NBD: Onward Into Battle

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
For those who haven't followed the Fever Dream thread, I'm starting a new band where (for the first time ever), I'll be playing bass and singing. As we all know, this is not just a perfect excuse to buy new gear - it's almost a mandate.

Once the die was cast, I went straight to Solar-Guitars.com to buy this puppy. I'd been eyeballing it for awhile and often considered selling my other Solar bass to pay for this one. Thankfully I'd just sold some other gear and was coming in way under budget in assembling a new bass rig.

As with all the Solars I've bought so far, it still blows me away how fast they make it from Spain to my front porch in MN. Got my order confirmation Wednesday afternoon and the bass was here yesterday (Friday).

0CQxuju_d.jpg

The delivery timing was absolutely perfect too. I'd just gotten home with the new bass head I bought (will post a separate thread for the bass rig later) and taken it and one of the cabs downstairs. Was walking up the stairs and thought "Now I just need the bass" and looked up as UPS was setting it down on my front porch.

Obviously didn't waste any time opening the box and was pretty instantly in awe.

What floored me was the hardware. In the picture on the Solar site it just looks like silver or pewter hardware. Oh no, it's so much cooler...

AcMwD3n.jpg

It's a little hard to capture in the pictures, but it has this weathered/battle worn look to it, as if it was forged from old suits of armor or weapons.

jucbZm9.jpg

SkLNLcO.jpg

What really pulls that imagery together is the body itself. It has raised grain that immediately made me think I was looking at the front of an old, weathered Viking shield.

4OP2KA8.jpg

Again, not super easy to catch the effect in pictures... at least not for a photo-taking hack like me.

uwQevkp.jpg

Then, of course I started looking at the little details. Unlike the green A2.7 I just got, this one clearly went through normal Solar QC. It was detuned as one would expect for shipping, but otherwise flawless. The neck is smooth and wicked fast, no dead notes on the board, the pups rip just as much as my black Solar. It has that "playing this makes me smile uncontrollably" vibe going on for sure. I do need to condition the fretboard, and might lower the action a hint, but that's normal.

lxO4zLu.jpg

DBTmDan.jpg

If ever there was a bass for my band Red VVinter, this is it. :headbang

And, for anyone interested in a Solar, they have the summer sale going right now with some really good deals. I had to slowly back away from the sale page so I didn't spend my mortgage and car payment on more guitars... :rofl

I wonder if those Tone/Vol Knobs are sold separately, Def would like to buy those :chef
I haven't found Solar hardware or pups sold anywhere aside from secondhand so far. But, I bet you could find similar knobs from someone. Funny thing about it is I was prepared to swap the hardware with the black stuff on my other bass. One look at this and that idea died a rapid death.

@Iron1 just mucking around with a graphic of another genocide series strap from the past on brown suede.
This is something I could do, similar... if this is what you are thinking, but smooth black leather, and probably not
white stitching. Don't ask for red stitching, I have some red thread here but it's a brand really awful to work with.
I think it's spooled backwards or something, it's just a fight every time I try to use it. Tangles and such.

What I would do is one of these, usually one works better than the other

1. Dye the skull leather bright red, clearcoat. Then, rub black paint inside all the crannies and wipe off the top stuff quick.
or, (which usually comes out more intense and sharper, probably more like the photoshop below)
2 dye black, mix up a dark red paint, and lightly touch the tops of the emboss with super-careful brushing.

custom genocide.jpg

@Iron1 just mucking around with a graphic of another genocide series strap from the past on brown suede.
This is something I could do, similar... if this is what you are thinking, but smooth black leather, and probably not
white stitching. Don't ask for red stitching, I have some red thread here but it's a brand really awful to work with.
I think it's spooled backwards or something, it's just a fight every time I try to use it. Tangles and such.

What I would do is one of these, usually one works better than the other

1. Dye the skull leather bright red, clearcoat. Then, rub black paint inside all the crannies and wipe off the top stuff quick.
or, (which usually comes out more intense and sharper, probably more like the photoshop below)
2 dye black, mix up a dark red paint, and lightly touch the tops of the emboss with super-careful brushing.

View attachment 19367
Needs more skulls.

@FuzzyAce getting into genuine exotic hides is something no I no longer do.
Too mush risk of confiscation across borders (I'm in Canada). Customs people have too much power and too little knowledge, and I'm not keen on jail time or large fines. I will happily craft straps out of gator embossed cowhide or vinyl. The one on my Paul was a one-off project... I think it was a Caiman hide not alligator or croc, and it was sent to me from a friend from inside Canada. No idea how he acquired it... they don't live up here LOL!

Uou can look there are makers who specialize in actual croc or python but as you might expect they can be costly.

I have these reptile embossed leathers in stock right now

ltIZ0bP1_o.jpg

And I have the green below, a bit of the wine, and a bit of the same in gloss black too. No saddle brown left sadly.

xlaFOZ00_o.jpg

Last edited:
@FuzzyAce getting into genuine exotic hides is something no I no longer do.
Too mush risk of confiscation across borders (I'm in Canada). Customs people have too much power and too little knowledge, and I'm not keen on jail time or large fines. I will make happily straps out of gator embossed cowhide or vinyl. The one on my Paul was a one-off project... I think it was a Caiman hide not alligator or croc, and it was sent to me from a friend from inside Canada. No idea how he acquired it.

If you look there are makers who specialize in actual croc or python but as you might expect they can be costly.

I have these reptile embossed leathers in stock right now

ltIZ0bP1_o.jpg

And I have the green below, a bit of the wine, and a bit of the same in gloss black too.
No saddle brown, sadly.

xlaFOZ00_o.jpg
Yeah it was more the look that intrigued me not that it has to be genuine gator. Thanks for the info!

I have some grey/silver thread, here but honestly it's kind of the same as the red. I usually only use it for when I use Fender amp grill in a strap, otherwise no. I do have nice white thread
which ends up looking grey or off white pretty fast, actually.

You may be able to dye that strap darker closer to the guitar with some diluted black dye, and dabbing it with a sponge... careful,
depending on what it's made of.

Tell you what! Send that strap to me I'll re-dye it darker, and mount it to padded black leather at 3" wide for you.
Might be cheaper just to buy another on Amazon and have it drop shipped to me.

I've done this several times. Guys who get it done end up with a prized "forever" strap and it's only around $100 to get it done. Maybe you like that aircell though

Last edited:
I have some grey/ilver thread, here but honestly it's kind of the same as the red. I usually
only use it for when I use Fender amp grill in a strap, otherwise no. I do have nice white thread
which ends up looking grey or off white pretty fast, actually. You may be able to dye that strap
darker closer to the guitar with some diluted black dye, and dabbing it with a sponge careful,
depending on what it's made of.

Tell you what! Send that strap to me I'll re-dye it darker, and mount it to padded black leather at 3" wide for you.
Might be cheaper just to buy another on Amazon and have it drop shipped o me.

I've done this several times. Guys who get it done end up with a prized "forever" strap and
it's only around $100 to get it done. Maybe you like that aircell though
Ok let me see if I can find one to ship to you. The Aircell is comfortable, but not as comfortable as the one you made me that’s on my Doom Machine.

Back