Michael Nielsen (Big Hairy Guitars ) Ask Me Anything?

Thanks Woody. I hear stuff from the top down. My partner in my scoring company hears things bottom up. I'm sure it's because growing up I was listening for the guitar, and ignoring the bass, and keys. When I remember many songs from my youth, I sing the harmony line, not the lead line. So there are some weird things that I've had to sort of unlearn myself. (if you will)

Thinking about it, one of the biggest challenges to me for rock music is the separation of bass guitar and E guitar. Until I was 20ish I would always try to cover both areas with the guitar. Listening to most hard rock, when the bass is following the guitar part, it just sounds like a huge deep guitar sound. Like I said, I'm listening top frequency's downward. I suppose if I was listening bottom up, I'd focus on the bass, then hear when the guitar takes over. So the idea of HPF / cutting the guitar bottom end to make the overall mix sound bigger was something I couldn't grasp.

Once I had to dig into orchestral arranging, it opened everything up for me. You can't really fudge an orchestral arrangement by adding distortion to the double basses, or massive low end EQ to cellos, or quad tracking cellos. Everything has to have it's place, and less is more, OR the end result is small the out of balance.

Guitar gets more complicated because the tone of guitar/pedals/amp can drastically effect it's optimal range, and how it blends with the other instruments. I think that's where the fascination comes from, because the tone of the guitar is almost as important as the parts. There are still some miracles out there like Pantera... how can everything be so scooped and cutting, but also full and punchy 🥷
GREAT information here.

HI Michael,
I wanted to ask someone that I KNOW has classic reverbs and delays and knows how to use them.
Is it just me or is the Eventide H9 /H90 just not as good sounding as the older H4000 racks and the delays and reverbs are just incapable of a half decent rendition of the PCM42 and TC2290 . I think the factor pedals sound better and they are supposed to have the same algorithms. There is also a sheen over the sound in ALL the algorithms that I can't get rid of.
A difficult one I know but am I just programmed to like the old classics that I grew up listening too and then playing through?
Or are we all just accepting a cut in audio quality for connivence the same as everyone seems happy to take with audio equipment.
I think you're spot on. No one can really put their finger on why. Maybe its the older converters, or the better analog signal patch (in the old gear). It's similar to a good new Strat vs a good 1963 Strat. There's just a cool vibey record quality in the older ones.

Michael,
I just bought a used Runt 20 head and love the video review you did on it. I am always surprised at how little info is in the manual on using the XLR out from the back of the head. How did you hook up to your interface/DAW? and set the inputs.
I have an Apollo Solo or a Focusrite Scarlett. Is it XLR straight to XLR on the Interface. I know if I cross over to a 1/4" jack on the Apollo it treats it as high Z input. As its already load emulated I guess just an input with no cab etc loaded onto it..
Yeah. Straight into the interface of the Scarlett. Then set the level on the Scarlett so you're not clipping / overloading. It's really straight forward. I dont' know the technical side, but these 20w amps don't need a load at all. It's great.

Yeah. He had it all on 2" tape. I had mentioned, "MAN, you should mix that and put it out." He didn't seem to keen on it the idea. 😭

Hahahaha does that guy seem keen on any idea? I’m not sure I’ve heard a guy spoken of so highly with as many people who have wanted to work with him, but they can’t seem to drag him out of his house! Too bad, the dude rips and could most certainly fill the void Zakk Wylde left behind when he went full-on biker and got a bit one-dimensional with his playing. If I remember right, The Winery Dogs were originally supposed to be Sykes, Sheehan and Portnoy. Definitely not complaining about Kotzen, but it would have been cool to see Sykes out there tearin’ it up!

I've been really trying to find more (and better) videos of PCM42's - it really feels like one piece of hardware that should have been emulated properly by now and hasn't been for whatever reason.

Perhaps at some point you could do another dive into the PCM42 and show the differences with plugins (perhaps slamming the input limiter as well as with more conservative levels) and maybe highlighting where you hear the biggest differences? I'm not sure there's anyone better positioned to do this test properly, so would be awesome if its possible...

