Synergy Owners Thread

Mongillo19

Rock Star
I think it will be limited but figured I'd start a synergy amps owner thread.

I currently have the SYN2 loader connected for power amp sim, post effects, and cab sim to the Axe FX 3. I occasionally run it into my bad cat Lynx X for a tube power amp as well. I have the SLO module and Uberschall and absolutely love both of them.

I've also tried the Fryette Pitbull UL but just couldn't jive with that one. What are all your experiences with synergy/use purposes. If you had to pick one module what would it be?

I'll tag @Elric to get the ball rolling 😂

I loaned my Syn1 + Bassman and OS modules to a friend that Knows Tone. A Two Rock was his touring amp for a few years. He declared the OS clean tone to be superior to anything he'd played. Returned my modules with a wad of cash and kept the Syn1.

I have a Syn2 incoming. Think I'd like to add an Ecstasy and Metroplex and be done.

I've run it into a solid state power amp/cab with great results, into a Helix for verb/cab modeling; FM3 for verb/tremolo/cab modeling, and its worked great in all scenarios.

If I had to pick only one module?!? Uh...I would've gotten something else? The whole point is the range of modules.

Thanks for the tag @Mongillo19 ; In. I’ve got a SYN2 and SYN5050 as well as the Syn30 head. I have all of the Synegry modules except the AC and VH4. I also have a Salvation Camerock and Jose-mod Syn Plexi module that was modded by Dave Friedman. I’ve got a home studio setup where I can run the Syn2 with a lot of other stuff too. Huge fan of the versatility/fun of the system!

My thoughts on the modules I've tried;

LOVE
IICP
Uber
TDLX
Deliverance

Bman
OS
Powerball
Ecstacy
Vai
Herbert

MEH
Friedman's
Ultra Lead
VH4

I really like the IR-X so maybe the Friedman BE Deluxe module would be more my thing? VH4 module was readily my least favourite which was unexpected.

having just purchased the Friedman Ir-x (I know not synergy) - just wondering how you are setting the synergy and the Fractal for 4 cable method - I have a FM3 but when I used 4 cable there seems to be a lot of hiss.
I'm currently into guitar into fm3 -> fm3 out2 -> friedman ir-x input -> friedman balanced out -> fm3 input 2

if I just go guitar into friedman input->friedman balanced out -> fm3 input 2 it is really quiet

Are there any settings i need to use in the fm3?

having just purchased the Friedman Ir-x (I know not synergy) - just wondering how you are setting the synergy and the Fractal for 4 cable method - I have a FM3 but when I used 4 cable there seems to be a lot of hiss.
I'm currently into guitar into fm3 -> fm3 out2 -> friedman ir-x input -> friedman balanced out -> fm3 input 2

if I just go guitar into friedman input->friedman balanced out -> fm3 input 2 it is really quiet

I only use digital stuff after the synergy; no 4CM.

I have had a fair share the high gain modules apart from the ones that came out this year as well as a SYN-2 and a SYN50 head. Currently have a 2 channel mode modded Randall RM100 and a SYN-1. The SLO module is probably the GOAT for me. I've shot a couple of modules out against the real heads too. The Diezel Herbert and Engl Savage module did not live up to the amps they were modeled after (at least to me) but the Powerball module pretty much nailed the Powerball tone and feel. I still need to shoot the VH4 module out against the real amp but I do get the impression that the module captures the essence of the amp.
I've had both Fryette modules and love them, both Bogner modules were great too. The Überschall was a little noisy, the Ecstasy was outstanding. The Friedman BE and HBE modules were alright but didn't blow me away. The BEBB module though is great. Fantastsic cleans and nice crunches. The 800 modules was pretty nice too. I've probably forgotten some but I dig the system. It's like Pokemon cards when I was a kid. Wanted them all!

I use Synergy as well as the older Egnater and Randall MTS stuff. Most of it is run through a Fryette PS-100. I've tried them through several amp heads and they all sounded slightly different, but equally well. I decided to ultimately go through the PS-100 as I found it best when working with multiple styles of modules to have a transparent power amp. Basically, let the module do the heavy lifting for tone. Plus a power station is one of the items they use when designing all the modules. I attempted to run the SYN2's and M4's though my Randall RM100, but having to use a loop switcher into the FX return introduced too much noise. It is much quieter through the PS-100 set up like that. I also have an Egnater M4 that I run as a bass module platform. Currently it's going through the power section of my Mesa Titan. Every so often when I acquire a small batch of MTS modules I'll send them off to Rob at Jaded Faith for some custom mods.

