NBD: Doom Machine Edition

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
After a meandering mental trail of random craziness no one wants to hear about, I decided I needed (not wanted, needed) an Explorer shaped bass. Took me awhile to determine what I wanted, and I finally settled on either an Ibanez Destroyer or a Fernandes Function. Since neither are exactly run of the mill, it took a hot minute to find one that got my motor revving, but I stumbled across this gorgeous thing on the 'Bay, listed for sale in Japan.

After hemming and hawing a few days, then getting my paycheck, I pulled the trigger.

It took about 10 days to get here, but finally arrived this morning.

While I absolutely love my Solar A2.4 Canibalismo, that sucker is heavy (large mahogany body sounds killer, weighs a ton). I heard from many bass players how comfortable the Explorer body is, and now I can agree with them.

CDxrugS.jpg

What makes this tale compelling is two details:

One, the Well Hung strap I got from @TVvoodoo thanks to @LiveeviL2000 - it looks like the strap was custom made specifically for this bass:

PClp0lu.jpg

And secondly, I happened to stumble onto a smoking deal on an Epiphone Explorer 6-string yesterday, so now I have matching black/gold Explorers.

SmnWWCD.jpg

Now, off to shake the earth.

Or impale it with this headstock:

5NTuhVq.jpg

Guys over at Talkbass refer to this as "The Ultimate Metal Bass". I'm beginning to see why.

Last edited:
Got most of the chips covered with nail polish, did a slight tweak on the truss rod and dialed in a fat preset for my Stomp. Now, as I'm dying to take it to band practice, I found out our drummer is going on a vacation for 10 days. Gah!

Meanwhile, the Epiphone Explorer is likely going bye-bye. Don't really gel with it, has too much neck dive and honestly a guitar needs to wow me to make me want to keep it right now when I already have like six 6-strings. 🤣

Damn dude, double score!!!

Gonna have to do a group shot soon, I can't even remember what you've taken in in the last year!

After a meandering mental trail of random craziness no one wants to hear about, I decided I needed (not wanted, needed) an Explorer shaped bass. Took me awhile to determine what I wanted, and I finally settled on either an Ibanez Destroyer or a Fernandes Function. Since neither are exactly run of the mill, it took a hot minute to find one that got my motor revving, but I stumbled across this gorgeous thing on the 'Bay, listed for sale in Japan.

After hemming and hawing a few days, then getting my paycheck, I pulled the trigger.

It took about 10 days to get here, but finally arrived this morning.

While I absolutely love my Solar A2.4 Canibalismo, that sucker is heavy (large mahogany body sounds killer, weighs a ton). I heard from many bass players how comfortable the Explorer body is, and now I can agree with them.

CDxrugS.jpg

What makes this tale compelling is two details:

One, the Well Hung strap I got from @TVvoodoo thanks to @LiveeviL2000 - it looks like the strap was custom made specifically for this bass:

PClp0lu.jpg

And secondly, I happened to stumble onto a smoking deal on an Epiphone Explorer 6-string yesterday, so now I have matching black/gold Explorers.

SmnWWCD.jpg

Now, off to shake the earth.

Or impale it with this headstock:

5NTuhVq.jpg

Guys over at Talkbass refer to this as "The Ultimate Metal Bass". I'm beginning to see why.
Nice, that's the $h!+

Used it at practice yesterday for the first time and yeah... my other basses gonna get jealous cause they ain't getting the love anymore.

Back