Neural DSP Nano Cortex

FWIW I can’t tell any difference in latency between Fractal, Quad Cortex, Helix, or Boss. I’m guessing my latency threshold is at least 5ms to notice. Also I’m using wireless too so that adds a couple more ms.

I did notice latency trying to use the QC as an interface for Neural plugins which went away just using my MOTU by itself.

I did notice latency trying to use the QC as an interface for Neural plugins which went away just using my MOTU by itself.
Did you use the wireless in this scenario as well? I find that I start to notice if I go wireless + audio interface, whereas wireless + modeler is usually fine.

Since that would be immensely useful.

It's been noted in a few videos that the presets on the Nano are just that - a preset. Set it up beforehand and that's what you get.

Unless you're doing Mustang Sally gigs at the local watering hole I honestly don't think the Nano should be looked at as a live
performance 'system'.

It's a capture device and audio interface that has some nice extra bells and whistles on it that could certainly get SOME guitarist by as a live rig.

Was just thinking there's a whole lotta Karen-ing going on in this thread.....

"No 16 different flavors of delay?!?! I'd like to speak to Neural's manager!."

:rofl

Cool noir glamour shot.

1727095318491.png

Was just thinking there's a whole lotta Karen-ing going on in this thread.....

"No 16 different flavors of delay?!?! I'd like to speak to Neural's manager!."

Cool noir glamour shot.

View attachment 29115

Don’t think I’ve seen a single person complain about the lack of multiple effects types, just the inability to use the available effects efficiently.

Pop Art Smile GIF by Xinanimodelacra

If they were half as competent at programming these things as they were taking pretty pictures, there’d be a fuckton less distaste for them.

Sorry, but this thing is overpriced and underwhelming.....i could buy 2-3 devices right now with more functionality and controls...I just don't understand why someone would die on THIS hill ....

If it was 400, even 449usd, it may be easier to handle.....but why wouldn't someone just buy a decent laptop and an interface if this is the function they want ....you would get more out of it ....for longer.

It's an over priced paperweight....until they bring more functionality in a future fw update....and you know they will.

Glad those that like it do, but there is nothing wrong with being critical of a device, from a company that has traded in on a lot of customers good will already.

Just my opinion, and that doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Did you use the wireless in this scenario as well? I find that I start to notice if I go wireless + audio interface, whereas wireless + modeler is usually fine.

Yeah, wireless + QC as interface had latency, wireless + MOTU was fine. I think part of it was using QC input and MOTU output, but no big deal.

Don’t think I’ve seen a single person complain about the lack of multiple effects types, just the inability to use the available effects efficiently.
I'll complain about that. While I don't think it needs "16 delays", I think it needs more than one for each effect type. To me this needs to be something more like:

Pre-fx:
  • Gate available no matter what.
  • Transpose.
  • Wah.
    • This is unlikely to eat much CPU, and could be autowah or expression controlled.
  • Compressor or Drive
    • Small, popular selection of ~5-6 guitar + bass drives and fuzz.
    • A couple of compressor options, say Dynacomp and "studio" compressor.
  • Now, NDSP has already painted themselves in the corner with the pre-fx being two slots for Gate + Transpose, but I think they could move these features to the app and open up those slots for wah and drive. Or make them Transpose/Wah + Comp/Drive.

Modulation
  • Chorus
  • Flanger
  • Phaser
  • Tremolo
Delay:
  • Analog
  • Digital
  • Tape
  • Reverse
Reverb:
  • Spring
  • Plate
  • Room
  • Hall

Remember, this box is only 84 € cheaper than the HX Stomp, and 398 € more expensive than a Tonex One. I just can't see the value without making its feature set better. The capture making functionality does not count because 99% of users will never use it.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

There's something wrong with attaching a disclaimer to your critique though.
IMO.
I disagree, but that's ok.

I believe that there is a credit system that exists between an entity and purchasers, and some companies abuse this. Headrush, Neural, and even companies like Atomic ...are excellent examples.

There are also companies that don't abuse this, but they are rare. Sorry if my disclaimer wasn't to your taste, I just believe context is key.

And there's that deep underlying disdain for the company I just mentioned in another post. :grin:grin:grin:grin

You guys just can't help yourselves!

I've been a massive defender of the QC and I'm not a fan of the Nano. I think it's poorly thought out and a miss considering what it could have been with a little bit of tweaking. Doesn't mean it isn't good for some people, but I was expecting something that could really have taken over the segment, but don't see it happening.

I've been a massive defender of the QC and I'm not a fan of the Nano. I think it's poorly thought out and a miss considering what it could have been with a little bit of tweaking. Doesn't mean it isn't good for some people, but I was expecting something that could really have taken over the segment, but don't see it happening.
d2-soon.gif

I disagree, but that's ok.

I believe that there is a credit system that exists between an entity and purchasers, and some companies abuse this. Headrush, Neural, and even companies like Atomic ...are excellent examples.

There are also companies that don't abuse this, but they are rare. Sorry if my disclaimer wasn't to your taste, I just believe context is key.

Point being that I can't believe you are judging the product on its own merits since your vocal about disliking the company.
Nothing personal, but it makes your product comments translate into blah blah blah inside my brain.

Remember, this box is only 84 € cheaper than the HX Stomp, and 398 € more expensive than a Tonex One.
And they are both lacking major features than the Nano has, so 6 of one - a half dozen of the other.
The capture functionality does not count because 99% of users will never use it.
Did you type this by accident or do you REALLY believe this?

Back