Michael Nielsen (Big Hairy Guitars ) Ask Me Anything?

I dig your YT channel. Your vids even got me to buy the Friedman cabs for 2 notes WoS even though I don't care for or use 2 notes products lol. With that said I do like your ear for things, do you think you or Dave would ever sell IR packs that are not tied to 2 notes? Just IR's, not a billion IRs in a folder(s), just like maybe 10 of your favorites? Glad you are here. 🤙
His channel has a fountain of useful information.

hi Michael !!! can you recommend a hedphones to use with Kemper or any amp modeler?
I think the Slate VSX are balanced and light on the head. A little pricey because them have a whole software attached with them, but as headphones even without the software they're really good. Also, most AudioTechnica headphones had a nice balance that sound good for guitars. IMHO.

Watched two of your vids recently: (1) your Soldano x99/88/sp77 vs slo comp vid— dude that is a great video—and (2) the Palmer simulator EVH rack one.

I see you have/had what looks like a 3 switch import 4 holer Marshall Super Lead. I have a ‘69 and want to eventually get some sort of reactive load but am deathly afraid of blowing up the amp or the original transformers. Any recommendations for this; one better than others and can handle the load? You seem like a Fryette dude but thought I’d ask since you have some valuable gear
I wholeheartedly trust Fryette gear. But the Palmer stuff works really nicely with my Marshall because the Palmer is darker, so it balances out the top end a bit.

@BigHairyGuitars

Hey Michael, the Uber Ultra video you did was awesome! Thanks for the deep dives into the new controls, that was super helpful.

One more thing I'd like to ask about the Uber Ultra though. With the original Uberschall, the Presence was more like a Mid Contour knob. Dialing the Presence really low on those amps was a lot like deep scooping the mids. On the Uber Ultra, when you set the Presence to the "U" setting, does the same kind of Mid Contour scoop happen when you turn the Presence way down?
I wish I could answer that exactly. But I don't have the head to try. The controls on the Uber are all super interactive. So I didn't really think of the controls in that way. They could almost have no name labels on the controls, and you just turn the knobs until you find the desired level of scoop / body / tight / crunch.

Hi Michael!
Your video about the Dann Huff Tyler Signature guitar is addictive. Especially the intro song. In addition to the fantastic guitar playing and the emotionally affecting composition, the synth mats that sound discreet in the background are brilliant to me.
They add a lot to the final result. It's as if they sometimes complement the guitar as a kind of unison layer.
Oh, how nice it would be to see just visually the session screen, the arrangement, much could be learned from it for us mere mortals, but I know that's not possible. :giggle:
May i ask what synth instruments (software or hardware) you used in this song?
Thank You and best wishes from Hungary!
Thanks so much! I do a lot of blending keyboards. So I might use a piano under a synth just to get the attack I'm looking for, Or I'll blend 2-3 synths to get the right body and brightness cutting through. I'll check the session and see if I can pull some specifics.

Hi Michael, can you contrast your Reb Beach Suhr v. your new James Tyler in terms of feel and tone? What's your favorite super strat and why? Thanks! Also, I still hope we can learn more about how you learned to mix. I know this was asked earlier, but any insight would be appreciated. Maybe a video?
Hi! Both feel like high end machines for sure.

The Suhr feels more woody. The neck has a very wood feel, almost a little porous, so it feels like wood. That combination of woods has a more Gibson soft but rich midrange and a bit of a muted top end. It's great for fat warm leads. The cleans can sometimes feel a bit "plinky" without a nice long sustain attached to them. The guitar does a good Andy Timmons Reb Beach impersonation. And it's beautiful. It's the flattest neck (not quite Ibanez flat though) I have and super easy to play.

The Tyler feels very precise. The lacquer on the neck is probably sanded down more than I like. So it feels like super super smooth raw wood. It's very very even and is balanced and has nice sustain. I don't have the bottom end beef of the Suhr, it's more clear and open. Almost hi-fi. It can do great "rack-Landau" and it can do the bluesy stuff too. It's hard to get it to do the harder rock stuff though. It plays super smooth and fast. Mine is a combination of Huff and Landau specs. It's Huff pickups, the whole kitchen sink of switching and electronics, but the Landau neck. The Huff neck was too flat. The Landau spec neck is more standard C.

May favorite neck is a slightly bigger C (almost D) shape. My Green/blue Shabat was shaped perfectly for me. I LOVE the Tyler (will keep it forever) and it does some unique things that no other guitar does, and love the Suhr (will probably keep it forever), but my daily driver 1st call guitar is the Shabat. I need to get another in standard tuning so I have one in E and another in Eb

Hi, Michael. Love your channel. Keep up the good work.

Quick question:
How are you connecting your rack gear periodically when you want to use it? I know you had everything wired one-to-one to the Apogee at the NT studio, but how do you manage it now that you’re back home? One of your recent videos mentioned a rack in the corner of your room, but I didn’t get a look at it. Are you using patch bays? Dante? Single-use connectivity?

Just trying to get some ideas to improve my own home studio workflow.

Thanks again and keep making videos. I’ll be watching.