I think it's great Synergy was able to get the actual companies to design their respective modules, but I think they're missing out on a big opportunity. I get it you need to replicate your popular amps, have a Fender & Marshall style module, I love my IICP module, etc, etc. But how about designing some original modules exclusive to the Synergy line that isn't trying to replicate something. That's really my only criticism.

Something I've discovered; which would tie into my original module criticism, is that some modules both Synergy and MTS work pretty well for bass. With some minor tweaking they'd be excellent for bass and open a different market for bass players. I have an old SL+ module that's pretty close to the Lemmy, Superbass/Murder One tone. I've tried the Blackface module which works decently as a Fender style bass tone too. It just needs a slight tweak to a more bass centric circuit and you'd have a perfect Fender bass module. I've even had Rob mod a MTS module into a Orange AD200B. He was able to replicate the circuit 1:1 and said he liked it so much that it'll now be part of his regular offerings.

Beyond that I've tried most of the Synergy modules that have piqued my interest except for the Uberschall and 6505. At some point I'll end up getting them. First on the list though is to send a couple of MTS modules to Rob for modding into better bass modules.

I feel like this post isn't complete without pictures...

First up are the one's I'm currently using for bass. Plans for these are to mod the SL+ into a Traynor TS50B, the Blackface into a Silverface Bassman circuit, and a Plexi Plus (shown in next pic) into a Marshall Superbass.

1697538623419.png

Next up is the Synergy & Modded Randall modules.

1697538701914.png

Last but not least is my modded Randall RM100. Mods include dual channel, foglifter+ w/ negative feedback control, input gain, and most importantly upgraded MM transformers. I also did the custom wrap myself. It sounds brutal with both the MTS & Synergy modules. The 2 Egnater are slated for mods, just not sure what to do yet.

1697538975590.png

Last edited:
I use Synergy as well as the older Egnater and Randall MTS stuff. Most of it is run through a Fryette PS-100. I've tried them through several amp heads and they all sounded slightly different, but equally well. I decided to ultimately go through the PS-100 as I found it best when working with multiple styles of modules to have a transparent power amp. Basically, let the module do the heavy lifting for tone. Plus a power station is one of the items they use when designing all the modules. I attempted to run the SYN2's and M4's though my Randall RM100, but having to use a loop switcher into the FX return introduced too much noise. It is much quieter through the PS-100 set up like that. I also have an Egnater M4 that I run as a bass module platform. Currently it's going through the power section of my Mesa Titan. Every so often when I acquire a small batch of MTS modules I'll send them off to Rob at Jaded Faith for some custom mods.

I think it's great Synergy was able to get the actual companies to design their respective modules, but I think they're missing out on a big opportunity. I get it you need to replicate your popular amps, have a Fender & Marshall style module, I love my IICP module, etc, etc. But how about designing some original modules exclusive to the Synergy line that isn't trying to replicate something. That's really my only criticism.

Something I've discovered; which would tie into my original module criticism, is that some modules both Synergy and MTS work pretty well for bass. With some minor tweaking they'd be excellent for bass and open a different market for bass players. I have an old SL+ module that's pretty close to the Lemmy, Superbass/Murder One tone. I've tried the Bman module which works decently as a Fender style bass tone too. It just needs a slight tweak to a more bass centric circuit and you'd have a perfect Fender bass module. I've even had Rob mod a MTS module into a Orange AD200B. He was able to replicate the circuit 1:1 and said he liked it so much that it'll now be part of his regular offerings.

Beyond that I've tried most of the Synergy modules that have piqued my interest except for the Uberschall and 6505. At some point I'll end up getting them. First on the list though is to send a couple of MTS modules to Rob for modding into better bass modules.

I feel like this post isn't complete without pictures...

First up are the one's I'm currently using for bass. Plans for these are to mod the SL+ into a Traynor TS50B, the Blackface into a Silverface Bassman circuit, and a Plexi Plus (shown in next pic) into a Marshall Superbass.

View attachment 12080

Next up is the Synergy & Modded Randall modules.

View attachment 12081

Last but not least is my modded Randall RM100. Mods include dual channel, foglifter+ w/ negative feedback control, input gain, and most importantly upgraded MM transformers. I also did the custom wrap myself. It sounds brutal with both the MTS & Synergy modules. The 2 Egnater are slated for mods, just not sure what to do yet.

View attachment 12085
That Randall looks sick as does the matching rack case!

