NAD: Mark VII

So @Desertdweller how do you like Mark VII mode? Does it sound like a recto since you have a solid frame of reference there?

Very interested in IIB mode as well. The low gain clips I've heard are absolutely to die for. Does it get brutal too if you crank the gain?
I disagree a little with @paisleywookiee, but only because it’s a challenging amp channel to set right. I spent some time with VII mode last night and it’s quickly becoming my 2nd favorite mode in the amp behind the absolutely killer IV mode. If you run the VII mode with the EQ on and with an overdrive out front boosting it, yes it absolutely has that recto growl to it. It’s a thick wall of sound brutal distortion when you do those two things with it.

IIB mode is just damn fun. I can see why they put it on channel 3. It has a sharp mid spike to it that is perfect for modern djent styles. I’m a big fan of using overdrive pedals with other Mark amps, but I don’t think any of the sounds on channel 3 need one, they have so much gain, aggression, and tightness on their own that using an overdrive with them makes them a bit overgained. But the IIB mode is special and I can see using it for some of my more progressive music that I want to have some weight and punch to it (lows and crunchy mids) but don’t really want a saturated tone.

I disagree a little with @paisleywookiee, but only because it’s a challenging amp channel to set right. I spent some time with VII mode last night and it’s quickly becoming my 2nd favorite mode in the amp behind the absolutely killer IV mode. If you run the VII mode with the EQ on and with an overdrive out front boosting it, yes it absolutely has that recto growl to it. It’s a thick wall of sound brutal distortion when you do those two things with it.

IIB mode is just damn fun. I can see why they put it on channel 3. It has a sharp mid spike to it that is perfect for modern djent styles. I’m a big fan of using overdrive pedals with other Mark amps, but I don’t think any of the sounds on channel 3 need one, they have so much gain, aggression, and tightness on their own that using an overdrive with them makes them a bit overgained. But the IIB mode is special and I can see using it for some of my more progressive music that I want to have some weight and punch to it (lows and crunchy mids) but don’t really want a saturated tone.
And the GAS grows.... :D

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

Seth Meyers Drinking GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Enjoy! Seriously amazing amp!

Channel 2 in Crunch mode with the gain up and treble up with the EQ on is absolutely an awesome Rhythm tone.

More and more I use this beast, the more I realize I made the right choice for the way I play and what I like to hear.

Congrats on the amp. From all I've heard so far, this seems to be gorgeous. In case you feel like, I'd welcome to hear something about how well the DI recording thing actually works.

On a sidenote: As I type this, not one of the three largest retailers in Germany (Thomann, Musicstore, Musik-Produktiv) has any Mesa amps to sell. Not a single one. No Rectos, no Lonestars, no Fillmore, no nothing. I'm seriously wondering about what's going on there.

On a sidenote: As I type this, not one of the three largest retailers in Germany (Thomann, Musicstore, Musik-Produktiv) has any Mesa amps to sell. Not a single one. No Rectos, no Lonestars, no Fillmore, no nothing. I'm seriously wondering about what's going on there.
They told me that they hope to resolve it by the end of the year.

Seriously? Because wow, that's a long time for such a large company to sell nada all over Germany.
Yeah, they didn't go into details. Basically I was asking coz I was pondering a VII purchase myself... but I may just get this used Recto I found.

I don't have any inside information about the European situation, but Mesa can't even fill all the orders State-side. So I'm guessing they're making the US a priority first, before shipping overseas.

Congrats on the amp. From all I've heard so far, this seems to be gorgeous. In case you feel like, I'd welcome to hear something about how well the DI recording thing actually works.

I’ve been in the Two Notes space for about 6 or 7 years now, so it sounds just like a slightly darker Torpedo Captor X. Mesa’s Cab Clone IR is licensed and made by Two Notes, so I’d expect it to be very good, and I can tell you it is. I loaded my IRs into it and love how it sounds. The stock IRs are very basic sounding, not bad per se, but not anything I would use other than the LoneStar 2x12 IR they have in there, which I do really like for clean tones.

If you like the sound of the Two Notes recording boxes, this one will sound great to you.

I’ve been in the Two Notes space for about 6 or 7 years now, so it sounds just like a slightly darker Torpedo Captor X. Mesa’s Cab Clone IR is licensed and made by Two Notes, so I’d expect it to be very good, and I can tell you it is. I loaded my IRs into it and love how it sounds. The stock IRs are very basic sounding, not bad per se, but not anything I would use other than the LoneStar 2x12 IR they have in there, which I do really like for clean tones.

If you like the sound of the Two Notes recording boxes, this one will sound great to you.
If you tap it at the line out jack and add an IR in your DAW; how does it compare to using the cabclone?

Back