Mushrooms

I don’t think I could handle those at this point…not even curious to try
mushrooms GIF

I worked for a fancy restaurant when I was in college in Oregon. One of the cooks and I used to go get buckets of chantrelles in the forest along the coast and sell them to the owner of the restaurant. Good times.

These days, I just buy all my mushrooms from the market or the crusty wookiee, if you catch my drift. :LOL:

I hate mushrooms for eating, but I love mycology.

No surprise but I got into it when identifying wild mushrooms as I was desperately looking for purple ringers on the farms and woods of Maine. :rofl

I think the craziest thing I saw in the wild was this huge, 15-20 foot stretch of what looked like white netting/lace/spiderweb, but thick, maybe an 1/8” thick, wrapped all over the underside of a ledge of a trail where the ground gave away under the ledge, creating an alcove. It looked like a rib cage for some crazy ass monster. I thought it was just mycelium forming but when I looked it up later it was the actual fungus itself.

Then I was finally in a position to grow my own and man, I REALLY loved it. It’s quite the process to sterilize everything because one funky spore floating in the room can kill months of work and it cracks me up that in order to recreate nature, you have to practically have lab-level sterilization.

I had things so automated after a while that I was harvesting flushes every day for months. Once you pick off a flush, you can dump the whole substrate in water for 24 hours and in 1-2 weeks get another flush out of it. There was a whole shelf in my fridge with various strains of mycelium floating in mason jars I’d use to inoculate grain with to cut the time down from 2 months to 2 weeks.

It was ballsy, though. It was very clear what was going on just by looking at it and the B+, Golden Teacher, Hawaiian, etc labels on the bins were clearly indicating I wasn’t growing morels. :rofl

No surprise but I got into it when identifying wild mushrooms as I was desperately looking for purple ringers on the farms and woods of Maine. :rofl

I think the craziest thing I saw in the wild was this huge, 15-20 foot stretch of what looked like white netting/lace/spiderweb, but thick, maybe an 1/8” thick, wrapped all over the underside of a ledge of a trail where the ground gave away under the ledge, creating an alcove. It looked like a rib cage for some crazy ass monster. I thought it was just mycelium forming but when I looked it up later it was the actual fungus itself.

Then I was finally in a position to grow my own and man, I REALLY loved it. It’s quite the process to sterilize everything because one funky spore floating in the room can kill months of work and it cracks me up that in order to recreate nature, you have to practically have lab-level sterilization.

I had things so automated after a while that I was harvesting flushes every day for months. Once you pick off a flush, you can dump the whole substrate in water for 24 hours and in 1-2 weeks get another flush out of it. There was a whole shelf in my fridge with various strains of mycelium floating in mason jars I’d use to inoculate grain with to cut the time down from 2 months to 2 weeks.

It was ballsy, though. It was very clear what was going on just by looking at it and the B+, Golden Teacher, Hawaiian, etc labels on the bins were clearly indicating I wasn’t growing morels. :rofl

Hell yeah!

I wish the laboratory I work in was a mycology lab :cry:

Won't go into too much details, but some cops actually saw my tubs at one point. They did not know what they were and thus did not care :rofl

Really need to get back into that. No risk of legal repercussions anymore and once you get past the sterilization thing its a hell of a lot easier than pot lol

Aren't mycelium considered the largest continuous organisms deemed to be "alive" on the Planet? :idk

Isn't mycelium the largest continuous organism deemed to be "alive" on the Planet?

Yes it is!!! Such a trip! (pun intended)

I want to say it’s growing in South America in the rainforest. I know Paul Stamets talked about it on the Rogan podcast a few years back.

Eerie parallels between mycelium and neural networks. Eerie!

And one of the only scientifically verified ways to induce neurogenesis (the growth of
new neurons in the brain) is through the ingestion of a Mushroom. Hmmmm????

Eerie parallels between mycelium and neural networks. Eerie!

And one of the only scientifically verified ways to induce neurogenesis (the growth of
new neurons in the brain) is through the ingestion of a Mushroom. Hmmmm????

Mushrooms are the physical, and the metaphysical point where the snake bites its tail on the ouroboros of life and creation.

BIG WHEEL
1679433413180.png

Last edited:
Gotta dig these shrooms:

If these ants were pumping psilocybin into my brain, I’d put them in my own ears.

I'll head back out on Sunday there were quite a few just too small to pick yet. I'm concerned with temps rising and soil temps being around 60 F already. If soil temps hit 64-65, growth will shut down and the season will be over for the year.

Back