NAD: Mark VII

quick and dirty comparison video I put together. Don't expect much, this is just a cell phone vid;

These tones are excellent :love:love:love

Despite recent controversial threads I typically find cell phone videos often give me a better idea of the actual tone of an amp than mic'ed recordings ;)

I want to go home and hug my roadster now

You try running them together? between the rectos balls and the mark's midrange I think buildings would be levelled

Unfortunately, mine has to go back for repair or they are just going to replace it as I was told.

Something has gone wrong internally on the amp.
All the tubes light up fine. I just started noticing some strange tonal noises only on the MK VII mode. Switching to other modes and channels was fine and all sounded great.

Then yesterday morning, I turned it on...everything lighting up and no sound. Tried different cables and speaker cables/cabinet just to be sure. Also tried just running it through headphones.

I can hear a normal hiss through the speaker cab, channels change as they should but there is an audible pop now when changing them....it would seem that something has gone wrong on the pre-amp side, I believe.

I am going to try one more thing before it gets sent back by switching a good pre-amp tube through each socket and see what happens.
This is one of those times I wish I had my Orange VT1000. Wish I never sold that thing. I remember it found a bad tube on my XTC years back.
One of those doofus moves on my part! LOL.

No worries though...it is under warranty and I know Mesa is always great for that kind of thing.

Ouch! :hugitout

Just as an update....I had to go to my local shop to get a couple of supplies for some customer guitar repairs. I grabbed a couple of Mesa 12AX7A tubes.

I knew it had to be something simple....
I pulled V1 and replaced it with the new tube and voila.....back to working!
I did check the rest with the amp on and running. The only one that will pop is usually the loop so I put it on standby for that one. You should only do this with pre-amp tubes!

So simple and all fixed.

Last edited:
Listening to the vid again... definitely giving me GAS for the MKVII.

If you were soooo inclined... another clip where you use the classic V shape on the EQ, with some Tool riffs would be lovely!! No need if you don't fancy tho.

And mine has gone kaput once again. This time there is no volume. Just quiet. Checked all tubes. All fine.
Made a strange squelch noise when I flipped on the power button on. I knew something was wrong at that point.

Oh well....sometimes these things just happen. It is obviously something else internal that they will have to check.

Sending it back, sadly! Hope it gets back to me soon.

And mine has gone kaput once again. This time there is no volume. Just quiet. Checked all tubes. All fine.
Made a strange squelch noise when I flipped on the power button on. I knew something was wrong at that point.

Oh well....sometimes these things just happen. It is obviously something else internal that they will have to check.

Sending it back, sadly! Hope it gets back to me soon.

I literally went ”Ah nice!” to “Ahhh shiiiiit” in like 3 seconds between posts.

The only problem I've had with mine was that I cranked the output on the cab clone the other day and the sound shut off. I used a different cable and different input on my interface and all was fine, but I have not been able to recreate the issue since. It's highly possible the tube in my mic preamp is going, or there was an issue with the cable, but it's the only hiccup I've had so far with mine.

Honestly this amp feels like an analog amp modeler. I don't know what sounds I need that this amp cannot provide. Plus it has more gain on tap than any other Mesa I've ever played.

I wonder how Randall squeezed more gain, and also used fewer cascading gain tube stages on the VII??

Diodes? :idk

Back