New Mastodon amps from Victory

DrewJD82

Staff member
Can’t say I saw this coming and I wonder if Bill is done with Friedman?!

I really know nothing about Victory amps aside from seeing them often associated with Rabea videos, which I’ve barely watched. I think the Kraken was a popular amp for a while, or still is?

Victory just updated their Sherrif amps too recently. I always wanted to try the tube preamp pedal of it, which always sounded tasty in demos.

Will have to give this a look.

something about victory that doesn't sit right with me, hell of a lot of marketing behind amps that I'm not sure sound that great and are just sort of middle of the road to me. Sort of like a better version of Blackstar to me, but better amps+more marketing.

also, I really like Mastodon's music so was pretty fucking weirded out by this video (01:02:30 ish) where Bill just starts taking a piss mid conversation as if its nothing.

Not sure he gives too much of a shit about what gear is associated with him, he basically just ends up using Marshall's in the studio

Last edited:
something about victory that doesn't sit right with me, hell of a lot of marketing behind amps that I'm not sure sound that great and are just sort of middle of the road to me. Sort of like a better version of Blackstar to me, but better amps+more marketing.

also, I really like Mastodon's music so was pretty f*****g weirded out by this video where Bill just starts taking a piss mid conversation as if its nothing.

Not sure he gives too much of a s**t about what gear is associated with him, he basically just ends up using Marshall's in the studio

Hahaha the video isn’t working but I definitely want to see that. Bill is generally the more levelheaded guy and Brent’s the crazy one, so that’d be pretty funny to see. I’m a huge Mastodon fan, easily my favorite band in the last decade and every album gets better and better.

I’d be like a kid in a candy store with Bill’s amp collection. I’d be perfectly fine hanging out in the corner while they did these tests to find out which heads/cabs worked the best.

Hahaha the video isn’t working but I definitely want to see that. Bill is generally the more levelheaded guy and Brent’s the crazy one, so that’d be pretty funny to see. I’m a huge Mastodon fan, easily my favorite band in the last decade and every album gets better and better.

Edited the link in my post, for some reason the timestamp was throwing it off. I'm a huge fan too, one of the few metal bands I'm still interested in and its awesome that they are still able to churn out new and interesting albums. Their amp collection is the nuts, I'm always nerding out over it (and its kind of the reason why I picked up a Marshall 2210 recently :))

I kinda have always felt this way too. For all of the ballyhoo about Victory amps, I've not heard a distinctive tone - either in recordings or in YouTube demos - that make take any sort of notice. Honestly, I feel like the Cornford amps that Victory's Martin Kidd previously designed are more distinctive (and more aesthetically pleasing to boot).

The Cornford MK50 MKII is hands down one of my favorite models in the FM9.

Huge Mastodon lover here. Actually decided to learn the whole Leviathan album, but am only on song #2 lol (I am Ahab) :grin

Not an IG user, but if Bill is changing amps he's going to have to alter his account from @billy_butterslax :annoying

Huge Mastodon lover here. Actually decided to learn the whole Leviathan album, but am only on song #2 lol (I am Ahab) :grin

Not an IG user, but if Bill is changing amps he's going to have to alter his account from @billy_butterslax :annoying

Hahaha that was his nickname well before the amp came out. Either he or his buddy mixed up “Smooth move, Ex-Lax” and “Nice catch, butterfingers” as “Smooth move, butterslax” and it stuck.

also, I really like Mastodon's music so was pretty f*****g weirded out by this video (01:02:30 ish) where Bill just starts taking a piss mid conversation as if its nothing.

Not sure he gives too much of a s**t about what gear is associated with him, he basically just ends up using Marshall's in the studio

Hahahahahaha Goddddaaaamn, I’ve pissed in plenty of Gatorade bottles but it looks like he was pissing into the soda can he just finished. There’s no f*ckin way that piss didn’t get everywhere. :rofl :rofl :rofl Any time that dude is on cam from his home studio it’s always a disaster, usually just the Wifi getting jacked up, he had to walk all over his house during the Tone Talk episode.

Hahaha that was his nickname well before the amp came out. Either he or his buddy mixed up “Smooth move, Ex-Lax” and “Nice catch, butterfingers” as “Smooth move, butterslax” and it stuck.
Well then I'm an idiot for not knowing that! Nothing new there :cuss

Thank you for setting me straight! :grin

Hahahahahaha Goddddaaaamn, I’ve pissed in plenty of Gatorade bottles but it looks like he was pissing into the soda can he just finished. There’s no f*ckin way that piss didn’t get everywhere. :rofl :rofl :rofl Any time that dude is on cam from his home studio it’s always a disaster, usually just the Wifi getting jacked up, he had to walk all over his house during the Tone Talk episode.

It's shocking he's married. :pee

At least they won't be 6 Grand! :crazy

Didn't Richie Kotzen follow Martin from Cornford to Victory, too??

Yeah I’ve come close to buying a Victory amp a time or two simply because they aren’t ridiculously priced. :ROFLMAO:

Friedman doesn't get his balls busted constantly because all of his amps are just variations on
the theme called "Marshall," but Victory does?? Hell, they even do variations on a theme called
"Fender," unlike you know who. :idk

I've never actually played a Victory. The aesthetic really rubs me wrong. Because we all know that
matters when it comes to how they sound and feel. :LOL:

I've looked at them but iirc; the models I gravitate toward don't have resonance or presence controls. Last time I looked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brent has always been an Orange guy no ?/

Brent-Hinds-Outtake-Blog-image-2.jpg

i think those dudes will play whatever as long as they get paid, which is exactly what i would do too. they seem pretty famous but i dont think they necessarily make a ton. i believe they are set to tour with Gojira so hopefully that goes well for them. i dig their music.

i dont really put much stock in youtube vids but i remember one vid where a victory amp sounded much worse than the others in the same shootout vid. again, could have been a total crap vid but that is really my only experience hearing them up against other amps in the same vid with the same guitar and cab.

Brent has always been an Orange guy no ?/

Brent-Hinds-Outtake-Blog-image-2.jpg

Hahaha he probably has one in his living room or something but his live rig for years has been a Diezel and two JMP’s. They use Orange cabs overseas a lot, I think they just have a sh*tload of them they keep in storage.

If Orange didn’t hate him by the time they finished making that amp, they absolutely did after this clinic. Brent’s a true wild card; no filter, none, dude doesn’t give a f*ck, to the point they minimize the amount of interviews he does and if he even does any more I’d be pretty surprised. It’s probably safer for the band that he doesn’t.

Back