CJY
At my old big studio I had each piece of rack outboard connected to a discrete I/o in the interface. It took a lot of inputs on the Apogee! At home I'm using a Lynx Aurora interface, which is phenomenal. I only have a few pieces always connected, and others I can swap in on a patch bay, so things get moved around.

Digitally connected always:
Bricasti M7 Reverb
Lexicon PCM96 Surround Reverb

Analog:
(2) API mic pre / EQ channels
(2) Overstayer mic pre channels
Alan Smart C1 (SSL) compressor
API 2500 compressor
Neve 33609 compressor
Manley Massive Passive eq into Manley Vari-Mu compressor
Lexicon PCM70 fx

So, stuff gets moved around, I MOSTLY use the Bricasti, SSL comp, and API comp, and API mic pres.

Nice to see you here Michael. I've been a fan of your channel for years now and find it very informative and fun. Since you have played most, if not all, great nineties preamps (newer too), what would be an "entry level" preamp (meaning you can buy it for 200-600€ range) you recommend that has great roaring distortion and is reliable? I've recently begin to add analog gear to my setup, ksr ceres, sinvertek no5, victory kraken v3(have you tried that one?), and now I'm intrigued by old classics like mesa studio preamp&triaxis (out of my price range, I know), h&k Acces (you got awesome roaring distortion out of it in one of your videos), brunetti mille (again, your video), ada mp-1 or mp2. Do you have any suggestions of other maybe cheaper preamps that sound like those mentioned I could consider and hunt from reverb? I think triaxis would be the ultimate, but it's 1000€ range which to me at the moment is too much. Brunetti mille sounds so good, but it seems to be difficult to find. So, I would like your opinnion on buying a best bang for euro preamp.

Hi! Thanks!

I think the Marshall JMP-1 and ADA MP-1 are still the best starting points. They're classics. I'd try to keep it to $600 and under.

Less iconic, but still very killer sounding is the Engl 530 preamp and IMO can hold it's own against most preamps.

If you want to dive deep into more nostalgic lower end rack tones the Digitech (80s-90s), and ART (80's) and Rocktron (more 90's) stuff is super fun to play with.

Hi! Thanks!

I think the Marshall JMP-1 and ADA MP-1 are still the best starting points. They're classics. I'd try to keep it to $600 and under.

Less iconic, but still very killer sounding is the Engl 530 preamp and IMO can hold it's own against most preamps.

If you want to dive deep into more nostalgic lower end rack tones the Digitech (80s-90s), and ART (80's) and Rocktron (more 90's) stuff is super fun to play with.

Hi Michael,

Big fan of your channel! Bought some cool toys the past few years and blamed you each time. My wife would LOVE to meet you....

How about the Peavey Rockmaster?

fgscn5sqsumjzt6c7akp.jpg

Hi! Thanks!

Ada might be it. I remember wanting one when I was like 20. I saw the adds all the time in the guitar magazines and I do love Nuno. I think I try to find that or the brunetti mille. I've found couple of Mille's but those are in italy and neither guy wants to sell outside of Italy. Ada stuff can be found in reverb but the prices range from 550-1000€. But it's always a possibility to make an offer and see what happens...

Before I bought my fm3 I actually was thinking of getting e530 since they are quite cheap but sound good. That might be an option to try too. Orginally the idea was to get fractal and not collect a lot of stuff but...well GAS is real.

Actually I'm also thinking of selling my fm3, they go for a good price in EU, and get Amperium instead. It's a lot cheaper, less complicated and sounds good. FM3 is overkill for me. I get my fx from the daw, so I only use it for amp modeling and an as an audio interface. I could then fund my preamp chase with that money.

Hi Michael, love your channel, I’m getting my home studio setup,
for recording guitar direct with IR’s (no ability for mic’ing cabs at this time)
would you use a direct box and/or mic pre in signal chain? Specifically
for direct outs from amp, (JVM), and preamps (JMP1, ADA, Engl,
Mesa Studio pre, etc).

For IR’s, I recently bought celestion speakermix pro, but can’t use it with
current mac OS/latest Pro tools studio till they update compatibility.
Do you have recommended IR loader (ideally free) to get me started?
I did pick up a couple of York Ir’s and a few celestion non dsr IR’s so
should have enough to start, but always looking for other recommendations.

Lastly, with my Axe FX 3, any suggestions for recording to get more authentic
tone? Can’t find much out there using this device for recording. Goal would be to
get decent sound for songwriting with ability to reamp later either with axe fx
or real amps to fine tune and finish. One person recommended using RNDI in
signal path, so I do have that to experiment with, any other suggestions?

Hey Michael,

I’m deliberating over which flexible chorus pedal to put on my board and since you’ve got such a great ear for tone wanted to get your take. What chorus pedal would be your go to for all the glorious 80s searing guitar hard rock tones but also delivers more subtle chorus in STEREO.

Merry Christmas and HNY!
Ed

Hi Michael,

Big fan of your channel! Bought some cool toys the past few years and blamed you each time. My wife would LOVE to meet you....

How about the Peavey Rockmaster?

fgscn5sqsumjzt6c7akp.jpg
What would be a good price for a rockmaster? Someone is selling 1 in reverb for over 500€ and that seems too much.

Back