NAD: MESA/Boogie Mark VII

It seemed like they were trying to address complaints but choosing fat and crunch to duplicate was kind of a bizarre decision

Someone in YT comments called it the “Mark amp for boomers” or something like that… :rofl .

Which, I can see their point. I’m not a boomer (Gen X), but it appeals to me and seems to have less of a metal focus and more rock/classic rock, maybe?

Last edited:
I’m a midiot so not exactly sure how it might work in your use case but the m-vave chocolate is dirt cheap and works great with my stomp. Gives you 4 extra buttons and can do like long press for an additional 4 functions as well. I don’t know how the stomp works for sending midi controls to other devices so not entirely sure how daisy chaining commands might work?

If you went that route I can tell you to use with stomp you specifically need: the boss midi to 1/8” cable (afaik most of the random Amazon ones won’t work) as well as an 1/8” to midi TRS adaptor tip

I went with the Ampero Control, should be here today. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Angry Season 5 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Says I’m “damn crazy” then posts this ^^^ to a random stranger.

Someone on YT called it the “Mark amp for boomers” or something like that… :rofl .

Which, I can see their point. I’m not a boomer (Gen X), but it appeals to me and seems to have less of a metal focus and more rock/classic rock, maybe?

The thing is Mark amps were never meant to be just metal amps, they were originally hot rodded Fender amps that were designed to be versatile tools that could cover everything. They were the tool for the working guitarist who never knew what they’d be called on to play and needed gear that could cover any situation.

They were adopted by many metal guitarists because they happened to sound good for that genre, just like they sound good for a hundred other genres.

Regarding footswitches/pedalboard: I tried to go old school last night and set the Mesa controller up with my Stomp on a PT Jr, but it's difficult to make it fit nicely. It's not as big as the V foot switch, more like the Rec, I think, with just 6 switches? But the huge end of the cable sticking out to the left of it doesn't help, either.

I think the Ampero Control should work out great, hopefully gets here later today (Amazon is pretty wild sometimes: order a specialized device at 7pm on a Sunday and have it at your door the next day, on a national holiday, at that).

And as far as enjoying the VII:

So far, I very quickly set up three sounds I love (Ch 1 Crunch, Ch 2 VII hi gain, Ch 3 IIB pushed clean) and have done nothing but play and enjoy those three sounds.

At most, I've experimented with the graphic EQ, wattage settings, using 4ohm out for 50W, and 4cm. I haven't even tried Clean, Fat, IIC, or IV yet! Been just playing and digging the first three sounds I set up. :love

Ok, I'm going to go with the Mesa footswitch + HX One in loop for at home. Ampero Control + Stomp in loop for gigging board, with wah + phase in front. Pick up a used TC Helicon Mic Mechanic (should not have sold that) to cover the vocal processing the Helix Floor was providing, and I should be good to go!

I kind of have been wishing I kept my replacement HX One instead of selling it when I got the stomp, I'm looking at all the pedals on my shelf and kind of want to build a secondary board now and the HX one would be perfect :LOL:

I've only heard the HX One noise tales 2nd hand. The Badlander is the quietest amp I have ever owned and it spoiled me something fierce compared to other amps as far as that goes.

I think it's worth pointing out I'm a mid-gain, crunch guy, with ZZ Eliminator or Sabbath being the highest gain levels I ever want. Also using these '73 T-Tops and not high output pickups, etc.

Zero chugs going on around here... :rofl

Back