Modeller enthusiasts who can't dial in patches

Dang, talk about option overload.

Buying a preset like that would be very unlikely to save time. You'd spend at least as much time learning what's there and how to access it - including the time required to set up parameters that can't be embedded in a preset - as you would building something you can use from scratch.

Oh, agreed.
Part of my astonishment was that anyone in their right mind would ever bother going through even 50% of the effort that went into that!

But then I imagined playing a 2 hour service where the music has to be dead nuts tight every step of the way and you're covering all sorts of sonic ground the whole time. There's simply no other way to do that gig.

Even if I wanted to though, my attention span is too shot to be able to pull anything like that off these days!

But then I imagined playing a 2 hour service where the music has to be dead nuts tight every step of the way and you're covering all sorts of sonic ground the whole time.
Never having either been involved with nor attended a service where there was that level of stage production, I can't really speak to the demands. It would stand to reason, however, that something like that would have to be very well-rehearsed, with a set order of tunes. I wouldn't consider trying to use a storebought preset for that; I'd roll my own.
Even if I wanted to though, my attention span is too shot to be able to pull anything like that off these days!
Back when I was a full-timer, churches didn't have "praise bands." And, honestly, I wouldn't have considered trying to land a gig like that.

Without wanting to be disrespectful, WTF are "Worship" or "Praise" Presets?
think sesame street GIF

Presets for church music, usually clean(ish) with ungodly amounts of reverb, because, you know, if there's anything a church needs, it's reverb 😁

And gobs of compression to try and keep everything even when you have 2 acoustic guitarists, 2 electric, an electric bass, a full drummer AND percussionist, 2 electric keyboards, 1 pianist, 2 lead singers, and at least double that singing background stuff - all while the congregation is doing their damnedest to try and drown them all out during the choruses. :rofl

Lightning would have struck me dead with the first power chord! :rofl
In the early 1980s, the trend of churches having rock music at their services, although still in its infancy, had already begun. One of the keyboard players I worked with ca. 1982 was also music director at his church. In discussions about liturgical musical styles, I characterized the use of rock music in churches as a misuse of the medium. IMO it was a lot closer to summoning the devil (not that there's anything wrong with that) than to anything else.

Don't tell anyone, but a lot of the Satanists have been running a PR/Identity campaign in an attempt to distance themselves from the old negative Satanic stereotypes. They are now identifying as "Swifties" from what I understand and have reached critical mass! The four horsemen draw nigh, beware and be strong for the days are numbered and the number of the beast is 87!! If you believe any of this, I want some of the drugs you are taking!!!

To be honest, I can't exactly agree with that - at least not in case fullblown presets are concerned.

Thing is, if you want to learn how to build your own presets, you'd likely have to reverse engineer existing ones if you really wanted them to be "helpful". But that very process in itself can be extremely cumbersome, especially as soon as there's some hidden things going on, such as parameters being modified in a kinda hidden way (as an example: snapshot/scene parameter modification) or such as complexed routings with lots of interaction going on.

Fwiw, I have been there when regarding synth patches. I had absolutely no clue what was happening back in the days and people told me to "study" some existing presets. Which really only worked in case they were super simple. As soon as OSC mixers, modulations, sync functions, FM and what not got involved, it all became totally foreign gibberish again.
What really helped me was some synth patch creation series in the german "Keyboards" mag (they even had their own softsynth so everybody was on the same page) and SOS mag's (still excellent) "Synth Secrets" series. Both of those were about exploring and understanding the guts - and I had sooo many "oh, so this is how it's done" moments no single preset examination could've ever caused.

I think it's the same with modeler presets. Watch some tutorials and start with the basics. Understand which amps are there for which kinda sounds (at least sort of), which cabs go best with them generally and how to tweak just those. Proceed with drives. Maybe add some compression. Then proceed with FX.
Very fortunately, this is a lot easier in the amp modeling world compared to synthesis (unless you're going for huge ambient patches).
So, I'd highly recommend looking for patch creation tutorials instead of purchasing presets.

And fwiw, very often presets don't work too well anyway, simply because your playing and guitars might feed them with quite different things than what the patch creator used.
I have nothing against what you're saying, and I actually agree to some. However presets sometimes serves as inspirations to amateurs and therefore helps an amateur jumpstart their journey.

OT but something I was always curious about: Are these P&W gigs paid well?
Some of them are very well paid. I know three world-class musicians who regularly do paid church gigs. They are religious, but they don't work for free. There's one megachurch here in North Texas that has the Dallas Symphony Orchestra perform on occasion. You can bet your ass they're getting paid for that.

Last edited:
Back