Here's a trick to couple your guitar to your modeller and your power amp properly.

SKU

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
For those who miss the amp feel when using modellers into solid statez and dedicated power amps in general
- Plug your guitar into a good buffer and then into your modeller. It surprised me how much better the Cornish buffer makes the base signal sound.
- Plug your modeller into the loop of a C-lator or Kleinulator ( cheaper ) and plug that into the power amp.This is next level chit right here. If you never tried, try it!

Last edited:
What is this kleinulator supposed to do?
Originally designed as a buffer for Dumble style passive effects loop. In this case it allows you to basically raise the output of the modeller to the level a power amp would expect. So in a way couple the preamp to the power amp the same way it would work inside a modern amp.
In my case Tonex directly into my solid state power amp sounds and feels like ass not to mention that I lose some sparkle and even maxing out all volumes will not output a signal even close enough to clip the input to my power amp.
With the Kleinulator you are able to set the level that goes into the modeller, set the level that goes out of the modeller and recuperate lost gain along the way.

With the Tonex it's night and day difference ... for not that much money... In my case I had the unit laying around unused but still ...

Random JTM DI profile / Fender Strat. Mid point I activate an overdrive pedal.

For those who miss the amp feel when using modellers into solid statez and dedicated power amps in general
- Plug your guitar into a good buffer and then into your modeller. It surprised me how much better the Cornish buffer makes the base signal sound.
- Plug your modeller into the loop of a C-lator or Kleinulator ( cheaper ) and plug that into the power amp.This is next level chit right here. If you never tried, try it!
I have both a C-lator and a Kleinulator. Both are great, but the I prefer the C-lator because of the way it looks and the front versus top control knob access.
PXL_20240327_170842395_1.jpg

A buffer adds nothing and even obstructs the input impedance handling of the modeler (when present), and most modelers are already capable of putting out line level signal. Also, it’s just signal level, not tone.
Also, you're wrong!

I'd like to see some charts and graphs.

I haven't noticed any difference in the behavior of my modelers if I put some buffered pedal in front, even ones with good buffers like my Strymons. Similarly haven't had any need to have any additional tools whether running into a Fryette PS or my BluGuitar Amp 1's fx loop which takes both instrument and line level.

Maybe the Tonex hardware is just crap at this stuff if it makes a difference?

I may agree on the input buffer, especially in case the on-unit one isn't too great, but IMO typically, these days it's not much of an issue anymore.
The loop buffer devices however seem to be a perfect waste of money (unless they're deliberately coloring the tone, something I wouldn't want).

The loop buffer devices however seem to be a perfect waste of money
Maybe wrt use with a modeler, but not for my use case.

My KK50 has an unbuffered effects loop, and in addition to buffering, the C-lator provides controls for send , return, and makeup gain levels.

It definitely makes a difference when using my pedalboard in 4CM. Also very useful with the HX Stomp in 4CM since unlike the Helix Floor, you can't configure heterogenous send/return signal levels in the loop block. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back