New Mastodon amps from Victory

Didn't he nearly get killed (literally getting his head bashed in!) for running his piehole to
some wrong dudes once upon a time? System of a Down bassist, as I recall?

Didn't he nearly get killed (literally getting his head bashed in!) for running his piehole to
some wrong dudes once upon a time? System of a Down bassist, as I recall?
Yes, indeed, never heard what he said but I'm sure he asked for it, lol.

I just looked it up. Huh? He played the victim at first (Brent) and then Hotel security
footage showed him instigating the entire thing, including taking his shirt off and
punching two guys as they tried to get him to calm down. He didn't stop, so they
dropped his tatted ass. :idk

Hahaha he probably has one in his living room or something but his live rig for years has been a Diezel and two JMP’s. They use Orange cabs overseas a lot, I think they just have a sh*tload of them they keep in storage.

If Orange didn’t hate him by the time they finished making that amp, they absolutely did after this clinic. Brent’s a true wild card; no filter, none, dude doesn’t give a f*ck, to the point they minimize the amount of interviews he does and if he even does any more I’d be pretty surprised. It’s probably safer for the band that he doesn’t.

For all the attention he gets for being a "wild and crazy guy", so to speak, I found him to be quite chill and personable when I had the honor of meeting him about a year ago.

I live just outside of Atlanta and I happened to be at the opening of Rodney Scott BBQ, when I see a Ford SUV swerve up to the pickup spot and Brent jumps out. He came in and while he waited, we chatted for quite a while and he was as cool as can be. He waved politely over to my wife and kids, and then left not too long after that.

Huge Mastodon lover here. Actually decided to learn the whole Leviathan album, but am only on song #2 lol (I am Ahab) :grin

Not an IG user, but if Bill is changing amps he's going to have to alter his account from @billy_butterslax :annoying
Leviathan is the only Mastodon album I'll listen to. It's one of my favorites. I honestly haven't listened to any current stuff but the couple of releases after Leviathan didn't strike me like Levi did so I abandoned ship.

Leviathan is the only Mastodon album I'll listen to. It's one of my favorites. I honestly haven't listened to any current stuff but the couple of releases after Leviathan didn't strike me like Levi did so I abandoned ship.
If not being mega heavy is ok you should give Hushed and Grim a few full listens, imho it's really really good.

Personally, I’ve yet to hear anything clip-wise from Victory that made me want to check one out.

For all the attention he gets for being a "wild and crazy guy", so to speak, I found him to be quite chill and personable when I had the honor of meeting him about a year ago.

I live just outside of Atlanta and I happened to be at the opening of Rodney Scott BBQ, when I see a Ford SUV swerve up to the pickup spot and Brent jumps out. He came in and while he waited, we chatted for quite a while and he was as cool as can be. He waved politely over to my wife and kids, and then left not too long after that.

He's an extremely funny dude and I've seen enough footage of him being chill to know him being crazy isn't an all the time thing, but that's exactly what makes him a wild card. :ROFLMAO: Seems to be if he's pissed off, uncomfortable or drunk, the crazier side comes out. Surprised he didn't tame things down after SOAD's security guard nearly killed him.

He's an extremely funny dude and I've seen enough footage of him being chill to know him being crazy isn't an all the time thing, but that's exactly what makes him a wild card. :ROFLMAO: Seems to be if he's pissed off, uncomfortable or drunk, the crazier side comes out. Surprised he didn't tame things down after SOAD's security guard nearly killed him.
Sounds like someone who should grow the fuck up and take some personal responsibility - like not drink if it makes you aggressive, learn to control your emotions and so on. We should not celebrate anyone who is a "wild card" at nearly 50 years of age.

Sounds like someone who should grow the f**k up and take some personal responsibility - like not drink if it makes you aggressive, learn to control your emotions and so on. We should not celebrate anyone who is a "wild card" at nearly 50 years of age.

People are gonna people and the majority of people who behave like that give you the opposite of what you’re going for when you tell them to grow up. I really wouldn’t be surprised if he tanked the Jasta interview on purpose because he doesn’t want to do interviews, doesn’t like the idea of being a famous guy/Brent from Mastodon. Fortunately, I’ve yet to see a single person on the internet say they want to be like Brent when they grow up, so that’s a plus.

I’ll give it to Bill. He’s at least open that he uses whatever he wants or needs at the time. He’s never really been one to say “I only ever use my Friedman”.

This was actually pretty good. It’s more of a ”Tell us who you are” rather than being specifically about the Victory. He talked about other amps more than the Victory. This was one of the better interviews I’ve heard this Captain dude do, I love that he asked about the balance of high/low output pickups and high gain amps. I don’t think that topic gets brought up enough when talking to metal dudes and I spend so much time dialing in tones finding that right balance, it’s one of the things about tweaking and gear that I really enjoy.

Bill is definitely a gear nerd. He gets into all the stuff he’s used over the years towards the end and he’s really been through all of it. He still has the Butterslax head and it’s still his main amp, I don’t even know what association he has with this Victory because they don’t talk about it the entire time. :roflOutside of “an amp like this that has a lot of clarity“.

That was definitely worth the watch if you’re a Mastodon fan.

I do love Bill's work and I love Mastodon.

Bit so-so on Andertons tbh, even if I do buy a lot of gear from them.

andertons are bunk. constantly hear of issues from them (basically just sending boxes out of a warehouse without checking the contents). victory basically only exist because of andertons having an audience of people that’ll buy whatever they promote on their videos.

they’ve done tremendously well for themselves in the social media age but I have no idea why anyone would order from them over literally anywhere else.

andertons are bunk. constantly hear of issues from them (basically just sending boxes out of a warehouse without checking the contents). victory basically only exist because of andertons having an audience of people that’ll buy whatever they promote on their videos.

they’ve done tremendously well for themselves in the social media age but I have no idea why anyone would order from them over literally anywhere else.
LoYalTeE pOinTz bRo!

Totally opposite to my experience with both companies.

I ordered a Fender American Original 60s Jazzmaster from Andertons because at the time they were pretty much the only ones who had one in stock. Even then all they had was a floor model and it had a small pin size gouge on the back where you could see the plain wood. Anderton's contacted me, told all they had was a demo model, told me it had a small cosmetic issue, sent detailed picks and offered a full setup with my prefererred string gauge if I would take it. So I did and it's been a great guitar that came well setup.

Contacted Victory, they replied in a day answering the question I had clearly. By comparison getting in touch with for example Bogner or Fryette has been a constant "do I have to hound them every week with another email to get them to answer" annoyance.

As for the Victory Copper head I had, that was a great amp. Even came with a carry case which made it even easier to move! Much less idle noise than the Bogner I had at the time, never gave me any trouble. Only sold it because I didn't want to keep it around when I wouldn't be able to play it much. Would gladly buy again if I wanted a modern Vox AC30 type amp.

Back