Michael Nielsen (Big Hairy Guitars ) Ask Me Anything?

I'm trying to choose between:
- CAE 3+ SE preamp + VHT 2/50/2
- CAE OD100

I can't buy both to compare. I'm leaning towards the preamp + power amp (more expensive option). Please help choose :p.

Hi Michael,

Big fan of your channel! Bought some cool toys the past few years and blamed you each time. My wife would LOVE to meet you....

How about the Peavey Rockmaster?

fgscn5sqsumjzt6c7akp.jpg
Congrats on finding a RockMaster with all of the knobs in tact!!! Thanks for the heads up, I now carry "wife-away" spray... just in case.

While you are on Michael, are you still digging the Tone X pedal? I see it pop up from time to time on your channel and it makes me happy to see you are still using it post "honeymoon" phase.

Ada might be it. I remember wanting one when I was like 20. I saw the adds all the time in the guitar magazines and I do love Nuno. I think I try to find that or the brunetti mille. I've found couple of Mille's but those are in italy and neither guy wants to sell outside of Italy. Ada stuff can be found in reverb but the prices range from 550-1000€. But it's always a possibility to make an offer and see what happens...

Before I bought my fm3 I actually was thinking of getting e530 since they are quite cheap but sound good. That might be an option to try too. Orginally the idea was to get fractal and not collect a lot of stuff but...well GAS is real.

Actually I'm also thinking of selling my fm3, they go for a good price in EU, and get Amperium instead. It's a lot cheaper, less complicated and sounds good. FM3 is overkill for me. I get my fx from the daw, so I only use it for amp modeling and an as an audio interface. I could then fund my preamp chase with that money.
If you can tolerate the quirks of the Amperium, it sounds REALLY good!

Hey Michael -Love your YT channel and I noticed you have a a darker green Shabat Tele with a Reverse headstock , Floyd and humbuckers . I'm sure it's been covered somewhere but what model is it or is it a one off?
Thanks!

It's a custom they made for me. But it's basically their Lion model (tele shape). The neck is custom shaped It's between their standard sizes. It's like a fat Les Paul or NoCaster, with a little of the C shaved off, so it's kinda like a D with more shoulder than their standard. I love it so much. Best neck I've ever felt. I went through a few different pickups and settled back on their standard Lollar Imperials (which I love). High Wind in the bridge, standard in the neck. Floyd with a D Tuna. This guitar is always in Eb. They're building me another one that I can have in standard tuning all of the time. That one will be a Gotoh 510 bridge. High Wind bridge and El Rayo in the neck. Can't wait.

Attachments

• MN Shabat.jpg
    MN Shabat.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 20
While you are on Michael, are you still digging the Tone X pedal? I see it pop up from time to time on your channel and it makes me happy to see you are still using it post "honeymoon" phase.
Tonex SOUNDS great. The interface was really annoying me, but they just did a big update and fixed a LOT of things. I'm looking forward to diving back in.

I'm trying to choose between:
- CAE 3+ SE preamp + VHT 2/50/2
- CAE OD100

I can't buy both to compare. I'm leaning towards the preamp + power amp (more expensive option). Please help choose :p.
I think the preamp / power amp will cost WAAAY more. I think it's probably $4k vs $2k ish. The Suhr clean channels are amazing, and both get into that Luke lead zone. The preamp will probably come across more scooped and fuzz tone-ish, and the amp more mid full bodied. If you're ready to dive into a whole rack system, go for it! But if you just want those tones, you can get it on the OD100.

I see that you're currently using some ATC SCM25A monitors whereas you were previously running the Barefoot Sound MicroMain 27 monitors. They're similarly priced. Which ones do you like better?

Michael in your opinion which device is more accurate Kemper or Tonex,i cant ask for the QC because you dont own that device

What cheap audio interface would be the best? I'm intending to sell my fractal I've used as an audio interface for the last 3 years or so. Pricerange 150-200€. I had a scarlet before fractal and that sucked. Idea is to connect preamps to my daw where I can use poweramp modeling, ir, eq, reverbs, delays and such. The cheaper the interface, more money I have to purchase preamps😀. Looking to get 3-5 in the long run.

What cheap audio interface would be the best? I'm intending to sell my fractal I've used as an audio interface for the last 3 years or so. Pricerange 150-200€. I had a scarlet before fractal and that sucked. Idea is to connect preamps to my daw where I can use poweramp modeling, ir, eq, reverbs, delays and such. The cheaper the interface, more money I have to purchase preamps😀. Looking to get 3-5 in the long run.
Not Michael obviously but I wasn't a fan of my focusrite but I'm pleased with my Audient. I have the EVO8 right now but had their ID14 (I think) in the past and they've done fine for me

Not Michael obviously but I wasn't a fan of my focusrite but I'm pleased with my Audient. I have the EVO8 right now but had their ID14 (I think) in the past and they've done fine for me
ID14 goes for 140€ in Finland, thats a great price if the product is good! I did have focusrite before and it was not great. But Audient id14 mk 2 is a contender at least.

ID14 goes for 140€ in Finland, thats a great price if the product is good! I did have focusrite before and it was not great. But Audient id14 mk 2 is a contender at least.
Which Focusrite? The larger, mains powered 2nd and 3rd gen ones are right in your budget used. I have been using a 2nd gen 6i6 for years without any major complaints.

Back