NDSP Quad Cortex

It's mostly just a portion of the FAS user base that feels threatened by NDSP
I mean, that has nothing to do with me so why are you even bringing it up? This all got started when I was contemplating buying a unit, and then remembered all of the annoying shit I had to deal with the first time round. This simultaneously while I was contemplating selling my Axe FX III at the same time. So.... how does that factor into your equation?

Or maybe you're talking out of your severely damaged ring piece?

I mean, that has nothing to do with me so why are you even bringing it up?

That was not directed at you.

Also, this is mostly just all fun and games and I could give a flying fuck about any of it.
Sometimes things just need to be said though.

You want to read the absolute worst reviews about every single aspect of NDSP?
Find a message board heavily populated with Fractal users.

That's a FACT. Everyone outside of the Fractal bubble knows it.

Last edited:
View attachment 28497

When I read stuff like this, and it only being 9 months ago, that really really REALLY puts me off buying another one.

Sod it... I'm just gonna stick with my amps and Axe3. Probably build out the single stomps collection again.
Statistically, current gen Fractal has honestly been the least reliable for me out of all modelers I've owned.

I had situations where my FM3 would boot and have no audio or garbled, low volume audio. Sometimes I had a footswitch fail where it would no longer display or do anything. Had these problems around 2021 when I bought the unit. But Fractal fixed all this stuff with firmware updates, so nowadays I'd trust it just fine. Still, major issues a couple of years after release.

I managed to make my Axe-Fx 3 crash the first week when I bought one in 2022. That was the only time though, I think it was related to scrolling presets or amp models too fast in the onboard UI and again was fixed in a fw update.

Helix Floor, managed to crash it once or twice.

I'm not saying this to defend the QC. I'm saying other brands aren't foolproof either.

We are talking about a few incidents over several years of use so ultimately it doesn't matter. I'd be worrying if these units were failing left and right and there certainly seem to be more QCs going back for repairs out there. But this can also be a case of a lot of QCs being sold.

It sucks if a modeler fails out of the blue and it isn't something you can solve by just rebooting the unit. I see this as the same thing as tube amp reliability. Something blows up out of the blue, and you use whatever backup you have prepared.

I'd still be interested to try that rumored Nano Cortex, unless it's something like the Tonex One.

100% correct. It's mostly just a portion of the FAS user base that feels threatened by NDSP so they have to run around with their hair on fire
screaming about awful power supplies and terrible touch screens.

It was annoying the first year or so. Now it's just ridiculously hilarious.

Keeps going and it'll enter the pathetic stage pretty soon.
Admitting it is the first step :grin

100% correct. It's mostly just a portion of the FAS user base that feels threatened by NDSP so they have to run around with their hair on fire
screaming about awful power supplies and terrible touch screens.

It was annoying the first year or so. Now it's just ridiculously hilarious.

Keeps going and it'll enter the pathetic stage pretty soon.

You don’t honestly think the complaints about the power supply were all FAS users who felt threatened do you?

The company told us they were researching better power supply options and started suggesting people use a Cioks in the mean time.

Why would the company make statements like that if it was just some FAS users feeling threatened?

When I tried a QC I tried it next to an AxeFX, an HX Stomp, and a Kemper Stage. All plugged into the exact same outlet, sitting in the exact same location, using the same guitar and cables, using the same speaker, and the noise floor on the QC was significantly higher than all the others.

Regardless, if you tried it in the past and had some significant issues integrating it into your setup, yeah I'd think those issues would persist as I haven't heard of any fixes specifically addressing them. I also don't follow it that closely so they could have addressed them I guess.
I’ve had hum/ground issues with many setups that didn’t include the QC. QC is not better or worse…People blame it on the powersupply..I can’t wrap my mind around that…a 2 prone supply doesnt ground, no matter if it’s good or bad.

Incidents where there was a severe hum in the QC…well…take into account the number of people that use them successfully with full gig calendars. The hardware doesn’t seem prime suspect for an incident to me…

You don’t honestly think the complaints about the power supply were all FAS users who felt threatened do you?
Of course not. And you know that so I'm not sure why you asked.

The company told us they were researching better power supply options and started suggesting people use a Cioks in the mean time.
Yes, that was within the first few months out of the gate when the grumblings were loudest.
Then what happened? The issue fell by the wayside because they knew it was a good PS and the rumbling went away.

IF THE PS WAS TRULY A QC ISSUE THE MANUFACTURER WOULD HAVE BEGUN REPLACING IT ASAP.

They didn't and the unit still sells like hot cakes. Checked Reverb yesterday and there was only 8 used ones listed.
This would not be the case if there was an issue with the PS. Plain and simple. Same goes for the screen.

This is really cool.

Tbh Orv, I think you would genuinely enjoy RD2 with the QC. However, I fail to see how you would necessarily gain anything given your current situation with the Axe III.

I know I brought up you trying the QC again but thinking more on it, not sure how much it would add or change your current situation

Tbh Orv, I think you would genuinely enjoy RD2 with the QC. However, I fail to see how you would necessarily gain anything given your current situation with the Axe III.

I know I brought up you trying the QC again but thinking more on it, not sure how much it would add or change your current situation
I'm slightly buying into the workflow hype, I guess that is what it is.

Statistically, current gen Fractal has honestly been the least reliable for me out of all modelers I've owned.

I had situations where my FM3 would boot and have no audio or garbled, low volume audio. Sometimes I had a footswitch fail where it would no longer display or do anything. Had these problems around 2021 when I bought the unit. But Fractal fixed all this stuff with firmware updates, so nowadays I'd trust it just fine. Still, major issues a couple of years after release.

I managed to make my Axe-Fx 3 crash the first week when I bought one in 2022. That was the only time though, I think it was related to scrolling presets or amp models too fast in the onboard UI and again was fixed in a fw update.

Helix Floor, managed to crash it once or twice.

I'm not saying this to defend the QC. I'm saying other brands aren't foolproof either.

We are talking about a few incidents over several years of use so ultimately it doesn't matter. I'd be worrying if these units were failing left and right and there certainly seem to be more QCs going back for repairs out there. But this can also be a case of a lot of QCs being sold.

It sucks if a modeler fails out of the blue and it isn't something you can solve by just rebooting the unit. I see this as the same thing as tube amp reliability. Something blows up out of the blue, and you use whatever backup you have prepared.

I'd still be interested to try that rumored Nano Cortex, unless it's something like the Tonex One.
Yep I will buy the Nano if it comes out even if it can’t do the plug-in stuff or make captures
If they get a similar GUI
Can load captures and has the same amps fx for $1000
I would be in

ToneX capture loader w no screen and IOS editor unless its was like $300 /400 that’s a pass

Maybe I misunderstand….afaik..those are triggered by “hold” instead of double taps.

Only double tap I’m aware of is on/off of blocks from the mainstreen….or did I miss a bunch of functionality still ?:)
There are no double taps. But there are cases where you need to tap once to close, for instance, an effect’s editing window before you can tap on a control outside that window, despite that control being visible. This can result in that “tap… nada… tap… ok” feeling, even though it’s working as specified. It’s a software design issue rather than a hardware “screen sucks” issue.

Atari_2600_Plus.png

:rofl
But I loved this UI… ahem, UI/UX.

Bit late to this argument but the screen experience was improved in one update after they adjusted some sensitivity and hit box parameters etc.

The biggest issue I had with the screen was trying to hit a tiny UI element when looking at it at an angle. It would also often feel sluggish like last year's iPhone. It's not bad but not great either.

Back