New Synergy DRECT Module

This one surprises me. I thought that the recto sound is mainly created in the power amp and the preamp is more or less just an SLO clone. :idk

It sounds pretty brutal in the video, though. :rawk

Sounds great, but IMO too rich for my cheap ass. By the time you invest in the 50w amp and a few modules, you are $3K deep in their eco system and just scratching the surface, but does sound nice to my ears.

Soldano SLO has nothing in common with a Mark series amp. It’s basically a heavily tweaked JCM800 circuit.

Story goes that he got fed up of people bringing in battered JCM800’s that needed a ton of work before they could be modded. The prices of them was also (supposedly) creeping up and he figured it’s just easier to build from scratch.

Not sure if he was building Hot Rod and SLO circuits from 800’s, but those circuits are identical aside from about 5 component values anyway.

History has proven that the Rectifier improved on the SLO, discreet channels, more modes, more of a distinct and contemporary (for the time) sound.

I guess there's a lot of misinformation online then, because I've found a lot of examples saying Soldano bought a Mark II, and began modifying that, which then became the early SLOs.
it’s complete bollocks. This website has a great write up on how circuits went from Bassman->Plexi->JCM800->SLO100.

Kind of makes sense too if you think about what people wanted from their JCM800 - more gain, another channel, FX loop. Mike was modding Marshalls before building his own amps, you can find examples of some online.

The 39k cold clipper is usually the giveaway that a preamp is SLO inspired, it’s too specific of a value and no one did that before Mike. You see that in Rectifiers and 5150’s and Framus and other amps. Rectifier has so many distinct features that they’re really their own thing, even if there is some VERY similar parts of the circuit.

Last edited:
This one surprises me. I thought that the recto sound is mainly created in the power amp
I usually have to run the master on Rectos very low in order to keep it from sounding like a flubby mess. Not really sure how much of the power amp contributes to the tone of those amps.

Point I was making is most everything's derivative of something, so Soldano and Friedman continuing to bitch about it in the 2020's is kinda silly.

Is Mike really continuing to bitch about it though? The interview between them that most are referencing is six years old and he didn’t even seem all that interested in going in to it, and appeared more disappointed about it than angered.

This one surprises me. I thought that the recto sound is mainly created in the power amp and the preamp is more or less just an SLO clone. :idk

It sounds pretty brutal in the video, though. :rawk
The original released Rev C in 1991/1992 was a SLO clone basically, however it was aimed at the 80s glam metal scene, and when the music scene rapidly shifted to grunge and sludgier heavy metal, Mesa smartly pivoted and had several revisions of the circuit until they settled on the Rev G which saw them through the 1990s until the 3 channel was released around 2000.

The modern rectifier and the SLO are different animals for sure. The SLO has a grittier gain and the Mesa blooms more, just from my experience.

I watched Fluff’s video earlier and I’m sure this preamp is great, but you’re missing the Modern power amp mode. I’m wondering if the preamp circuit here tries to emulate that or if this would really sound best through a 2:90 or 2:100 where you could switch on the modern power amp mode. I might snag this and try it with my Road King 2 just to know for sure, as you can do the same experiment with a recto head’s power amp.

The original released Rev C in 1991/1992 was a SLO clone basically, however it was aimed at the 80s glam metal scene, and when the music scene rapidly shifted to grunge and sludgier heavy metal, Mesa smartly pivoted and had several revisions of the circuit until they settled on the Rev G which saw them through the 1990s until the 3 channel was released around 2000.

The modern rectifier and the SLO are different animals for sure. The SLO has a grittier gain and the Mesa blooms more, just from my experience.

I watched Fluff’s video earlier and I’m sure this preamp is great, but you’re missing the Modern power amp mode. I’m wondering if the preamp circuit here tries to emulate that or if this would really sound best through a 2:90 or 2:100 where you could switch on the modern power amp mode. I might snag this and try it with my Road King 2 just to know for sure, as you can do the same experiment with a recto head’s power amp.
tbf even the older recto’s still had 2 distinct channels with their own EQ, different modes on each channel, switchable tube rectifier, no negative feedback on red modern. and the difference between a rev C and later ones is way smaller than what people online want you to believe. Yes it’s got its own vibe, as they all do, but it’s more similar to another rectifier than it is to any other amp. A lot of the revisions were kind of like what the Mark series amps went through where they were trying to balance a useable clean channel. Rev C’s clean is garbage, by the G it’s useable, and on the 3 channels it’s much better.

I’m a bit of a slut for Rectifiers and this seems like such a micropenis equivalent of the amp by not including a suitable poweramp. Can pretend all you want it’s not a big deal, but if you want the distinctive recto tone it’s not like they’re that hard to get hold of. And let’s face it, modellers finally have them pretty good in 2024 (no, not you TMP),

The Recto has a whole alphabet's worth of different 'rev's. My understanding was the preamp was SLO derived but actually diverged a lot quicker than the people on the net who are oversimplifying things by unilaterally dismissing the DR as an SLO preamp with a Mesa power amp make it out to be.

But, yes, you'd probably want a Mesa power amp (they did a rack version of the Recto power amp at one point that'd likely be perfect) if you want it to be exactly like a Dual Rect amp. Some amp's flavor is more power amp influenced than others. The Rects have that rep (the Diezels do too). At least unlike Diezel rack amps, Mesa rack power amps actually exist.

The Synergy stuff is not about creating the entire amp. It's a palette to work with. If you want a DR there are about 8 billion of them on the used market or even new that you can get for less than a Synergy setup probably.

This one is not too compelling an offering for me... strikes me mostly as a box ticker on the checklist. 'Gotta have a recto'.

Last edited:
I thought about this also, I while ago I thought about getting into the Synergy eco-system, but a lot of the modules just sound the same to me.

The difference between any given amp head set for a specific amount of gain is smaller than you might expect once you eliminate every other variable. Ask people who have put a few heads in an amp switcher and flipped between them and they'll tell you. That's been my experience for sure.

Eliminate the poweramp as a variable and yep the differences between one preamp and another feels even smaller.

So it's not that all Synergy stuff sounds the same, it's more that preamps in general account for less of the total picture than a lot of people realize.

Last edited:
Back