Michael Nielsen (Big Hairy Guitars ) Ask Me Anything?

hey michael...favorite chorus plugins for guitar? i am on pro tools, so whatever works with pro tools...

thanks! love your stuff.
The Tc1210 plugin is pretty good. It’s more digital and less transparent than the hardware, but still cool. Also the Eventide Tricerachorus, is their TriStereo chorus AND it has Micropitch shift as well. You can run both from a single plugin instance. That’s super cool.

I also really like the Gem Mod (Dimension D), and the Chorus JUN-6 from Arturia is great.

The Tc1210 plugin is pretty good. It’s more digital and less transparent than the hardware, but still cool. Also the Eventide Tricerachorus, is their TriStereo chorus AND it has Micropitch shift as well. You can run both from a single plugin instance. That’s super cool.

I also really like the Gem Mod (Dimension D), and the Chorus JUN-6 from Arturia is great.
thanks! appreciate you also answering my PM the other day.

Hi Michael! I've already sold your Big Hairy ir pack and it's very cool. I'm plugin guy and what's your favorite amp sim for 80's clean and drive tones?

What’s super dope about you is
you have 2 ears & a brain..and all three work!
You sent the meathead militia back to the meathead gallery.
-the guitar is only ONE instrument in the mix,
Oh you wanna bring those monstrous mutes
and half Yngwie-but in the mix??
-there’s no weight.
Save it for In School Suspension!
(my ole’ home away from home btw)

I bet Zappa would really dig the way you understand the “mechanics” of instrumentation
and have the ability to map it out and put it all together into something worth a poop at the end of the day.

As Tony Soprano would say in that bold assertive Jersey ‘crude & caustic’ bossman manner-
“You’re one of my Captains”

Watched two of your vids recently: (1) your Soldano x99/88/sp77 vs slo comp vid— dude that is a great video—and (2) the Palmer simulator EVH rack one.

I see you have/had what looks like a 3 switch import 4 holer Marshall Super Lead. I have a ‘69 and want to eventually get some sort of reactive load but am deathly afraid of blowing up the amp or the original transformers. Any recommendations for this; one better than others and can handle the load? You seem like a Fryette dude but thought I’d ask since you have some valuable gear

@BigHairyGuitars

Hey Michael, the Uber Ultra video you did was awesome! Thanks for the deep dives into the new controls, that was super helpful.

One more thing I'd like to ask about the Uber Ultra though. With the original Uberschall, the Presence was more like a Mid Contour knob. Dialing the Presence really low on those amps was a lot like deep scooping the mids. On the Uber Ultra, when you set the Presence to the "U" setting, does the same kind of Mid Contour scoop happen when you turn the Presence way down?

I just watched your Uber Ulta vid Michael... 👀

1681978657621.png

Hi Michael!
Your video about the Dann Huff Tyler Signature guitar is addictive. Especially the intro song. In addition to the fantastic guitar playing and the emotionally affecting composition, the synth mats that sound discreet in the background are brilliant to me.
They add a lot to the final result. It's as if they sometimes complement the guitar as a kind of unison layer.
Oh, how nice it would be to see just visually the session screen, the arrangement, much could be learned from it for us mere mortals, but I know that's not possible. :giggle:
May i ask what synth instruments (software or hardware) you used in this song?
Thank You and best wishes from Hungary!

Hi Michael, can you contrast your Reb Beach Suhr v. your new James Tyler in terms of feel and tone? What's your favorite super strat and why? Thanks! Also, I still hope we can learn more about how you learned to mix. I know this was asked earlier, but any insight would be appreciated. Maybe a video?

Last edited:
Hi, Michael. Love your channel. Keep up the good work.

Quick question:
How are you connecting your rack gear periodically when you want to use it? I know you had everything wired one-to-one to the Apogee at the NT studio, but how do you manage it now that you’re back home? One of your recent videos mentioned a rack in the corner of your room, but I didn’t get a look at it. Are you using patch bays? Dante? Single-use connectivity?

Just trying to get some ideas to improve my own home studio workflow.

Thanks again and keep making videos. I’ll be watching.

CJY

Back