New Mastodon amps from Victory

Once More Round the Sun was the last one I liked. I tried on Emperor of Sand and it just did not hit me at all. Hushed and Grim had a song or two but I just couldn't bring myself to go back to it for whatever reason¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Once More Round the Sun was the last one I liked. I tried on Emperor of Sand and it just did not hit me at all. Hushed and Grim had a song or two but I just couldn't bring myself to go back to it for whatever reason¯\_(ツ)_/¯

F*CKING BLASPHEMY!!!!!

They keep getting better and better for me, but I actually don’t dig their earlier stuff nearly as much as anything after Crack The Skye. I’ll take 70’s prog Mastodon over caveman Mastodon any day.

@DrewJD82 I actually prefer them when they stopped trying to be so "brutal" (especially vocally) because that is not their strong suit at all. I love the musicianship and the vocal work/interplay between them.

Crack the Skye is legendary

Once more round the sun is cool, but I'm still not totally in love with it. I remember seeing them live right after that came out, standing in the crowd on an eighth of mushrooms just feeling... bored to tears :(

Anything after that I can't get into at all

I dig Blood Mountain through Once More...

Of course; Blood and Thunder was killer and there is some great stuff on Leviathan but I am 100% more apt to go back to songs from stuff after that.

I love catchy choruses and there’s no shortage of those in their post-CTS stuff, but then they’ll go off on these proggy adventures and it does the same thing for me old Dream Theater used to do, takes you for a ride to somewhere entirely different before returning at the end. I can get lost in that stuff and they’re one of the few bands that can do that for me; Floyd, old DT, Mastodon, Vai, they’re all pretty good for stuff like that.

And the tones! Every song gets it’s own tone and they go nuts with production stuff. They just hit so many buttons for me at the same time it’s impossible for me to not love them. They’re heavy without being heavy for the sake of being heavy, can write catchy songs that get stuck in my head, slick production without sounding like the whole album is a Pro Tools masterpiece, they don’t give a sh*t what’s popular or working for other people, killer riffs and playing all around, they basically took over for Dream Theater for me in the way of being a prog band that doesn’t bore the sh*t out of me.

I’ll stop fanboying now. :rofl

They do it in a way that you don't necessarily notice tho. In a good way. There's already wayyyyyyyyyy too much overtly heavy just for the sake of itself stuff out there. I appreciate attention to being memorable as a songwriter versus flattening you with sledghammer 24x7 or sawing your face off with a chainsaw the whole time :nails

Ok not yet…

Banger of a song; killer riffs, catchy as hell chorus, lyrics not about whales….

The main riff in this song (after the keys intro) is like Riff Of The Decade for me…and another catchy chorus followed by a prog interlude going somewhere entirely different by the end of the song.

I could do this all day, I think the biggest thing that got me stuck on them so hard is that each time they release an album it lines up with whatever I have going on in my life. Crack The Skye came out as I was in the process of unf*cking myself during my drinking years and a lot of that album resonated with me, The Hunter not so much, but Once More Round The Sun, Emperor Of Sand and Hushed And Grimm were hitting the nail on the head.

Emperor came out the same week we lost our dog and Hushed And Grimm came out during my divorce, the former having a ton of lyrical content about losing loved ones early and Hushed And Grimm came after Brann’s own divorce, some of that sh*t was so close to home I couldn’t even listen to it for a few weeks.

In my mind for really no logical reason; I always felt like I shouldn't have liked the Hunter but I thought that record was great. Like it was their "let's dumb it down" record? I dig it \m/

In my mind for really no logical reason; I always felt like I shouldn't have liked the Hunter but I thought that record was great. Like it was their "let's dumb it down" record? I dig it \m/

I’d agree with that. Probably a return to ‘normal’ after the prog-fest of CTS. And “High Road” would have been an awesome Ozzy song.

Anyone that listens to HaG at least 5 times, and doesn't absolutely love it should be banned back to The Ghey Place.:clint

They keep getting better and better for me, but I actually don’t dig their earlier stuff nearly as much as anything after Crack The Skye. I’ll take 70’s prog Mastodon over caveman Mastodon any day.

I am with you. I pretty much LOVE everything they do really hard. I think they are honing and refining
their craft, in fact. :beer

Anyone that listens to HaG at least 5 times, and doesn't absolutely love it should be banned back to The Ghey Place.:clint

Yup. And yet we live in this click-obsessed culture where we are conditioned to render permanent and eternal judgment
5 seconds into a song/album/work of art. That's logical. :LOL:

It's fucking insanity that we have become THAT conditioned, and yet, there is no end of it in sight anywhere to be found. :idk

That’s how I feel about Opeth. I love their 70s Prog path.

Man, I try at least once a year to get into Opeth. I’ve said this in probably every Opeth thread over at MG.Org, but I just haven’t been able to find a song that hooks me in. It’s about time I give them another shot, it’s probably been two years. At this point I’m starting to memorize Blackwater Park without actually ever really enjoying the album. :rofl

Man, I try at least once a year to get into Opeth. I’ve said this in probably every Opeth thread over at MG.Org, but I just haven’t been able to find a song that hooks me in. It’s about time I give them another shot, it’s probably been two years. At this point I’m starting to memorize Blackwater Park without actually ever really enjoying the album. :rofl
Ghost of Perdition? This is the song that hooked me in... The acoustic part is :chef

Back