Yeah. He had it all on 2" tape. I had mentioned, "MAN, you should mix that and put it out." He didn't seem to keen on it the idea. 😭

It's kind of sad that some guys like John seem so reluctant to put material out.

I do kind of wonder if the lawsuits involving Ray in the past have a role to play in that. Might not
be able to find a label to put it out, and if John did it himself it would open him to lawsuits from
the survivors of those impacted by Ray's poor decisions in the past. None of the Badlands stuff
has been reissued (from what I understand) for the same reasons.

Picked up the BHP IR pack this AM. Your suggestions of Greenie 2 and the V30/GB blend were both great. Using the Greenie with the FAS JVM Green channel model sounded :chef

Hello Michael, I'm Currently learning Plush and I watched your Video on Dean Deleo's Gear

Very very Nice
Question? I've tried both guitars LP EMG actives and LP P-90's for this tone and I'm finding I get much better results using my P-90 but on the record Core he did use Humbuckers I'm wondering why this is So?
I have a Yamaha Revstar II Coming in a few weeks in which i have a set of PAF Alnico II which i plan to put in once I get the guitar
would this set of Pickups be even more accurate than my P-90's?
Also any IR you can Recommend for this particular Tone ?

Thank you for your valuable insight

Last edited:
Hello Michael, I'm Currently learning Plush and I watched your Video on Dean Deleo's Gear

Very very Nice
Question? I've tried both guitars LP EMG actives and LP P-90's for this tone and I'm finding I get much better results using my P-90 but on the record Core he did use Humbuckers I'm wondering why this is So?
I have a Yamaha Revstar II Coming in a few weeks in which i have a set of PAF Alnico II which i plan to put in once I get the guitar
would this set of Pickups be even more accurate than my P-90's?
Also any IR you can Recommend for this particular Tone ?

Thank you for your valuable insight

Yeah, I think any PAF-ish pickup will work perfectly. P90 should be pretty good, but that a sound I think of more in their later records. I'm sure he used humbuckers because of the era. That first album was pretty heavy, they were battling against Dual Rectos and 7 strings. The V30/Greenback IR in my pack will do that sound nicely. But the most important element is the Demeter preamp

Hahahaha does that guy seem keen on any idea? I’m not sure I’ve heard a guy spoken of so highly with as many people who have wanted to work with him, but they can’t seem to drag him out of his house! Too bad, the dude rips and could most certainly fill the void Zakk Wylde left behind when he went full-on biker and got a bit one-dimensional with his playing. If I remember right, The Winery Dogs were originally supposed to be Sykes, Sheehan and Portnoy. Definitely not complaining about Kotzen, but it would have been cool to see Sykes out there tearin’ it up!
Oh it would've been so much better with Sykes! :sofa

Yeah, I think any PAF-ish pickup will work perfectly. P90 should be pretty good, but that a sound I think of more in their later records. I'm sure he used humbuckers because of the era. That first album was pretty heavy, they were battling against Dual Rectos and 7 strings. The V30/Greenback IR in my pack will do that sound nicely. But the most important element is the Demeter preamp
Do you have an opinion of which amp model in the Axe FX would get you closest to those Core tones? Iirc, people have been asking for a Demeter for a while.

Do you have an opinion of which amp model in the Axe FX would get you closest to those Core tones? Iirc, people have been asking for a Demeter for a while.
I'm using the Bogner Shiva along with a Vox AC-30 a Greenback IR and a Bluebell Cab pretty much there
patch has 3 snapshots for different parts of Plush

1674643754962.png

Thank you Michael, Yes the Demeter but not available so Bogner Shiva and VOX AC-30 it is, and for now its my P-90 till i get my Revstar II
do you have Link to your IR pack? Id like to try your IR suggestion (y)

Cheers

Thank you Michael, Yes the Demeter but not available so Bogner Shiva and VOX AC-30 it is, and for now its my P-90 till i get my Revstar II
do you have Link to your IR pack? Id like to try your IR suggestion (y)

Cheers
Thanks.

Thanks.

Great IRs \m/

hey michael...favorite chorus plugins for guitar? i am on pro tools, so whatever works with pro tools...

thanks! love your stuff.

Back