A full heavy rock song featuring some modeled JCM800 goodness

ivanmancic

Hi guys,

I just released a new song and would like you to hear it, and hopefully get some feedback on the song/sound.
I used an ML Sound ML800 2.0 for main rhythm track (OwnHammer RockBox M25 and V30) , some AC30 Tonex profiles for additional guitars in the chorus and a DI bass through Fabfilter Saturn, which is my go-to for bass.
Hope you like it :)

I hate to admit it as a guitar player, but bass is just as important for a good sound.
In this case it is a 35" Schecter with EMG PJ set, plus the Saturn which is so easy to dial in.

I hate to admit it as a guitar player, but bass is just as important for a good sound.
In this case it is a 35" Schecter with EMG PJ set, plus the Saturn which is so easy to dial in.
I like the song. It sounds a bit like Alicen In Chains to me.

I would argue that the Bass is the most important instrument. I didn't used to think that way but over the years I have landed there on the thought. You can take a song and change nothing but the Bass line and it will change the whole feel of the song. I am not sure any other instrument in the band has that much of an effect on things. I can really appreciate a good drummer and their influence on the song but I think the Bass edges them out. This is coming from a guy who has been mainly a guitar player since I was about 9.

As a side note, I would also say that good Bass players hear things differently than us guitar players. I have been greatly influenced by a couple from my past. They clued me in on things to listen to in a band context and things to play off of that made me a better guitar player.

I second what others here have said.. OP video sounds like an AiC song, but without Jerry's guitar tone.

To me, that's an easy fix.

Blend & pan a couple of amps to get that AiC crunch happening.

For the new song I wanted to go for an aggressive tone with less gain, but in retrospect that might not have been the best decision or what suits the sound the most.

Thanks guys, it means a lot!
Vocals are probably most fun part of songwriting for me, especially when I get to the point of doing harmonies. Experimenting with different lines above and below original vocal line feels real good when I hit a spicy sounding one and the whole song comes alive.

Back