Mirror Profiles IRs. No one can post the 'Told Y'all' gif on this one

I hope he doesn’t mind me revealing this here, but when I was having the issues with my FM9 and trying to get a new one, he very graciously gifted me two IR packs of my choosing. That’s right, he gave me something from his own business to cheer me up when I was having trouble with a different company’s product.

The IRs I got sound great, and I’m not just saying that because he was so kind. I’d put them up there with the York stuff. But he’s also a real stand-up guy, and will definitely be my first stop for IRs in the future.

Thanks again @MirrorProfiles , I hold you in the highest regard sir :beer

I hope he doesn’t mind me revealing this here, but when I was having the issues with my FM9 and trying to get a new one, he very graciously gifted me two IR packs of my choosing. That’s right, he gave me something from his own business to cheer me up when I was having trouble with a different company’s product.

The IRs I got sound great, and I’m not just saying that because he was so kind. I’d put them up there with the York stuff. But he’s also a real stand-up guy, and will definitely be my first stop for IRs in the future.

Thanks again @MirrorProfiles , I hold you in the highest regard sir :beer
Which packs did you try? All the clips up sound killer!

Which packs did you try? All the clips up sound killer!
I got the Eighty Four T75 and Brit T75 packs, for the new JCMs of course :rofl Fractal’s stock cabs don’t actually offer much for proper Marshall T75 cabs, which I consider an essential part of that classic 80s 2203/2204 sound.

I’ve been using nothing but them for the last couple weeks but I’ll branch out to some of his other offerings soon ;)

Crush Blushing GIF

Ha thanks guys. Honestly it’s rad seeing you guys who I chat with regularly about gear putting them to use and getting the same enjoyment I get from them. I worked my ass off to find a technique that gave results that stood up to how I normally mic cabs, and obviously I wanted to try and give the different speaker/mic/position options which was hard to find elsewhere….

I should add, it wasn’t just that I felt bad for @SwirlyMaple ‘s bad luck - it was how graciously he handled that situation that made me want to try and give something back. He selflessly put himself out of pocket and kept chill, so it felt right to try and do something nice.

Last edited:
I got the Eighty Four T75 and Brit T75 packs, for the new JCMs of course :rofl Fractal’s stock cabs don’t actually offer much for proper Marshall T75 cabs, which I consider an essential part of that classic 80s 2203/2204 sound.

I’ve been using nothing but them for the last couple weeks but I’ll branch out to some of his other offerings soon ;)
Man; I'm a HUGE fan of t75s from way back. I'm probably going to have to dive in a bit deeper
dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

I wish instead of the scratch pad on the Fractal, it was a drop down for a local folder location that could handle nested folders. So many good ones
Ha yeah, I’d love for them to be organised a bit differently in Fractal devices. Something closer to a dynacab interface would be ideal.

If you’re able to hook your device up to a DAW with a plugin IR loader, it can be quicker to audition them there and then once your tones are built to add those IR’s to your Axe FX. Can also be cool to export blends, I do this a bit too.

The new Cabinetron plugin is awesome for searching and navigating lots of folders and IR’s. I also dig STL Libra, and even NDSP plugins just using the cabs and bypassing the pedals and amps (cool for running standalone with an amp+load box or modeller going to the input). The best loaders for my IR’s IMO are ones where you can scroll sequentially through the IR’s so it approximates moving the mic through the positions like you would by dragging a mic around. You quickly get a feel for which mics and positions are your reference points

Ha yeah, I’d love for them to be organised a bit differently in Fractal devices. Something closer to a dynacab interface would be ideal.

If you’re able to hook your device up to a DAW with a plugin IR loader, it can be quicker to audition them there and then once your tones are built to add those IR’s to your Axe FX. Can also be cool to export blends, I do this a bit too.

The new Cabinetron plugin is awesome for searching and navigating lots of folders and IR’s. I also dig STL Libra, and even NDSP plugins just using the cabs and bypassing the pedals and amps (cool for running standalone with an amp+load box or modeller going to the input). The best loaders for my IR’s IMO are ones where you can scroll sequentially through the IR’s so it approximates moving the mic through the positions like you would by dragging a mic around. You quickly get a feel for which mics and positions are your reference points
I do the same with my daw. I just wish it was internal to the Fractal. It seems silly to say it but 1024 user slots isn't enough.
I use airimpulse, lancaster pulse, ggd cali, libra, mixIR3, wall of sound, neural, cablab4....
You're right, the ones with folder drop downs win. I hate pointing to new folders or dragging IRs into slots like Libra or mixIR.
I like the auto audition feature in Fractal but having to drag items is a 'drag'.
I'm too fussy but it's not my fault. If you're going to give me 900 IRs, I'm going to try them all. If I like them all, now where do I store them? I laughed at the TMP memory card slot but then I thought....hmmmm.

