NAD: MESA/Boogie Mark VII

I don't know anything about the old IIBs, but best I can describe this mode is Bassman-meets-VOX, to my ears?

So, so good for mid-gain stuff and REALLY gels with the old T-Tops in this Custom.

Ok, I don’t like the Helix Floor in 4cm with the VII. Adds a lot of noise and affects the feel. But I’m ready to switch it up pedalboard-wise, anyway.

Stomp in the loop is great, but I’m thinking it’s too small/limited in switches to act as a midi controller/channel switcher, too. Also needs an add-on to change its own presets.

Maybe go back to an HXFX and put it in the loop, not 4cm? Just keep a wah and phase in front. Keep the HXFX for post-effects and channel switching.

That or grab the new Fractal VP4 :love . How is it as a midi controller?

Also, will I need two switches to go between two channels on the VII, using midi? Or can a single switch toggle between two channels?

Thanks for any input.

I’m a midiot so not exactly sure how it might work in your use case but the m-vave chocolate is dirt cheap and works great with my stomp. Gives you 4 extra buttons and can do like long press for an additional 4 functions as well. I don’t know how the stomp works for sending midi controls to other devices so not entirely sure how daisy chaining commands might work?

If you went that route I can tell you to use with stomp you specifically need: the boss midi to 1/8” cable (afaik most of the random Amazon ones won’t work) as well as an 1/8” to midi TRS adaptor tip

Ok, I don’t like the Helix Floor in 4cm with the VII. Adds a lot of noise and affects the feel. But I’m ready to switch it up pedalboard-wise, anyway.

Stomp in the loop is great, but I’m thinking it’s too small/limited in switches to act as a midi controller/channel switcher, too. Also needs an add-on to change its own presets.

Maybe go back to an HXFX and put it in the loop, not 4cm? Just keep a wah and phase in front. Keep the HXFX for post-effects and channel switching.

That or grab the new Fractal VP4 :love . How is it as a midi controller?

Also, will I need two switches to go between two channels on the VII, using midi? Or can a single switch toggle between two channels?

Thanks for any input.
FWIW I've heard mixed things about the HX stuff 4CM with high gain amps. As you said, it adds a lot of noise. Same experience with me as well, those loops are extremely noisy. Kinda one of the reasons I've been wanting to jump back on the Fractal train, less noise with external gear and I miss the assortment of amps lol.

Also I remember all the poopoo about this amp because "oh it's just a Mark V whats the point?" when IMO the VII pretty much sounds better. Reminds me of the MkIV in ways while the V was more thin and anemic. Sound like they gave the VII more low end and scooped the mids a bit, the V was a bit too extreme in the mids to the point scooping them all out still made it a mid-heavy amp.

Also I remember all the poopoo about this amp because "oh it's just a Mark V whats the point?" when IMO the VII pretty much sounds better. Reminds me of the MkIV in ways while the V was more thin and anemic. Sound like they gave the VII more low end and scooped the mids a bit, the V was a bit too extreme in the mids to the point scooping them all out still made it a mid-heavy amp.

Angry Season 5 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Thin and anemic aren’t words I’d use to describe the V and I have one sitting right next to a IV. Both are awesome. I will agree that the V is more “processed” sounding but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. IV is a little more unruly. Possibly more aggressive but the V def has more gain

The V is also infinitely more consistent than the IV so it tends to see more gigs. I don’t have to hage a library of notes in my phone with titles like “Mark IV settings actual final #237” with the V lol

They’re all amazing tbough

Thin and anemic aren’t words I’d use to describe the V and I have one sitting right next to a IV. Both are awesome. I will agree that the V is more “processed” sounding but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. IV is a little more unruly. Possibly more aggressive but the V def has more gain

The V is also infinitely more consistent than the IV so it tends to see more gigs. I don’t have to hage a library of notes in my phone with titles like “Mark IV settings actual final #237” with the V lol

season 1 workout GIF by Fox TV

:LOL:

Jeez I wasn't saying the V was a thin and shit amp *period* like homeboy above thinks I am lol, I just think that yeah it's more tame of an amp compared to the IV and VII. If you like that, cool. I just like the slightly more scooped and gnarly sound of the IV/VII, and even moreso the MkIII. The V has it's fans and I'm just not one of them compared to the rest of the lineup, although I can def dial in a good sound from one if needed.

But hey if it makes people like @la szum angry and gets a reaction, then hell with it, the Mark V blows. What a shitty amp. lol

Just realized you are gonna still need to find an actual "living room" amp. :unsure:

Do you think you'll end trying to rehearse and gig with the VII? :idk

Just realized you are gonna still need to find an actual "living room" amp. :unsure:

Do you think you'll end trying to rehearse and gig with the VII? :idk

Well, that’s what I’m hoping, that the VII can be both living room amp and gig amp. Just take the head off the 1x12 and use it with the 2x12 or 4x12 with the band.

I mean, you thought it was okay to have a V90 combo for a living room amp… but not this? :grin

I’m a midiot so not exactly sure how it might work in your use case but the m-vave chocolate is dirt cheap and works great with my stomp. Gives you 4 extra buttons and can do like long press for an additional 4 functions as well. I don’t know how the stomp works for sending midi controls to other devices so not entirely sure how daisy chaining commands might work?

If you went that route I can tell you to use with stomp you specifically need: the boss midi to 1/8” cable (afaik most of the random Amazon ones won’t work) as well as an 1/8” to midi TRS adaptor tip

This is great advice and info! Thanks, will definitely check out the m-vave!

Jeez I wasn't saying the V was a thin and shit amp *period* like homeboy above thinks I am lol, I just think that yeah it's more tame of an amp compared to the IV and VII. If you like that, cool. I just like the slightly more scooped and gnarly sound of the IV/VII, and even moreso the MkIII. The V has it's fans and I'm just not one of them compared to the rest of the lineup, although I can def dial in a good sound from one if needed.

But hey if it makes people like @la szum angry and gets a reaction, then hell with it, the Mark V blows. What a shitty amp. lol

I don’t think anyone’s actually mad here, it’s all just opinions/discussion/good humor and ribbing

Just sharing my experience/views on it. I have lots of experience with the III, IV, and V and have always found the facet of internet rageboner about the V to be over the top and silly. And I think the prevalence of various wattage Vs I see on stage constantly speaks for itself.

Again all just opinions though. Even if some opinions get a big eye roll me lol. Not all amps are for all people :beer

I had the head. I loved it!

The only slight problem I had was I discovered I liked the IIc+ mode on ch3 best for both high gain and low-mid gain. So I started wishing it was just three channels of that model.
This is absolutely understandable. I have no idea why Crunch and Fat are on there twice, but all the best modes (IIB, IIC, and IV) are all on the same channel. Many of us had the same complaint about the Mark V as well.

This is absolutely understandable. I have no idea why Crunch and Fat are on there twice, but all the best modes (IIB, IIC, and IV) are all on the same channel. Many of us had the same complaint about the Mark V as well.

It would have been cool if they took the channel cloning to thing tk the next level… 7 detent dial with all 7 modes available per channel

It seemed like they were trying to address complaints but choosing fat and crunch to duplicate was kind of a bizarre decision

Back