NADs- Tubestack edition!

Ok, got some time in with it.

I dunno if I’’ll be flipping this. :rofl

Before I figured out the whole Gain Trim situation I was less than impressed. I had the Volume dimed with the Master down, wondering “Where the hell is all the gain?!“ Then I hit that switch and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now I see!

This is actually everything I was hoping the Shiva would deliver. I can see what @la szum is saying with the similarities, but the gain structure and feel are definitely different. This is so much more immediate than the Shiva and cleans up a HELLUVALOT better, but the Shiva also has more gain going on. Maybe I’ll change my opinion on some of that stuff after I get the chance to crank the shit out of it at work. I’m REALLY anxious to do that with this amp, because I know you gotta crank it to get it singing.

This really seems to hit that Plexi thing I was going for, which is funny, because I found a post from myself saying something in JT’s ED thread about how I wasn’t interested in high gain amps at the time and wanted something Plexi-ish/pedal platform. Well, that’s definitely this. Hahahahha I also saw this in the thread I made for it when the guy was selling it for $1000-

Well, I found out!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Sweet! :beer

That's a deal of a lifetime there. :love

Did you use the same cab/speakers for comparisons?

They are different amps for sure, just always struck me
how eerily close they also were. Both were too ass heavy
and dark with humbuckers in a 2 guitar band--for me. :idk
Just more of that low-mid emphasis and not that upper-mid
bark and bite that I crave in a 2 guitar band. I can definitely
vibe with how massive they are solo'd in a one guitar band.
Just not a fan of too much girth when trying to slice through
a mix. But trio setting... and a Strat... hell to the yeah! :chef

Funny how you ended up with 3 new amps without really looking
or trying too hard. Letting the Universe decide and help you out. :beer

Sweet! :beer

That's a deal of a lifetime there. :love

Did you use the same cab/speakers for comparisons?

They are different amps for sure, just always struck me
how eerily close they also were. Both were too ass heavy
and dark with humbuckers in a 2 guitar band--for me. :idk
Just more of that low-mid emphasis and not that upper-mid
bark and bite that I crave in a 2 guitar band. I can definitely
vibe with how massive they are solo'd in a one guitar band.
Just not a fan of too much girth when trying to slice through
a mix. But trio setting... and a Strat... hell to the yeah! :chef

Funny how you ended up with 3 new amps without really looking
or trying too hard. Letting the Universe decide and help you out. :beer

Yep, tried it through both the Retro 30 cab and the EVH cab. I won’t even plug the Mesa/C90 cab in in my apartment, that’s just asking for a noise complaint. :rofl

I can definitely hear where it could get dark and I did have to crank the Presence and Treble a bit to get it where I wanted to hear it, but I’m expecting to hear some fairly different results when cranking the shit out of it later.

Now the only amp I actually WANT is some kind of Mark, whether that’s a IV, V, VII or a JPIIC+, I dunno yet. Of course, if I get my hands on a pile of cash it’d just be a IIC++, the real deal!

Oh lordy, I knew this Dover was going to do magic stuff in front of this amp. I absolutely cannot wait to hear this cranked the hell up tonight. Lovepedal Multitap in the loop.

Man, I’m really digging the Dover Drive. You gave a few of them right? Ever consider sending one to @FractalAudio to model?

Man, I’m really digging the Dover Drive. You gave a few of them right? Ever consider sending one to @FractalAudio to model?

I got tree.

I’d love to have them in the Fractal, I certainly can’t recreate them in it. I dunno if there’s too much fuzz in them to pull it off or not. Hahahah I‘d buy another Germanium Dover to send, there’s no way in hell the one I have is ever leaving me, unless EJ gave me one of his own Fuzz Faces. :rofl And one he actually likes. I really need to buy as many of those as I can, I never want to not have one. Ever.

I’m sure there’s a million other requests that would take precedence, but I’d be happy to supply one!

Does it have germanium diodes or transistors? Which one does the best EJ?