What would you recommend for IR pack for early VH tones , ill buy that pack
On the weekend for sure
I should preface by saying I’m not the biggest Van Halen fan so I haven’t tried recreating his tones too closely….. With some bands and genres I can go a bit deeper with recreating specific sounds.

I would say the 3VH Greenbacks are my favourite sounding Greenbacks I’ve ever come across. They’re from the first year of production for the EVH stuff and there’s some slightly different design features (the speakers have solder terminals rather than the clips, and they have date stamps rather than sticker labels). They have a bigger and more modern low end than other Greenbacks, which makes a natural scoop which is awesome for amps with a lot of midrange like a Plexi.

The actual cabinet itself is clearly based on a 70’s style 1960B, and I’m sure the enclosure itself is contributing to how cool they sound.

I really dig my 1960TV pack too, they have the 6402 cones that are pretty desirable these days. To my ear they’re a bit more classic/vintage sounding.

I can try and coax some VH style tones and see which one feels closer to me - my instinct is to recommend the EVH pack, they usually make things fun to play and I think that element of fun is a huge part of VH’s sound.

I should preface by saying I’m not the biggest Van Halen fan so I haven’t tried recreating his tones too closely….. With some bands and genres I can go a bit deeper with recreating specific sounds.

I would say the 3VH Greenbacks are my favourite sounding Greenbacks I’ve ever come across. They’re from the first year of production for the EVH stuff and there’s some slightly different design features (the speakers have solder terminals rather than the clips, and they have date stamps rather than sticker labels). They have a bigger and more modern low end than other Greenbacks, which makes a natural scoop which is awesome for amps with a lot of midrange like a Plexi.

The actual cabinet itself is clearly based on a 70’s style 1960B, and I’m sure the enclosure itself is contributing to how cool they sound.

I really dig my 1960TV pack too, they have the 6402 cones that are pretty desirable these days. To my ear they’re a bit more classic/vintage sounding.

I can try and coax some VH style tones and see which one feels closer to me - my instinct is to recommend the EVH pack, they usually make things fun to play and I think that element of fun is a huge part of VH’s sound.

Hey MP !

I just have to say I just listened to some of your IR demo's where you compare the real mic'ed signal with the IR and am stunned at just how "perfect" the IR's are relative to the "real rig" ...not just sound and tone but somehow, that "bouncey" / "spongy" thing is there ... that is *not at all* a common thing.

Awesome work !

Ben

I also like his stuff and really appreciate that most of them include compensated impedance curves for the Suhr Reactive Load.
That means if I shoot a direct NAM profile of my amps through the Suhr Reactive Load, using the Suhr compensated IRs in his packs I can get closer to how the actual cab would behave with my amp; splitting hairs but it does make things "feel" better

Cool Ill def Try the 3VH pack on the weekend I will give you some feedback and Upload my experience on your site for that pack
Right Now Im testing Dynacabs and Some IR 4 x12 Fractal GB + 4x12 G12m

Cheers

Bought the BFMV Artist preset/tone match some time ago bc I suck at dialing in Metalcore. Great sound. I guess with new amps n stuff it would be even more great 🙃

Best IR for 2000s Metalcore? Mesa OS with SM57/421 combo? Heard the 1992 sound clip of that and it already sounded amazing.

Hey MP !

I just have to say I just listened to some of your IR demo's where you compare the real mic'ed signal with the IR and am stunned at just how "perfect" the IR's are relative to the "real rig" ...not just sound and tone but somehow, that "bouncey" / "spongy" thing is there ... that is *not at all* a common thing.

Awesome work !

Ben
Ha this was something that was absolutely essential for me when making the IR’s. I didn’t want any compromises when using load boxes to micing up a cab. It sort of kicked my ass into learning about all the interactions that take place, but I think the results were worth it.

It was only really once I got my technique down with making IR’s that I realised just how good modelling is these days. Once they sounded indistinguishable with real amps, they’re ideal for modellers.

Kind of blew my mind that I was able to match my real amp+cab+mic tones using a modeller+IR

Back