Thanks for the tag @Mongillo19 ; In. I’ve got a SYN2 and SYN5050 as well as the Syn30 head. I have all of the Synegry modules except the AC and VH4. I also have a Salvation Camerock and Jose-mod Syn Plexi module that was modded by Dave Friedman. I’ve got a home studio setup where I can run the Syn2 with a lot of other stuff too. Huge fan of the versatility/fun of the system!

I’ve thought about getting out of the dedicated amp game, and just going with a SYN50 head. I wish they would include the clean channel on it like the SYN30 head though.

I’m assuming these heads are using power sections that are variants of the 50/50 power amp? How do you like the modules through that vs the PS100? Any meaningful difference?

I really like the IR-X so maybe the Friedman BE Deluxe module would be more my thing? VH4 module was readily my least favourite which was unexpected.
I dunno if it is placebo or what, but to me, the BE Dlx was much better than the stock BE or HBE. The switches give you a few more options. Maybe the ckt got tweaked a little, too. IMHO you should give it a go if you get a chance.

I'm with you on the 800. That module does not get enough love. It is great.

I also REALLY like the DS for the Friedman's. I dunno if you have tried it or not but I like that one a bunch.

It's been a while since I messed with the FM3 and the Syn stuff... The Axe 3 is controlling everything in the current version of my setup but, IIRC, you can control line vs instrument level, so you'd want that right, and you'd want to operate in unity gain mode. At one point I was running the FM3 in 4CM w/ the SYN30 and I don't think I had too much problem once I got all the levels, etc, sorted.

Tip for noise issues: If you put a gate after the return, you can set it to be controlled by the guitar input rather than the block input. That allows you to use lower gate settings that don't choke stuff off, etc.

I’m assuming these heads are using power sections that are variants of the 50/50 power amp? How do you like the modules through that vs the PS100? Any meaningful difference?
My understanding is that Fryette did the 5050 only so the heads were from another design AFAIK... IMHO, the 5050 is 'warmer' than the PS2 power amp and seems to be more of 'guitar' amp than the PS2. The modules (opinion alert) benefit from the voicing but it is not make or break, with something like an Axe in the mix you can tailor the overall output by controlling the signal it feeds the power amp...

There are lot of options out there for power amps, of course. It's fun messing with amp power sections, too.

It's been a while since I messed with the FM3 and the Syn stuff... The Axe 3 is controlling everything in the current version of my setup but, IIRC, you can control line vs instrument level, so you'd want that right, and you'd want to operate in unity gain mode. At one point I was running the FM3 in 4CM w/ the SYN30 and I don't think I had too much problem once I got all the levels, etc, sorted.

Tip for noise issues: If you put a gate after the return, you can set it to be controlled by the guitar input rather than the block input. That allows you to use lower gate settings that don't choke stuff off, etc.

My understanding is that Fryette did the 5050 only so the heads were from another design AFAIK... IMHO, the 5050 is 'warmer' than the PS2 power amp and seems to be more of 'guitar' amp than the PS2. The modules (opinion alert) benefit from the voicing but it is not make or break, with something like an Axe in the mix you can tailor the overall output by controlling the signal it feeds the power amp...

There are lot of options out there for power amps, of course. It's fun messing with amp power sections, too.
I managed to sort my noise issue by changing the output 2 to unity and selecting the boost/pad to 18

I just got a SYN30 head and the Metroplex module. I've drooled over the Metroplex amp for a while, and thought the Synergy approach would be a good shot for half the price of the "real" amp. For starters, the clean on the SYN30 is fantastic. I am a little on the fence about the Metroplex module, though. Blue channel is fantastic. The red channel? Seemed a bit flubby to me on the bottom end. But, today I was reminded about the cathode switch. Gotta mess with that, now. We'll see...

I just got a SYN30 head and the Metroplex module. I've drooled over the Metroplex amp for a while, and thought the Synergy approach would be a good shot for half the price of the "real" amp. For starters, the clean on the SYN30 is fantastic. I am a little on the fence about the Metroplex module, though. Blue channel is fantastic. The red channel? Seemed a bit flubby to me on the bottom end. But, today I was reminded about the cathode switch. Gotta mess with that, now. We'll see...
The Metroplex is a one trick pony. Probably one of the weakest modules in the entire line up. IMHO. Also, AFAIK the red and blue channel are the same.

Yeah those old power amps were heavy as f**k. We use to have a rack full of the old cs800s for the P.A. If the apocalypse comes there will be nothing left but cockroaches and old power amps.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
Back