/capturing/t0an modeling, since you seem more interested in presets than making your own sounds? They are basically preset machines unless you get into making your own profiles.

Patch vs preset doesn't really matter, I think everyone will understand wahat you mean (maybe some linux-using types might go akshuallyyyyy). I'd call them presets, since I believe the term patch comes from connecting modules with cables on modular synths to create sounds, and that comes from telephone operators patching cables on a switchboard. The settings are pre-made -> preset. Now that I think about it, Fractal could be thought of as patching, since you're connecting blocks to each other with "cables" and attaching modulation sources to parameters. But you also have pre-saved settings within blocks.

I need something simple with good easy to get to presets and without layers and layers of display screens. An ergonomic, user friendly interface without complex command sequences for programming and editing "patches".
So almost anything currently available on the market (except Boss (and Fractal)).
Most importantly, I don't want to spend much time tweaking sounds. I want to spend most of my time playing and not much time at all programming and modifying
So literally anything currently available on the market.

I'm guessing the preset sounds on modelers sound very good these days too
Grace Helbig Vr GIF by This Might Get

Presets can be hit or miss and depend a lot on what specific instrument you're putting into them and what playback system you're running the modeler through. Chances are you're going to have to tweak something.

Would you use a computer editor if necessary?

Are you adverse to moving virtual mics on a virtual cabinet?

Whats your budget?

What size/form factor do you want? (tabletop/floor/rack)

Presets can be hit or miss and depend a lot on what specific instrument you're putting into them and what playback system you're running the modeler through. Chances are you're going to have to tweak something.

Would you use a computer editor if necessary?

Are you adverse to moving virtual mics on a virtual cabinet?

Whats your budget?

What size/form factor do you want? (tabletop/floor/rack)
Agreed, will eventually do a little tweaking, then maybe a lot of tweaking. However I want to walk before I can run. So that's why I'm starting out with something with preprogrammed sounds and easier user interface. To use an allusion, after I learn the basic reading, writing and 'rithmetic, I'll start to add onto that with algebra, then trigonometry and finally calculus. I don't mind getting a simple basic modeler to start with, then after I learn the basics, getting newer more and more powerful ones as my modeling knowledge and skill progress. The modeling world is not static anyway, there are new more powerful models coming out regularly. Budget is $500-$750 for the first entry level unit, Size and form factor is floor unit, small one at first and then gradually bigger with each upgrade.

Agreed, will eventually do a little tweaking, then maybe a lot of tweaking. However I want to walk before I can run. So that's why I'm starting out with something with preprogrammed sounds and easier user interface. To use an allusion, after I learn the basic reading, writing and 'rithmetic, I'll start to add onto that with algebra, then trigonometry and finally calculus. I don't mind getting a simple basic modeler to start with, then after I learn the basics, getting newer more and more powerful ones as my modeling knowledge and skill progress. The modeling world is not static anyway, there are new more powerful models coming out regularly. Budget is $500-$750 for the first entry level unit, Size and form factor is floor unit, small one at first and then gradually bigger with each upgrade.
In my mind you maybe overestimate the learningcurve / difference between modelers, they are more alike the different from eachother. If you understand one…you understand them all, and vice versa. Differences are like apple/android. And…some offer more underlaying parameters, to the point where you can dial specific preamp tubes(if I’m correct), but more tweakable doesn’t equal better sound quality. The sound quality is there in the most simple and affordable devices like Tonex also.

while not static, it’s not fast changing either. Kemper is a 13 year old device still competing at the top…that says something. Latest breakthrough is that the profiling/capturing tech has become available at a very low price, I’m sure other manufactures will follow that. I don’t think it’s likely that recent released hardware is gonna be replaced anytime soon, the newer generation is no longer a product where its quality/devlopment is restricted by the latest hardware.

UI wise, to me, everything on the market is good enough. Sure, boss and kemper come with lcd, so it feels a little dated, but those screens you can actually see in sunlight….so good choices for gigging players. Kemper puts lots of physical knobs on the table for the parameters you are likely to use most…some consider that great UI..their price is that for deeper editing you are scrolling menus. Every advantage comes with a disadvantage ;) I don’t think there is a modeler out there that wins from every angle you look at it…but they are all good enough to be a rock god.

