New Line 6 Catalyst CX Amps

And I just realized that with the Grammatico model, that makes this the most affordable (AFAIK) Dumble amp combo on the market.

that line 6 gramatico gsg model is worth the price of admission by itself for real, I hope whatever they figured out in getting that model to sound so good in the preamp modeling shows up in future core engine overhauls. it's the only model (well it and the new JCM800) that have the really open mid-scooped touch sensitive breakup at the input stage, sounds and feels like a real tube input stage, kind of polar opposite of the "always compressed" feel of Litigator, and to a lesser degree the other older L6 marshal models that have been there for going on a decade. something something input dynamics over a vastly expanded range of behavior + maths

ELI5: why is the new one more expensive than the old one if everything is the same on them? 200W one is 200€ more, which is a lot for different grill color.

ELI5: why is the new one more expensive than the old one if everything is the same on them? 200W one is 200€ more, which is a lot for different grill color.
The regular price was always $299/$399/$499 (in US at least) though they were just running a sale on them so that might be the price jump you’re seeing.

The regular price was always $299/$399/$499 (in US at least) though they were just running a sale on them so that might be the price jump you’re seeing.
That means getting one of the old ones for 300€ and updating the firmware to get the new one is a great deal! If only I could try it first :(

I have more than enough amps already, but if I were in the market for a nice/cheap/loud solid-state thing, I'd definitely pick up a used Catalyst 200, update the firmware, and then play the sh*t out of the GSG all day long.

Definitely one of my favorite Helix amps! 😍

I ran the Helix into the power amp of my 1994 Twin Amp (100W, 4x 6L6) the other day, and the GSG sounded glorious.

Can’t believe I missed this update. Used the Cat 2X12 for my last two gigs instead of my Carol Ann and it performed excellent, but I would have opted for the GSG (favorite amp in Helix) has I know it was possible 🤦🏻

What's new:
  • More amps based on Helix models.
  • 24 effects. Two effects at once, each assignable pre/post.
  • Output power selector in the back. Mute/1.5W/100W/200W.
  • Noise gate.

Last edited:
Seems to me it fixes the major issue with the previous Catalyst series, the "one effect + reverb". While it's still not "two effects + reverb", at least most of the time you would get by with two effects.

I don't love the operation still, the "hold this fx button for 2 secs to change fx categories" sucks. Hold functions honestly should be the last resort option for UI/UX design.

The Cat is pretty much perfect for this - if you get along with its speaker and open backedness - it’s basically a POD Express in amp form!
I feel like it’s not though, is it? Express can run more effects simultaneously and easily select them all. The catalyst effect usage just seems worse than katana and pod express

I feel like it’s not though, is it? Express can run more effects simultaneously and easily select them all. The catalyst effect usage just seems worse than katana and pod express

Yes POD Express is more user friendly for fx selection - but Catalyst is easier to tweak your amp sounds. For headphone or hooking to monitors etc I think POD Express wins. Even though the Cat FX are fiddly, it does have an editor so you can dial in each effect preset exactly how you want it vs the stock ranges of the POD Express FX. I'll be using both a ton both separate and together :)

Back