Neural DSP Nano Cortex

There's always a ton of complaints and criticisms when it comes to amp modelling software.

Tonocracy got a fair bit. AT5 got a fair bit. Helix Native gets a fair bit. Cortex Control got some shade. Axe Edit gets a lot too. Even Guitar Rig.

At the end of the day..... opinions... assholes... etc etc etc !

There's always a ton of complaints and criticisms when it comes to amp modelling software.

Tonocracy got a fair bit. AT5 got a fair bit. Helix Native gets a fair bit. Cortex Control got some shade. Axe Edit gets a lot too. Even Guitar Rig.

At the end of the day..... opinions... assholes... etc etc etc !
Of course. Nothing's perfect.

But there's imperfect, and then there's imperfect, and there's the state of the ToneX software and on-device UI/UX at launch. (I'll hedge with "at launch" because, admittedly, I haven't bothered with it since that very week.)

My ears are probably shot at this point but outside of gain and volume staging I don't usually hear a big difference between the Tonex and QC captures. QC at least in my experience tends to send too weak of a signal during capture so there's usually less gain and more treble, otherwise it seems pretty close.

I'd be curious to try Tonex again if the software gets improved and stabilized.

youre-never-gonna-be-satisfied-ohitsteddy.gif

My ears are probably shot at this point but outside of gain and volume staging I don't usually hear a big difference between the Tonex and QC captures. QC at least in my experience tends to send too weak of a signal during capture so there's usually less gain and more treble, otherwise it seems pretty close.

I'd be curious to try Tonex again if the software gets improved and stabilized.
This matches my thoughts too. I don´t see ToneX being better (nor worse). I think they sound pretty similar, even when I expected ToneX to be more accurate.

At Neural DSP, we take immense pride in developing groundbreaking technology that pushes the boundaries of what's possible for musicians. With the release of the Nano Cortex, we've introduced a digital amp, cab, and effects processor, complete with Neural Capture, that fits in the palm of your hand.

Nano Cortex has been a global success, beating sales records in Europe, the USA, Canada, and Japan. But Nano Cortex is not just a product—it's a platform.

Just as we've demonstrated with the Quad Cortex and our line of plugins, we are committed to evolving and improving our products long after their release. Our history of delivering consistent updates, including major feature expansions and performance enhancements, attests to our dedication to supporting our community of musicians well into the future.

With thousands of new customers comes a wealth of fantastic feedback from the community, which we can use to expand upon the Nano Cortex platform. If you have purchased a Nano Cortex, we cannot thank you enough for your support.

We will continue to refine and expand upon the Nano Cortex, much like we have with other products in our ecosystem. Our commitment to excellence remains unwavering, and we are excited to see where this journey will take us.

If you would like to provide feedback or suggest a new feature for Nano Cortex, please do so on our forum.

Thank you.

- Neural DSP

Ah yes, this really told me what they plan to do with the NC. Also lol at consistent updates.

At Neural DSP, we take immense pride in developing groundbreaking technology that pushes the boundaries of what's possible for musicians. With the release of the Nano Cortex, we've introduced a digital amp, cab, and effects processor, complete with Neural Capture, that fits in the palm of your hand.

Nano Cortex has been a global success, beating sales records in Europe, the USA, Canada, and Japan. But Nano Cortex is not just a product—it's a platform.

Just as we've demonstrated with the Quad Cortex and our line of plugins, we are committed to evolving and improving our products long after their release. Our history of delivering consistent updates, including major feature expansions and performance enhancements, attests to our dedication to supporting our community of musicians well into the future.

With thousands of new customers comes a wealth of fantastic feedback from the community, which we can use to expand upon the Nano Cortex platform. If you have purchased a Nano Cortex, we cannot thank you enough for your support.

We will continue to refine and expand upon the Nano Cortex, much like we have with other products in our ecosystem. Our commitment to excellence remains unwavering, and we are excited to see where this journey will take us.

If you would like to provide feedback or suggest a new feature for Nano Cortex, please do so on our forum.

Thank you.

- Neural DSP

Ah yes, this really told me what they plan to do with the NC. Also lol at consistent updates.
It’s our history of delivering consistent updates that got me

If you have a suggestion please go to our forum OR
Write it down on a piece of paper , light it on fire and blow the ashes towards Finland

Overdrives by 2027, confirmed! :LOL: My guess is they weren't really expecting ToneX's announcement...

Also, guys. A platform?!

Last edited:

Thank you.

- Neural DSP

QC owners:

images

It’s our history of delivering consistent updates that got me

If you have a suggestion please go to our forum OR
Write it down on a piece of paper , light it on fire and blow the ashes towards Finland

Don't forget the "major feature expansions", like.....um.....uh...

Seriously, what "feature" have they added to Quad Cortex in the past four years that wasn't announced in spring 2020?

I don’t think they are going be able to add amp models as you can usually have 3 captures for the price of 1 full model if they could I would be stoked

I expect they are more likely to fill up the fx categories like tonex

This is a good start for the NC but they need to up their game if they're going to compete. Those effects slots need to be adjustable and movable while still giving gapless preset changes. I mean look at what the Kemper Player is doing. Even without the paid upgrades. Incredible.

Last edited:
Well, some time ago I already provided some feedback on their facebook page. Their reaction was to block me.
I‘m not sure they would like my feedback on their forum.

Fuck them, they‘re full of shit.
I'm sure it wasn't NDSP that blocked you. The discord mods are trash and I wouldn't be surprised if same could be said for FB.

I checked the NC discussion on discord and already saw a mod threatening to boot someone just because they said they didn't think the was a device many wanted.

I checked the NC discussion on discord and already saw a mod threatening to boot someone just because they said they didn't think the was a device many wanted.
It was actually two of them, not just one. RexRemus, and FunWDirt.

All the user said was this:
1728418890421.png

And in response?
1728418913420.png

1728418929986.png

Absolutely disgusting behaviour. I would be FUMING with anger if I had such half-assed amateur children representing me publicly.... and again, that is ME saying that.... and I'm a fucking edgelord!!!

These guys... man... these guys.....

Last edited:
Received mine. So far I'm liking it a lot. Still didn't have time to make my captures.

But I've noticed that I'm not able to make it listen to external midi PC messages to change presets. The manual says it can receive midi messages via usb and TRS... But I've tried both normal usb midi interfaces (not usb host ones) and also USB host devices (doremidi and m-vave chocolate, that both work with any other pedals I've tried). Nothing.

Anyone tried it?

EDIT: it perfectly receives midi over usb from my cellphone... So now I'm intrigued, since my two midi usb-host interfaces should also work, then.

Last edited:
Man, sure is a lot of hate for the Nano and the company being said by folks that don't own the product. You can call me a happy idiot. I don't GARA but I'm satisfied with the Nano Cortex and it will do the job I need it to and it doesn't even need updates to get me over a "buyer's remorse hill" - though certainly it would be appreciated. I believe I've contributed to and received enough in return from this string so that I can move on, but one can look for my captures soon in the cloud under the moniker Garflips. Cheers!

Back