Modeller enthusiasts who can't dial in patches

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
1708260330202.png

For effects:

I like a compressor anywhere in the chain, threshold -100 dB, ratio 100:1, attack=0; I find it nicely evens out my clean arpeggios; I use the level setting for a lead boost to improve articulation...

Also, reverb at 50% mix setting to make the tone fuller in the mix

And an always-on flanger, like they did in the '80s

People who give other people money for presets for Helix or Fractal or whatever make me sad. Obviously captures and IR's are different. But paying someone to twisty the knobs? Come on, guy. Leon Todd showed you how to do it. HE SHOWED YOU.
Yeah the only time you should be shelling out money is for captures/profiles imo

For effects:

I like a compressor anywhere in the chain, threshold -100 dB, ratio 100:1, attack=0; I find it nicely evens out my clean arpeggios; I use the level setting for a lead boost to improve articulation...

Also, reverb at 50% mix setting to make the tone fuller in the mix

And an always-on flanger, like they did in the '80s
Your fx chain is stellar, but you made one typical rookie mistake... gotta put a saturator right after the reverb for that sweet crispy tone... and don't forget... if the saturator vu meter is not red... your tone is dead.

Your fx chain is stellar, but you made one typical rookie mistake... gotta put a saturator right after the reverb for that sweet crispy tone... and don't forget... if the saturator vu meter is not red... your tone is dead.

Totally right. Because I read it on the Internet, I decided to stack 4 different always-on overdrives, so that I get the even, odd, 5th, 7th, prime and Fibonacci harmonics. I'm getting what I believe is a very creamy tone.

People who give other people money for presets for Helix or Fractal or whatever make me sad. Obviously captures and IR's are different. But paying someone to twisty the knobs? Come on, guy. Leon Todd showed you how to do it. HE SHOWED YOU.

I agree with this, with one caveat. IME, twisting the knobs works as long as you know what to listen for. As an amateur player, when I first moved to digital I had a hard time getting the tones I was looking for; I later realized my ear was not developed enough to really understand the standalone and in-the-mix sonic implications of each knob twist. It took longer than I thought to get to a stage where I know how to get what I want. Buying presets is the quick medicine... that doesn't work. But it is attractive when you are so frustrated with your tone.

I agree with this, with one caveat. IME, twisting the knobs works as long as you know what to listen for. As an amateur player, when I first moved to digital I had a hard time getting the tones I was looking for; I later realized my ear was not developed enough to really understand the standalone and in-the-mix sonic implications of each knob twist. It took longer than I thought to get to a stage where I know how to get what I want. Buying presets is the quick medicine... that doesn't work. But it is attractive when you are so frustrated with your tone.
Presets are a great help to amateurs.

Back