Boomy A string problem. What’s going on?

metropolis_4

Shredder
I just picked up my bass for the first time in a week and noticed all notes on the A string sound boomy, almost like the note is feeding back. It’s like the sound when a note on an acoustic is about to feedback.

That one string is also a little buzzy.

The other strings all sound fine, and the same notes on other strings sound fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I just picked up my bass for the first time in a week and noticed all notes on the A string sound boomy, almost like the note is feeding back. It’s like the sound when a note on an acoustic is about to feedback.

That one string is also a little buzzy.

The other strings all sound fine, and the same notes on other strings sound fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Both pickups? Something lose in the bridge or saddle?

Both pickups. I didn’t notice anything in the bridge or saddle, but I’m going to try loosening the string to slack and re-seating the saddle to make sure.
Check the nut slot for the A string as well. I can’t help but think it’s some kind of sympathetic vibration going on.

Check the nut slot for the A string as well. I can’t help but think it’s some kind of sympathetic vibration going on.

It sounds like a sympathetic vibration, I just can’t figure out where it could be coming from.

Off to buy a new set of strings today and I’m going to thoroughly check the bridge and saddles

I took everything apart, checked the bridge screws, nut, and tuners, reset the saddle, and made some adjustments to the truss rod and string heights.

I still hear a little bit of something, but it’s much better now.

I’m wondering if something in the string is getting amplified somehow by the bridge?

I’ve got a new set of strings on the way. Going to see if changing them gets me anywhere

Last edited:
@Alex Kenivel had something similar on a guitar a few months ago. :idk
And I still have it. It's like a pinkiniess that I can't seem to get rid of. First it was a plinky D and then after messing around with things the problem seemed to have jumped to the A string. I've swapped to the stock Saddles and back after I've determined that wasn't the issue, put some nickel wound strings on instead of my usual steel strings and now my issue jumps to my E string! In all honesty it feels like a g-string with too much tension in my ass. It's a $2,000 Ibby Prestige and half the time I don't want to play it because of this one issue. I only say half the time because that half the time I want to play high gain and that's when you really hear it.

Sorry for the rant, Met. Know a good tech?

And I still have it. It's like a pinkiniess that I can't seem to get rid of. First it was a plinky D and then after messing around with things the problem seemed to have jumped to the A string. I've swapped to the stock Saddles and back after I've determined that wasn't the issue, put some nickel wound strings on instead of my usual steel strings and now my issue jumps to my E string! In all honesty it feels like a g-string with too much tension in my ass. It's a $2,000 Ibby Prestige and half the time I don't want to play it because of this one issue. I only say half the time because that half the time I want to play high gain and that's when you really hear it.

Sorry for the rant, Met. Know a good tech?

I’ve got a new set of strings coming today. If that doesn’t get rid of it taking it to a tech will probably be my next move.

There’s nothing worse than these kind of vibration issues in guitars

Make sure the action has not dropped on that one string. Yes this happens with vibration over time. This would do it.

Back