Transistors, I believe. The Germanium gets far, far closer to 89-96 EJ, the regular/OG Dover is much closer to his tones in the last 20 years, a bit drier and not as fuzzed out. These are pretty dependent on the amp they're in front of, I was not getting the same results with the Shiva or the DRRI.

In the vid above I'm going into the Blue mode of the ED, there's a bit of hair on the tone by itself already.

Well, there goes my plans for the night.

Went to pull a 2x12 off the other one, something went “Uh oh!” in my shoulder and now I can’t lift my right arm without feeling like the muscles are tearing themself off my bones. I jumped in the shower and put heat on it right away, thinking the whole time that when I got out I‘d be fine. Reaching for the towel proved otherwise.

I’m glad the Pantera show is seated tomorrow night. Sunday I’m supposed to go to the park and get some throws in because Monday night is my first disc golf game in the league I joined. This is all awesome. :rofl

Transistors, I believe. The Germanium gets far, far closer to 89-96 EJ, the regular/OG Dover is much closer to his tones in the last 20 years, a bit drier and not as fuzzed out. These are pretty dependent on the amp they're in front of, I was not getting the same results with the Shiva or the DRRI.

In the vid above I'm going into the Blue mode of the ED, there's a bit of hair on the tone by itself already.
According to a schematic, the OG has a single 1N34A.

I found a white Dover Drive that uses a OC42 Germanium transistor, but it’s not the black one. Not sure what’s inside that one.

Better example of the sound, same shitty playing.

Sounds great! Kind of similar to what I get using the Keeley Fuzz Head into the blue channel, except mine is bit less gain-y and I'm using humbuckers (LP or 594).

The blue channel takes drive pedals REALLY well (and so does the clean, and even the red channel). But blue + pedal boost is magic.

I’m really contemplating how much I’m actually going to use the Shiva at this point. The ED covers all the non-metal ground I want to cover and takes pedals so well that it’s just a ridiculous platform for anything you throw at it. I’ve been geeking out on the Blue/Red channels so much I haven’t even played with the clean outside of when I first turned it on.

I tried it with the C90 cab, I did not enjoy that a single bit. That lasted about 15 seconds. Maybe at ear bleed volume in a band it would make for a good “I need to be heard” cab. Unsurprisingly, it sounds great with the EVH cab and plugging into both the EVH and Retro 30 cab together sounds great.

I think I’d rather that Bogner turn into a Mark IV or JPIIC+. :unsure:

@la szum has that one, I do believe. I missed out on that sale!

The black one is the magic one.

I'd contend they are all variations of great. :idk Nothing I have come across does the Dover Drive thing.
No amp. No pedal. No amp or pedal combination.

The OC42 is super cool.... a little crisper and not as fat/wooly as the Black GE (OC76?) or the OG DD. There's
another in the wild, too--a BC178?? I had that one and sold it, since redundant is redundant. Probably should
look to get it back.

How ya feeling today? Bummer about the shoulder and death by 2 x 12. :hugitout

The 178 is the other one I have (and an OG build), if you’re not a Dover fanatic I’d skip it, very similar to the OG. Ya know, I’ll plug it in and try it with the amp, there’s some stuff I’m hearing differences in I hadn’t heard before. That LP/HP switch on the OCD was negligible before plugging it into this amp for how I was using it.

My shoulder is jacked. I can lift it straight out to my side just fine, but moving it forward or backward is asking for the wind partially knocked out of me with from that pain along my shoulder blade. For some reason, when I feel intense pain, I laugh. I’m certainly not laughing inside, but my outward reaction is to laugh, I went to put a guitar on and it was like “OH!! hahahahaha OH! hahahahahahhha AHHHH! hahah OH FUCK ME! ahahahahahah”

Both my neighbors were gone for a while so I got it loud enough to rattle the stuff on my walls for about 15 minutes…..so….that master was on like 1.1 :rofl

Back