Modeler/Tube amp question

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
With one guitar player using a 100 watt tube amp and the other using a 100 watt modeling amp (Katana) would adding a small tube amp to the loop on the Katana help it cut thru the mix the way the tube amp does?

In theory, does this provide modeler flexibility with tube power? Or, am I way off base…

Let the ridicule begin.

I used to run small tube combos as sidefills on bigger stages. It worked great! I'd do it again.

It was more to help me hear and get some juicy feedback than to help me cut. I'd think a
biting combo cranked and all spitty would add some nice midrange content. :idk

Last edited:
I hope you mean a tube preamp…and not a poweramp ;)

IMHO the powersection of the katana doesn’t help surviving a stage sound ….typical for any solidstate ime…the mids go overboard and your stuck with a can of bees.
The modeling of the katana is fine. I gigged a katana once..(got listed right after ;))…Kemper into the return…my conclusion..whatever good you put into it comes out crippeld.

I have no problem keeping up with our other guitar player’s traditional pedalboard/tube amp rig, and I’m running no tubes in my signal chain. The trick is knowing how to EQ your rig to “slot in” with everything else. As is true with tube rigs, less gain and more midrange is the key to finding your space in the mix where you are easily heard without relying on sheer volume to compensate for a rig that is dialed in poorly.

I think the main problem people have is that they dial in their sounds at home, at low levels, and that never translates well to being heard in a loud band mix. And with modelers, there are so many parameters that can be set wrong that it’s difficult to quickly home in on the problem spots on the fly.

they dial in their sounds at home, at low levels, and that never translates well to being heard in a loud band mix.
I learned that fact a long time ago, was not cutting thru in the band's mix, so I wanted to adjust my tones at rehearsal. But that went over like a loud fart in a church. The other members didn't like me taking rehearsal time to do it. So I'd try to tweak my tone a bit at a time.

But it's still hard to do, because what you're hearing isn't what the audience hears. The best we ever came up with was to point the PA back towards us at times (not always), and I'd use a wireless during sound check (when we had them), to try and put any finishing touches on it.

I learned that fact a long time ago, was not cutting thru in the band's mix, so I wanted to adjust my tones at rehearsal. But that went over like a loud fart in a church. The other members didn't like me taking rehearsal time to do it. So I'd try to tweak my tone a bit at a time.
I really relate to this. A major reason why I bought into the Line 6 ecosystem is being able to quickly adjust parameters. But at the church gigs it’s still a weeks long process to dial it in.

Back