I’d go for the form factor/size you want to land on eventually, forget about phasing that in.
Forgot about your “good presets” requirement, it’s A super subjective, B irrelevant cause it’s easy enough to make your own on any of them.
If UI is important to you, I’d go for one with a touchscreen

I’ve never used one, or had my hands on one, but hotone stage looks like a great starting point for someone to dip his toes. Modern interface, good balance between small/enough switches to play out, affordable, good set of IO, sounds good to me on YT. If your DNA requires “best of the best”…I’d look for a used FAS/kemper/quadcortex (still over budget) or if you fancy your pedalboard also…I’d look into Tonex, 5 great amp sounds at a time in a box, super affordable.

HX stomp is your best bet for cheap. It sounds ok and has enough features to be usable. Presets are crappy though but don’t waste money buying them because you can easily make your own.

I'd probably go with one of the Line6 Helix products. You can get a trial version of the Helix Native plugin and see how that works for you, the hardware units work exactly the same.

The HX Stomp is of course compact, but the larger Helix LT and Floor can do more and are easier to use because you have a bigger screen with more knobs so more params on screen at once. So if you don't mind the large floor unit form factor, I'd give say the Helix LT a go.

If you can get around Logic you can get around most of the modelers with a very short learning curve. The after a day or two the Line 6 user interface becomes really intuitive for an experienced guitarist. So you can put together your own rigs quicker than plugging in patch cables to your pedals and amp.

If you really don’t want to make your own presets/patches, consider buying preset packs from 3rd parties as opposed to relying on the ones in the box.

Lastly, don’t overlook PodGo or Headrush. They’re more limited than other options mentioned here, but might fit your needs.

If you can get around Logic you can get around most of the modelers with a very short learning curve. The after a day or two the Line 6 user interface becomes really intuitive for an experienced guitarist. So you can put together your own rigs quicker than plugging in patch cables to your pedals and amp.

If you really don’t want to make your own presets/patches, consider buying preset packs from 3rd parties as opposed to relying on the ones in the box.

Lastly, don’t overlook PodGo or Headrush. They’re more limited than other options mentioned here, but might fit your needs.
Except pod no and Head flush sound like shit.

1716726932302.png

This is the one unit I own that is easier to tweak via the board itself than through USB/Bluetooth on PC. Also, sounds great. I've got more fingerprints on this than anything else

Last edited:
Been a tube amp and analog solid state amp guy until now. But I really liked the preset guitar and amp sounds in my DAW (Logic Pro X). I'm hearing that the preset sounds on modelers sound very good these days too. So I'm ready to try modeling. I need something simple with good easy to get to presets and without layers and layers of display screens. An ergonomic, user friendly interface without complex command sequences for programming and editing "patches". Are they called patches like on keyboards, or something else for modeling? Most importantly, I don't want to spend much time tweaking sounds. I want to spend most of my time playing and not much time at all programming and modifying. Don't need to import any 3rd party sounds or plugins.

I play classic rock, blues, rockabilly, pop, reggae, funk, R&B, Motown. And prefer Fender Tweed and Blackface sounds, Vox AC Top Boost and Classic old school Marshall like Plexi and Bluesbreaker/JTM sounds. I'm not really into Mesa Boggie, Friedman or high gain sounds. I've done a little research and so far I'm liking the Line 6 HX Stomp and HX Stomp XL. Are the Line 6 Stomps easy to work, do they have good sounds? What would you good folks here at Gear Forum recommend?

Questions for you:
  1. What's your budget?
  2. How are you planning to use the modeler? Live use, recording, or both?
  3. What are you planning to play through? Studio monitors, headphones, P.A. speakers, or guitar amps?
  4. Do you use a lot of effects?
  5. Do you need to integrate the modeler with other pedals?

I need something simple with good easy to get to presets and without layers and layers of display screens. An ergonomic, user friendly interface without complex command sequences for programming and editing "patches".

Based on this? No brainer.

testing-neural-dsp-quad-cortex-modeler.jpg

I've invested serious time with all of the major players and this is the one that will bring the quickest satisfaction without the
need to study manuals or go through any ridiculous learning curves.

Block out most of the QC grumblings you hear around this place.
The anti-Neural mentality is part of the foundation of the forum unfortunately! :giggle:

Last edited:
I agree with the thread consensus... QC or Helix.

I'm a Helix fanboy myself and after the last couple years of updates, you can now call up any of the available amps w/ the default settings and you're off to the races

Back