Mushrooms

Today was good. 3 large ticks and one seedling tried to hitch hike, but got kicked off back to the woods before they could take up residence.

I got about 60 morels today.

IMG_4785.jpeg
IMG_4782.jpeg
IMG_4784.jpeg

It's an OK season so far, but I don't think it's going to be a 10-12 lb year of mushroom picking, soil temps are too close to the shutoff point, and there's not much chance for rain or high humidity in the next 5 days to keep things going much longer.

I think I'm going to make some mushroom soup and add these in.

They're great with just a little flour and fried, (I don't care for corn meal and fried as much) but I need to figure out some different ways to prepare them. They're always best fresh, although freezing them properly does well.

They lose something after the dehydrator, and don't quite come back to their fresh state and a little flavor is missing.

I like to keep some around to have with duck breast, venison or elk butterfly steaks in the fall/winter. They're fantastic with moose (as is just about anything), but that's a bit more rare for me these days. My body can't handle the abuse to dress and pack those out as well as it used to, and it's a very expensive trip to get to where they are and get all of the meat back home.

If I had my choice Moose and Bison would be the only 2 types of red meat I consume , with Elk or Caribou being tied for a close third place.

I don't care for morels as much with quail or pheasant, probably because they're too rich in flavor.

Last edited:
It's an OK season so far, but I don't think it's going to be a 10-12 lb year of mushroom picking, soil temps are too close to the shutoff point, and there's not much chance for rain or high humidity in the next 5 days to keep things going much longer.

I think I'm going to make some mushroom soup and add these in.

They're great with just a little flour and fried, (I don't care for corn meal and fried as much) but I need to figure out some different ways to prepare them. They're always best fresh, although freezing them properly does well.

They lose something after the dehydrator, and don't quite come back to their fresh state and a little flavor is missing.

I like to keep some around to have with duck breast, venison or elk butterfly steaks in the fall/winter. They're fantastic with moose (as is just about anything), but that's a bit more rare for me these days. My body can't handle the abuse to dress and pack those out as well as it used to, and it's a very expensive trip to get to where they are and get all of the meat back home.

If I had my choice Moose and Bison would be the only 2 types of red meat I consume , with Elk or Caribou being tied for a close third place.

I don't care for morels as much with quail or pheasant, probably because they're too rich in flavor.
What part of the country are you in - roughly?

PNW here …

Well with the temps you described, must be the Red River of the South 😉

Cool beans. (Family from there … me a wee bit more to the south)

👍
The greenbriar is almost unbearable in the area where I took those pics. I should have brought the machete or small set of loppers in with me.

Back